Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:28 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger20 View Post
What I was trying to say is that it does have good schools and we like it but I am not one to say "Where I live is the best place" - I am saying that it is what I found to be the best place in my opinion for my specific situation

And also, I meant St. Johns in reference to St. John's county school district - as opposed to the town.
Yeah I understood you. The link is about the county. I didn't even know there was a town called St John's.

I just thought you maybe didn't know St John's COUNTY DOES have the number two school district in the state and that should make it very attractive to the OP, who admittedly doesn't even know if she can get a job here let alone near the county...but still.

And I agree it's an individual case basis because everyone knows their OWN needs ie place of worship. Which her friend apparently doesn't subscribe to in making sweeping generalizations about 850 square miles LOL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-05-2014 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 AM

164 posts, read 227,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yeah I understood you. The link is about the county. I didn't even know there was a town called St John's.

I just thought you maybe didn't know St John's COUNTY DOES have the number two school district in the state and that should make it very attractive to the OP, who admittedly doesn't even know if she can get a job here let alone near the county...but still.

And I agree it's an individual case basis because everyone knows their OWN needs ie place of worship. Which her friend apparently doesn't subscribe to in making sweeping generalizations about 850 square miles LOL.
My bad

Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

St Johns is not a town it is an unincorporated area in St Johns county just as Switzerland, Orangedale and many other not quite towns without mayors in St Johns county are. Done mainly for census purposes.

When did St Johns county drop from the #1 to the #2 school district in the state of Florida?

Old 08-05-2014, 02:26 PM

64 posts, read 85,678 times
Is Duval the only county in which Jacksonville is located? The way it sounds, Jacksonville is also in St. John's...

Old 08-05-2014, 02:45 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedab View Post
Is Duval the only county in which Jacksonville is located? The way it sounds, Jacksonville is also in St. John's...
Jacksonville is ALL of Duval county, except for the beaches area. It is the largest city area wise in the continental United States at about 875 sq. miles of area. It's also the most populated 'city' in Florida with about 850,000 people living in it. But none it is outside of Duval county.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 PM

375 posts, read 444,289 times
St Johns County is included in the Jacksonville metropolitan statistical area. The county seat is St Augustine. The north end being close to the south side of Jacksonville is considered by some to be part of Jacksonville.

Duval County was consolidated with the City of Jacksonville in 1968. The only other cities in the county of Duval are Jacksonville, Atlantic and Neptune Beaches on the east and Baldwin, on the far west.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:41 PM

64 posts, read 85,678 times
Ohhh...okay. I was wondering why St. John's county was popping up so much (in the post and in my research). I thought Jacksonville was so big, parts of it were in different counties (Duval having the biggest part).

Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 AM

164 posts, read 227,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
St Johns is not a town it is an unincorporated area in St Johns county just as Switzerland, Orangedale and many other not quite towns without mayors in St Johns county are. Done mainly for census purposes.

When did St Johns county drop from the #1 to the #2 school district in the state of Florida?
On that link, the schools were rated / broken down by neighborhood. Ponte Vedra Beach was #1 and St. Johns was #2.

Both being in St. John's county... That is where the confusion began.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post

Not sure we're comparing the same things (districts versus counties) but the link is rating school districts. I probably worded that sloppily. Contributing to the confusion haha.

I didn't have young kids when I lived in Jax but I usually refer to that site when people are asking about school districts in Florida. Especially on some relocation threads when people start bashing North Florida (not this thread).

Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedab View Post
Ohhh...okay. I was wondering why St. John's county was popping up so much (in the post and in my research). I thought Jacksonville was so big, parts of it were in different counties (Duval having the biggest part).
probably because of all the building that is going on in the North part of the county just over the line from JAX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville