Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:09 AM

190 posts, read 315,648 times

Advertisements

I heard from a couple of guys I played golf with today that
construction of the New Bass Pro Shop in St Johns County
won't begin until whatever road they are building (9B?) actually
joins up with I-95 where the store is supposed to be located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwebb1986 View Post
I heard from a couple of guys I played golf with today that
construction of the New Bass Pro Shop in St Johns County
won't begin until whatever road they are building (9B?) actually
joins up with I-95 where the store is supposed to be located.
That sounds about right. In the meantime - I assume you've been to West Marine in the Town Center (but mention it in case you haven't). We go there occasionally when we need stuff like stainless steel screws. Also Dick's has a good assortment of low to medium end fishing stuff. Robyn

Old 06-26-2014, 04:04 PM

I bought a couple of my more serious offshore reels (2 Penn International 50Vsx) from the West Marine at the town center, just last week.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:29 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Or even a single yet. SHOW US THE MONEY.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:26 PM

You mean you put off sleeping with your wife because something is wrong on the internet? I don't do that - and don't think you do it either. I think more of you than that <LOL>. What in life is as good or better than sex except perhaps for great food once in a while ? Robyn

Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I bought a couple of my more serious offshore reels (2 Penn International 50Vsx) from the West Marine at the town center, just last week.
What are you trying to catch offshore here? Perhaps Kingfish this time of year? If so - I can give you my mother's Kingfish recipe - more or less. It's the only fish she ever cooked that wound up edible. Robyn

Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What are you trying to catch offshore here? Perhaps Kingfish this time of year? If so - I can give you my mother's Kingfish recipe - more or less. It's the only fish she ever cooked that wound up edible. Robyn
For Kingfish ... Naw! For Kingfish I use my Shimano SpeedMaster IV's.
My Penn International 50Vsx's are mainly for marlins out on the Ledge.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:44 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Family living though doesn't promote urbanization. Quite the opposite.

Jacksonville, IMHO, is becoming more and more suburban. I visit every 6 months to visit family. When I was 18 to 22 I used to go to a plethera of nightclubs, bars, and lounges which none exist today. Several were in the downtown area. Some were at the beach. The new last call at 12am I'm sure didn't help there any.

But typically urbanization comes from the young, single or couples type who have a little money, not the upper-middle class, unless they have some money too.

If the schools suck, its not going to take urban amenities, but suburban family amenities to compensate. Obviously Jacksonville lacks in that area too.

I've got several friends down there who make a decent wage, are in their mid 30's, no kids. They just don't have alot of extra cash to go downtown to spend. Aside from their rents/mortgage, they tell me what their utilities are running and lots of other necessary expenses and I have a heart attack. Are there enough mid-30's types who have the extra cash to go and spend downtown? I can't imagine there are lots of jobs like that left.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:04 PM

I picked up my date at her condo in downtown Jacksonville last night and after negotiating my way through the various one way streets to find my way to go to San Marco to get to Matthews Restaurant where we had reservations. I ended up on Main Street headed towards the Main Street Bridge and I noticed an old building that used to be boarded up with Jaguar stuff painted on the covered up windows, now was no longer boarded up and looked to be well into a new refurbishment. Now if just more old empty buildings in downtown Jacksonville could just follow suite, I'd feel better off investing my families money in some downtown Jacksonville projects.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I picked up my date at her condo in downtown Jacksonville last night and after negotiating my way through the various one way streets to find my way to go to San Marco to get to Matthews Restaurant where we had reservations. I ended up on Main Street headed towards the Main Street Bridge and I noticed an old building that used to be boarded up with Jaguar stuff painted on the covered up windows, now was no longer boarded up and looked to be well into a new refurbishment. Now if just more old empty buildings in downtown Jacksonville could just follow suite, I'd feel better off investing my families money in some downtown Jacksonville projects.
Was it the Bostwick building (the one on the left of this picture)?

Downtown's Bostwick Building, Famous For Its Jaguar Mural, Has Buyer | WJCT NEWS

I've been waiting for years for something to be done with that building. Would be great if something is happening now.

How did you like Matthews? We had lunch at Moxie today. It has a new summer menu and the new items we had were . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville