Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 05:39 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times

Advertisements

I am new to this particular site. I did read the "Sticky" in the beginning about not posting irrelevant or repetitive questions, but I really would not know if anyone has asked this bedfore. I am sorry if it has been gone over already.
I was looking at real estate ads for Jacksonville and saw a lovely condo , very affordable & it had a fireplace. Does it get cold enough on winter nights for that ? It sounds heavenly if it is true. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 05:46 PM

725 posts, read 2,571,302 times
Yes, it gets cold enough. We go through about one box of firelogs per year. There are plenty of cold nights to use it.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I used the 'fake' logs in Tampa when it got in the 40s there. Granted you aren't going to heat anything other than your backside if stand next to it, but just seeing the fire made you feel warmer.

Jax gets a lot cooler so you could use the 'real thing' there.

You considering Jax to retire?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Default where to retire???

I just am so unsure. I do not know if I would adapt to all the icy rain in Portland. I really do love warm weather.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,462 times
In my opinion, NE Florida gets just nippy enough in the winter to give reason for enjoying the sounds, smells and gentle warmth of a fireplace without getting so cold as to actually "need" one.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
In my opinion, NE Florida gets just nippy enough in the winter to give reason for enjoying the sounds, smells and gentle warmth of a fireplace without getting so cold as to actually "need" one.
That is a great way to put it!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
I don't have one in my current home, but it definitely gets cold enough to warrant an outdoor fire/firepit .

I wonder if the ad you saw was for a wood-burning fireplace or one of the gas fired ones? Just curious since most or all of the new construction has gas-fired, I believe.

I plan to install a wood-burning stove in the house I'm moving to (it has an old chimney and I can have the flue lined). So, yes, I think you can make use of a fireplace from time to time here .

Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 AM

725 posts, read 2,571,302 times
I'd like to add something for anyone thinking of going to a gas fireplace. We thought it would be wonderful to have one of those remote control gas fires to turn on with a push of a button. We said, yeah, lets get the BIG one! Little did we know that buying big means BIG gas flow. And that stuff is very expensive. Our gas bill was huge. I used so much gas that during the xmas holidays we had no gas in the house. I had no heat xmas day and it was dang cold. In the end we remove our wonderful $900.00 gas fixture and placed it in the attic. We now use the fake logs and spend about $15.00 dollars a year for "ambiance". Think small when buying gas fireplaces.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 AM

208 posts, read 819,708 times
Default no use

I don't see a use for fireplaces in Jacksonville. I have had fireplaces in Apartments, and in my current house, and I have not lit one in 7 years.

Of course different people have different tolerances for the cold. For me it's not worth the cleanup of a fireplace to use it a few times, I would rather just turn on the heat throughout the night and keep warm that way.

To each their own.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:58 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
probably get to use it 2 weeks out of the year. maybe 4 if you're sensitive to cold temperature.
It's fine to have one if the room's big enough to warrant a fireplace that doesn't take up space. Because it'll be there mostly for the look and a selling point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville