Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 10:22 AM

32 posts, read 68,424 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to St. Johns County in the spring. Traveling next week to see the area and zone in on a neighborhood or two.....the plan was to rent for a year and build in the chosen area. We were very interested in WGV until the internet & cell concerns came up....

We have been with AT&T for over a decade and even have our business account with them and are still in a contract for our cell phones. We also use them on our Wi-Fi tablets for personal and business use.

At home we have Century Link here in Denver and rely heavily upon it daily for business use. Can I get the scoop from locals about the internet situation in WGV.

Does anyone have any other info for other areas:
Palencia
Las Calinas
Nocatee
Durbin Crossing

These are the neighborhoods that we are considering - we had narrowed it down further but now with this situation, I have re-opened my options.....

Also, I should mention that this is something that MUST be up and running STRONG the day we move in! Since we both run businesses from home, I can't relocate a family of six to an area that has "future plans" for wireless.....thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 PM

20 posts, read 35,981 times
I have had AT&T for both Cell and internet and I live in Murabella. No problems there. I now have Comcast for internet as the router for AT&T died and for the same price I got much faster speed.

I am aware that there have been some reception issues inside the King and Bear in the past, but I do now know what it is like now. Sorry I don't have more info on that.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
If it were me, I'd bring a laptop on my trip there and do internet speed tests while in the various neighborhoods (ideally connected to a WiFi out of a Starbucks or something). I know you can also go to the internet provider's websites and plug in exact addresses to see if they service that address just to be certain. If Comcast services an address you can be almost certain the connection is reliable and fast. I would not mess around with satellite or cell provider's like AT&T, I would ensure everything is "wired."

I will be in the same boat, require high-speed internet that is both fast and reliable and either cable (preferred) or DSL. So when we narrow down our search to a few houses I'll actually bring a laptop into the house to triple check connectivity and speed. Crazy? Maybe, but my job depends on it.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
AT&T and Comcast are by far the most utilized and both have very good coverage in all those areas. I dont know if WGV forces you to use some HOA enforced Internet service, but you can't lose with AT&T and Comcast.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:12 PM

23 posts, read 38,231 times
Default Palencia internet

Are there any updates I regards to internet in Palencia. Like everyone else, my wife and I both require reliable and high speed internet for our work from home jobs.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
This isn't a Palencia thread, so not sure. Comcast still reigns supreme.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Palencia, St Johns Forest and St Johns Golf & Country Club all still are tied to that Litestream cable/internet provider. I spoke to some folks who live in SJG&CC and they said within a year or so they will likely get out of their contract with Litestream and be able to utilize Comcast or AT&T. I asked how their service was and they claimed it was still very sketchy - goes out and slows down at seemingly the worst (busiest) times.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:24 PM

23 posts, read 38,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Palencia, St Johns Forest and St Johns Golf & Country Club all still are tied to that Litestream cable/internet provider. I spoke to some folks who live in SJG&CC and they said within a year or so they will likely get out of their contract with Litestream and be able to utilize Comcast or AT&T. I asked how their service was and they claimed it was still very sketchy - goes out and slows down at seemingly the worst (busiest) times.
That doesn't sound good. I checked their website and it said they offered speeds up to 100 Mbps and even up to 115 Mbps in certain areas. I'd imagine at those speeds you should be ok...anyone else have anything to share?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:20 AM

64 posts, read 163,841 times
Just an FYI, comcast services the king and bear neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville