Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:40 PM

65 posts, read 256,725 times

Advertisements

I usually get the veggie on a cuban roll (I like it pressed flat like a Cuban sandwich) and the wrap; although I'm not a fan of red peppers or raw onions, so I make them make it without the ailoi (which is basically a spread made from the aforementioned two ingredients), substituting regular yellow mustard. I try to stay away from dairy (I am, however, a cheese fiend), so sometimes I'll get it without, although lately (especially after Thanksgiving...oy! The homemade green bean casserole I made was delicious) I haven't really been caring, so I'll get it with pepperjack cheese.

The veggie flatbread looks really good, too, but it has lots of cheese (which I'm sure could be toned down), but I haven't tried it.

The salads are okay, but they use mixed greens and I usually just eat regular old spinach, it's heartier and a "superfood", so I don't eat salads that often, but if I do, I usually make it myself a throw and little bit of everything on it. Our black bean salsa is pretty good.

And: I can see the validity in your argument. Fish is at least good for you (well, unless you fry it) and it's pure protein and good fats. Most people use the "I'd be vegetarian but hamburgers are so good" argument. I'm not trying to convert everyone, I just think Americans eat waaaay too much meat (and byproducts; I do admit that I eat soy/veg hot dogs and don't feel bad about it, because even though they are "inspired" by a meat product, they aren't at all and taste and are so much better for you than regular 'dogs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toops View Post
I'm not trying to convert everyone, I just think Americans eat waaaay too much meat...
....and supposedly meat and dairy consumption is on the rise world-over!

So Mawipafl, what's sounding good to you?

Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Default Update

All recommended restaurants sounded so good -- I figured the only way to choose was to post them on a piece of paper on the wall and toss darts at them to make a choice!

In the end, I chose Gene's Seafood since it's practically across the street from FCCJ. Service was fast and personable. We arrived at 5:45 and were out at 6:30 -- we could have been out earlier, but we took our time eating. When we arrived there was only one other table of diners, but when we left there were a few more - whether the service would have slowed a bit once there were more to serve, I don't know. Quite an extensive menu and prices reasonable. Mixed review on the food itself: clam chowder and calamari were excellent; huge portion of popcorn shrimp; cajun chicken over pasta was not over spiced and very good, but the crab cakes were a bit too spicey to enjoy the taste of the crab. The sweet potato arrived cold.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions -- can't wait to try out the others!

PS We did make it to the Wilson Center in plenty of time to get good seats for the FCCJ Dance Showcase.

Last edited by mawipafl; 12-07-2007 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-07-2007, 07:33 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Glad it worked out!

Old 12-29-2007, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,230 times
dart leagues and tourneys??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville