Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:45 PM

30 posts, read 57,565 times

Advertisements

Finnally made it down to looked into retirement homes. We stayed at the Marriott in Ponte Vedra, and got a good look at Nocotte (sp?) Ponte Vedra, St. Augestine, Mayport, and Amelia. I've also done a good many hours on Trulia & Zillow with the for sale and the sold listings. Noct. was very nice, esp. Dell Web, but then I see some very nice areas in and around Pirates Wood in Yulee. I also see that that area has a mega store or two, Home Depot and Wall Mart? I'm thinking those stores are expecting rapid growth otherwise they would not have built in that rural of an area? I see that right outside Pirates Wood that there are some nice land plots for sale for 24-50K which have some very nice homes built already and that there are little or no restrictions on how you build. The Ponte vedra area is very nice but it only has a small amount of single family homes in the 170-230K range, most of which are old and I'm sure not built to todays R values and hurricane standards. The area is tops though, walk to the beach and you are close enough to get a dryer on shore summer breeze with less humidity. I'm thinking that picking up land for now, as my job should last another 1.5 years, and then building in Pirates Wood or close by. I know that the only negitives are the schools and that there are some who don't fit into the newer look of the area but that wouldn't bother me much. Also I like to fish and boat, don't think the Pirates Wood ramp is that good as the creek is W/O water at low tide. Anyway I'll appricate any feedback. Oh, I'm really looking to buy or build a concrete-styrofoam home. Thinking it would save on utility bills and home owners insurance. BTW, we could go up to the 250+ range if we have to, just that the wife and I don't need the extra sq. ft. Would like to keep a good 20' above sea level too, my old home town in NJ got slammed by Sandy last year, glade I moved to the hills years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 PM

I see the North Jax, The Cape area, seems to have lots of 2500 Sq. Ft. homes that have sold for about 170-180K. Any reason why they cost much less then some of the other areas? The delevelopement seems to be only about ten years old?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:16 PM

375 posts, read 444,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INXS View Post
I see the North Jax, The Cape area, seems to have lots of 2500 Sq. Ft. homes that have sold for about 170-180K. Any reason why they cost much less then some of the other areas? The delevelopement seems to be only about ten years old?

While there maybe some houses in The Cape that are only 10 years old, a large portion if not most are more in the 30 year range if not older. The Cape is one of the first upscale neighborhoods to be built in the North-side. Also down Yellow Bluff Rd close to US 17 is Eagle Bend Island. You might want to check there also.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Thanks, I've Googled "N JAX Crime" and seem lots of info.. I've yet to look into crime reports maps for that area but I do realise that not too far away seems to be the worst area for crime in the region. As some pointed out "They have cars and can drive into safe areas to steal". I also see lots of othe older developements in the Jax Augestine area that have very good prices but I'm not buying into older a tech home as insurance, heat, cooling, would cost more. I could also save by hiring my own builder and also recieve a tax break for new construction.
Anyway thanks again.
I'll look into those areas a bit more.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 PM

146 posts, read 224,702 times
Actually the unsafe crime ridden area is the Northwest quadrant, no where near the Cape or Eagle Bend Island. Another place you may want to look at to buy land and build a house is Black Hammock Island. Plus I have a good friend who about 10 years ago built a 3200 sq ft 2 story concrete-styrofoam home in The Cape and just raves about his energy cost savings.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:26 PM

Crime map doesn't lie I would think. I',m going to narrow my searches to the northern part of Yulee and the Ponte Vedra Noctatee areas. Dell Web is nice but Yulee would have the savings and coustum building that I need as I boat and may want to store one or more of my boats in my yard. Dell Web does have a great indoor pool and a high end gym, all at an extra cost. LOL Pontee Vedra has the location but older homes in the sq. footage I would want. LOLs Its good that I've got about two years to decide, the sooner the better is I buy land though.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:00 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INXS View Post
Finnally made it down to looked into retirement homes. We stayed at the Marriott in Ponte Vedra, and got a good look at Nocotte (sp?) Ponte Vedra, St. Augestine, Mayport, and Amelia. I've also done a good many hours on Trulia & Zillow with the for sale and the sold listings. Noct. was very nice, esp. Dell Web, but then I see some very nice areas in and around Pirates Wood in Yulee. I also see that that area has a mega store or two, Home Depot and Wall Mart? I'm thinking those stores are expecting rapid growth otherwise they would not have built in that rural of an area? I see that right outside Pirates Wood that there are some nice land plots for sale for 24-50K which have some very nice homes built already and that there are little or no restrictions on how you build. The Ponte vedra area is very nice but it only has a small amount of single family homes in the 170-230K range, most of which are old and I'm sure not built to todays R values and hurricane standards. The area is tops though, walk to the beach and you are close enough to get a dryer on shore summer breeze with less humidity. I'm thinking that picking up land for now, as my job should last another 1.5 years, and then building in Pirates Wood or close by. I know that the only negitives are the schools and that there are some who don't fit into the newer look of the area but that wouldn't bother me much. Also I like to fish and boat, don't think the Pirates Wood ramp is that good as the creek is W/O water at low tide. Anyway I'll appricate any feedback. Oh, I'm really looking to buy or build a concrete-styrofoam home. Thinking it would save on utility bills and home owners insurance. BTW, we could go up to the 250+ range if we have to, just that the wife and I don't need the extra sq. ft. Would like to keep a good 20' above sea level too, my old home town in NJ got slammed by Sandy last year, glade I moved to the hills years ago.
Good luck finding 20' above sea level! There's some of it around - but not much. Parts of the Monument Road area are that high IIRC. You can build up that high - but it won't be cheap.

Also - it's not that easy finding newer existing CBS houses. If you want that - you'll probably have to build.

The Yulee area is (overall) a bit too "southern" for my taste (even though I've lived in Florida for 40+ years) but YMMV. Robyn

Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM

216 posts, read 475,582 times
I would look at the St Augustine bay area, lots of docks, easy Atlantic access, well protected unless we get a direct hit!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 AM

Thanks all, still looking into info provided. I see some land for sale in Whispering Oaks in St. Aug. Beach with some fair prices. I know some of these communities have hidden costs such as you have to pay into the resort, some I hear cost 40K. And then there are restrictions on what you can have built and who can build it for you. Anyway I also see St. Aug. Shores, a bit more high and dry but a good 4 miles inland, I think I would lose the sea breeze that far in? I'm really set on building, contracting, with the new cement styrofoam construction as I hear it really can cut down your home owners insurance, is this true? Don't know about your area but here in NJ insurance inside flood palins, aka hurricane ins. has gone up 5-10 fold with some folks paying 5-10K for a 350K home which would be equal to one of your 200K homes. Just wondering how the rates are, I know they factor in a lot of varibles, just thrying to get an ideal of one the islands vrs the mainland. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,679 times
It looks like you may need some help
many of our newer sub divisions here in St Aug are developed by one developer and then they sell off areas to new home builders who then build out and you can only use those builders
You will need to find vacant land where there are no restraints building the way you want tpo to.
The Shores is not far from the ocean and you do get the breeze but not as much as being on the island
There are some vacant lots in Seagrove on the island where you can use any builders and this may help
Flood insurance on the island is not as expensive as you think as long as you are not oceanfront Suggest you call an insurance broker and ask ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville