Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:20 AM

54 posts, read 128,010 times

Advertisements

So I just returned home from a scouting trip to the Jacksonville area. While checking out the Eagle Harbor neighborhood in Fleming Island (beautiful neigborhood!) I was speaking with a couple who were actually having a home built in Eagle Landing and were meeting with their builder or agent, or something like that. I had mentioned that we were having a tough time deciding between Eagle Harbor or Fernandina Beach as each have so much to offer but they are quite different. Anyhow their response was that they wouldn't consider a move to Fernandina due to the horrible drug problem the island has. Now my children are very young (4 and 2) but that still would be a valid concern if in fact there's any truth to it. I have done a lot of research on Fernandina and have never come by the town having a "bad" drug problem. I kind of first wrote it off as these guys just talking out of their you know what but now I have started to really think about it quite a bit. I can't really find anything online to validate what they were saying so I thought I would ask the community here what they know about it. I understand drugs use is found everywhere but me being from Colorado could tell you which towns and neighborhoods around here are known for having "bad" drug issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM

190 posts, read 315,933 times
I recently spent about a month in Northeast Florida, about 1 week in the Fernandina/Amelia Island area and never
noticed a "bad drug problem" area. On my frequent runs around the area I did see a couple of people smoking what
I assumed to be pot, but never more than 3 and always in a secluded area. I would say with the college/university
in St. Augustine there is more drug use there than in all of Fernandina. But even saying that I wouldn't consider either
area to be a ''Bad Drug Area.''

Old 12-17-2013, 03:14 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Drugs are everywhere. Niether area is considered to have a huge drug problem, but moth areas have their skethy pockets.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 PM

That's what I was expecting to hear. Thanks for the responses!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 PM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
We have been in this area over 24 years and the last 13 living in Fernandina Beach..............I have never heard of this area having a troublesome drug problem, but sometimes the most obvious things are hidden. Our children are a year away from Kindergarten but we have friends who have children that have gone through the school system here and have done very well without any negatives. Our school system was recently recognized as having one of the highest graduation rates in the state.

It is funny as you hear so many comments about the area you live in and the one we hear most is that there are too many affluent retirees moving to this area

Good luck with your move

Old 12-18-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We have been in this area over 24 years and the last 13 living in Fernandina Beach..............I have never heard of this area having a troublesome drug problem, but sometimes the most obvious things are hidden. Our children are a year away from Kindergarten but we have friends who have children that have gone through the school system here and have done very well without any negatives. Our school system was recently recognized as having one of the highest graduation rates in the state.

It is funny as you hear so many comments about the area you live in and the one we hear most is that there are too many affluent retirees moving to this area

Good luck with your move
Excellent thanks! I do wonder how there are so many, what look like, multi million $$ homes on the south end of the island. I guess I too thought there were a good population of affluent retirees.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
There are still plenty of us poor people living here

Old 12-22-2013, 03:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley615 View Post
So I just returned home from a scouting trip to the Jacksonville area. While checking out the Eagle Harbor neighborhood in Fleming Island (beautiful neigborhood!) I was speaking with a couple who were actually having a home built in Eagle Landing and were meeting with their builder or agent, or something like that. I had mentioned that we were having a tough time deciding between Eagle Harbor or Fernandina Beach as each have so much to offer but they are quite different. Anyhow their response was that they wouldn't consider a move to Fernandina due to the horrible drug problem the island has. Now my children are very young (4 and 2) but that still would be a valid concern if in fact there's any truth to it. I have done a lot of research on Fernandina and have never come by the town having a "bad" drug problem. I kind of first wrote it off as these guys just talking out of their you know what but now I have started to really think about it quite a bit. I can't really find anything online to validate what they were saying so I thought I would ask the community here what they know about it. I understand drugs use is found everywhere but me being from Colorado could tell you which towns and neighborhoods around here are known for having "bad" drug issues.
I am originally from Colorado, too. I've been in Fernandina Beach about 6 years. I teach preschool.

Never heard of a "bad drug problem" here. Sure there are the occasional incidents, we do live in a beach town where tourists come to play. But nothing out of the ordinary, and the public schools are highly rated.

There *are* affluent retirees here, and a lot of them do live on the south end of the island. I am neither affluent nor retired, and I like living in town.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:10 PM

654 posts, read 945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley615 View Post
Oh God, Fernandina Beach does not have a drug problem. Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. You want to see a gritty, declining area with a drug problem? Check out the Northside of Jax. Fernandina Beach is actually a very nice community; it's hardly full of druggies and derelicts. I used to do a lot of business up there; I was on the Island at least once a week for several years. By the way: If you appreciate historic architecture, other than St. Augustine, Fernandina is the only place in metro Jax that has a significant amount of Victorian-era homes and commercial buildings. It's a charming little town.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,831 times
Okay, let's get real about Fernandina here for a minute. I had kids in FBHS for the 2013-14 school year so I am relating their observations about drug use amongst their peers.

It is WAY worse than one would think. I personally know at least 25 kids who are overt drug users, easily twice that amongst kids that many people would say "no way" when asked if so and so uses. By rough estimation, my kids seriously think over half of their classmates are pot smokers to some degree, be it casual or regular use. I have had conversations with staff and administrators who are more than just a little aware of the number of kids involved, many of the teachers can name names but don't or won't for reasons I'll never understand. Nothing like watching a promising life fizzle out beore your eyes. Great educators there.
There's not much for these kids to do on the island - going to a movie or the beach gets old pretty quick to a kid - so drugs and alcohol become about the only place to turn. Since the community is so focused on generating the tourist dollar, programs and activities for pre-teen and up kids that are enough to keep them interested are few and far between.
Can't bury our heads in the sand much longer, Amelia Islanders, our kids are suffering for our misdirected focus. There are too many local kids stuck here after high school with marginal jobs and not much to look forward to, if we think they won't find drugs we're the ignorant ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville