Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:17 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9thwonder View Post
yes, NC and SC are attracting (most likely) young and middle class families, as well as retirees. Florida is more likely to attract people from NY, NJ, etc... as well as ppl from other countries. It is funny how West VA and Kentucky are now becoming hot spots now too. KY looked very pretty and very NC-like in my opinion. Also, I am sure the people are just as friendly, and the cost of living is cheaper than the Carolinas, Tennessee, or Northern GA.
From my experience of living up here in NC, you're right in that NC is attracting alot of young and middle class families, singles in their very late 30s and early 40s and less of the young and single crowd. From what I've seen, FL attracts more of that young and single crowd with some families thrown in. And, folks in NC, including the transplants can't drive or they choose to ignore the standard rules of driving.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:33 AM

227 posts, read 970,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
If you look though, North Carolina ranked higher for percentage, not actual number of people relocating:

NC: Increased by 184,046 people, which was an increase of 2.12% for them

FL: Increased by 321,697 people, which was an increase of 1.81 %

Florida's percentage is less because we started with over 18 million people where North Carolina started with under 9 million......NC is less populated to start with.
Exactly. The rate of growth is higher and rising in NC and is rising in SC. The rate of growth is slowing in FL. You can't make a total number growth comparison because Florida started with many more residents. That's why rate of growth percentage is used to make these comparisons.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in JAX View Post
Exactly. The rate of growth is higher and rising in NC and is rising in SC. The rate of growth is slowing in FL. You can't make a total number growth comparison because Florida started with many more residents. That's why rate of growth percentage is used to make these comparisons.
Because NC and SC are less populated those growth percentages will always make the news, and deservedly so. But growth rates for states are not static. For example, retirees were pouring into Nevada last year. Not so this year.

You have to look at absolute numbers too. Florida's growth rate is slowing but in terms of numbers more retirees are migrating to Florida than to the Carolinas. And in absolute growth numbers Florida was second only to Texas. Florida will continue to be among the top ten destinations, some parts of Florida more than others.

Still I like the fact that the Carolinas have a lower COL. But that will change too, unfortunately..

Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 AM

98 posts, read 287,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
If you look though, North Carolina ranked higher for percentage, not actual number of people relocating:

NC: Increased by 184,046 people, which was an increase of 2.12% for them

FL: Increased by 321,697 people, which was an increase of 1.81 %

Florida's percentage is less because we started with over 18 million people where North Carolina started with under 9 million......NC is less populated to start with.

This is true, but I am not sure why gaining more of a population, in an already crowded state, is a good thing. Why is this a good thing? Plus, the kind of people that NC attracts are probably different than the people that FL will attract. They are probably gaining more middle-class, educated folks moving to NC trying to find a better quality of life. Many of them Floridians. The state of Florida, although I like FL, sometimes attracts the wrong crowd.

In my humble opinion, NC wins this hands down, by the fewer people moving IN, and the people the state attracts.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:37 AM

"And, folks in NC, including the transplants can't drive or they choose to ignore the standard rules of driving."

I think you meant to say in FLORIDA (not NC) "people cannot drive and ignore the standard rules of living", didnt you?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:17 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
This is true, but I am not sure why gaining more of a population, in an already crowded state, is a good thing. Why is this a good thing? Plus, the kind of people that NC attracts are probably different than the people that FL will attract. They are probably gaining more middle-class, educated folks moving to NC trying to find a better quality of life. Many of them Floridians. The state of Florida, although I like FL, sometimes attracts the wrong crowd.

In my humble opinion, NC wins this hands down, by the fewer people moving IN, and the people the state attracts.
Nobody is saying it's a good thing or a bad thing. This is not about bragging rights. Moreover we are not talking about the type of people (other than retirees) that NC attracts. It's not like they have brownshirts waiting at the border.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:14 PM

In the previous posts, it seems like people are suggesting, "yeah, NC is increasing in population %-wise more than FL, but FL is attracting more people." And then we had like 2 more responses regarding FL's increase in population is higher than NC's based on sheer number of people.

Regardless, I can throw my 2 cents in too.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
"And, folks in NC, including the transplants can't drive or they choose to ignore the standard rules of driving."

I think you meant to say in FLORIDA (not NC) "people cannot drive and ignore the standard rules of living", didnt you?
No, I meant NC.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:56 PM

People in NC drive much better. I am not sure what you mean? Not sure what you meant by "the standard rules of living" ...

Old 11-15-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
People in NC drive much better. I am not sure what you mean? Not sure what you meant by "the standard rules of living" ...
Couple example from the past couple of days: ignoring the rule of 1st to the stop is the first to turn or go straight ahead, use of the turn signal is a foreign concept, for some inexplicable reason people here like to hold their brakes while they're in front of you with no car in front of them, merging into traffic for some of the folks around here is still a hard thing to do, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville