Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:04 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,074 times

Advertisements

Tacodude has lived here for what ... 6 months?
He thinks he knows the areas of Jacksonville like a native does. (highly unlikely)
But I feel about like he does about Springfield, Historic Springfield, The Ghetto or
whatever you want to call it. On other areas of town our opinions differ a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 05:24 PM

375 posts, read 444,489 times
Anytime I hear someone speaking negatively or quoting some one who has spoken negatively about Springfield, the first thing I ask is if they live there. If the answer is no, I ignore anything they have said....

Old 09-24-2014, 06:44 PM

410 posts, read 362,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Again, you are painfully out of touch.

I have lived in all these areas.

I know the historic, unique neighborhoods of Jax like the back of my hand. This is where I spend my time. I know who lives there, who does business there, what happens there, and what's to come. There's only a handful of these neighborhoods in Jax, so it's not difficult. MANY people move just between these areas, as they provide some level of the same aesthetic, location, and quality-of-life.

Just as there are many people who would live in Fleming Island, but not Orange Park. Hodges Blvd, but not Kernan Blvd. In one area of town, but not another random area of town, some would live in San Marco, but not Avondale. Springfield, but not Murray Hill. Riverside but not Miramar. They are largely (not completely) different shades of the same color, per se.

If you'd like to get in touch with local realtors that specialize in these areas, I can give the name of quite a few. They'll be able to educate you about who's buying where and for how much. Being the expert that you are, I'm sure you know the new construction per sq ft in Riverside is more than in Nocattee, the uniformed's favorite new community, and in Springfield the cost is roughly the same as in Nocattee. But, again, I'm sure you knew that, right? I'm sure you knew that people with large bank accounts move there because of personal preference, who could easily live anywhere else, right?

Or, if you like, I could provide you contact information for 30+ individuals/families off the top of my head that have moved from Bartram Park, San Marco, Southside Blvd, Riverside, Deer Creek (you know, the "nice" neighborhoods) to the Springfield Historic District. *Gasp!* Did your mind just explode? Yes, it's a transitional neighborhood. If anyone is familar with large cities like Atalnta, New York, Chicage, San Fran, then they know transitional neighborhoods (a mix of people and socioeconics) are perfectly normal, and are widely known as gentrifiying areas. They're a good thing, a smart investment, a sign of where things are going. Po-dunk suburban Jacksonville residents who have no world perspective have zero idea how gentrification/reviatlization usually works, thus they hold on to outdated stereotypes.

Heck, as recently as this year some people have said Riverside is too "sketchy", which is laughable. It certainly used to be, but it has almost finished transitioning/gentirifying, as is the norm. Currently Murray Hill and the Springfield Historic District are the transitioning/gentrifying neighborhoods in Jax.

Again, ask a realtor that specializes in the historic areas of Jax. They'll be happy to fill you in.

Here's a thread that reminds me of this conversation from 2011:
//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...e-related.html

When someone provides incorrect information about the neighborhoods I'm very familair with, I always take the opprounity to correct them.

I consider it a public service.

You're welcome.
I never said you didn't know a good deal about these areas....you clearly do. The problem is your perspective on them is out of touch at best.

I'm not sure why you are rambling on about nocatee. I've never mentioned nocatee and couldn't give a crap about it.

And yes I'm familiar with more than one of the cities you mention, having lived in them. They have nothing in common with any of these neighborhoods in jacksonville.

Springfield is not an area of jacksonville most people in San Marco or Avondale would consider living. It is considered the ghetto.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:08 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Springfield is not an area of jacksonville most people in San Marco or Avondale would consider living. It is considered the ghetto.

Not by Southern Living Magazine, This Old House, Florida Trend Magazine, Good Morning America, Chicago Sun Times, etc.

Not by the many city leaders who live there. I could name drop, but I don't think you're in touch enough with the movers & shakers in the city to know who's who.

Not by various millionaires that live there. Ditto my comment above.

Not by people paying $300k+ for new homes there.

Mod editing

The last time the Springfield Historic District was a ghetto, the St. Johns Town Center was a forest and King Street was dead.

Clue: that was a while ago.

And yes I'm familiar with more than one of the cities you mention, having lived in them. They have nothing in common with any of these neighborhoods in jacksonville.

Yes, they do. Gentrifying urban core neighborhoods are common, predictable, normal. It's what happens. And, it's what's happening in Jax.

I'm not sure why you are rambling on about nocatee. I've never mentioned nocatee and couldn't give a crap about it.

Making a point.

I never said you didn't know a good deal about these areas....you clearly do. The problem is your perspective on them is out of touch at best.

Don't take my word for it. Ask the local realtors that specialize in the historic, Downtown-ish neighborhoods of Jax. They'll be happy to fill you in on what's going on in real estate and who's moving where for how much. This one is probably the most well known: www.intownjacksonville.com.

My perspective is extremely updated. Yours is lagging by about 10 years or so. That explains the the void. In 2017, I suppose maybe I'll link this conversation that same way I linked the one above about Riverside from 2011.

Good luck in the advice businesses.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-25-2014 at 06:00 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 10:14 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
^You guys balance each other out and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. FSU and I disagree on a number of things but I have to say that he stated a fact here:

Quote:
Not by Southern Living Magazine, This Old House, Florida Trend Magazine, Good Morning America, Chicago Sun Times, etc.

Not by the many city leaders who live there. I could name drop, but I don't think you're in touch enough with the movers & shakers in the city to know who's who.

Not by various millionaires that live there. Ditto my comment above.

Not by people paying $300k+ for new homes there.
Springfield has indeed received much recognition and accolades, and there are important and/or wealthy people who indeed choose to live there. They absolutely could, and often would, live in the other urban neighborhoods if they weren't in Springfield. Many, in fact, have done just that. What are they thinking?! That is debatable...it probably has a lot to do with the community and the idea of being part of something that is building. But the why isn't the question. The important part is that people are choosing Springfield.

That said...FSU must admit that this revitalization has happened more slowly than expected. And in fact, some investors and speculators have lost money in real estate there. It's NOT all roses. I, personally, am not sold on Springfield being a surefire bet...I don't believe it has reached the gentrification tipping point. However, I do believe in Downtown Jax in the long run, so I do think that by osmosis Springfield is a safe bet in the long run...but isolated I think the trajectory has disappointed some early adopters and no doubt residents in the area wish the past several years had brought more growth than it has.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:46 AM

232 posts, read 574,049 times
Quote:
Being the expert that you are, I'm sure you know the new construction per sq ft in Riverside is more than in Nocattee, the uniformed's favorite new community, and in Springfield the cost is roughly the same as in Nocattee.
Source and/or links on this?

I'm calling complete BS here. I don't live in either neighborhood, but occasionally look around. I have friends in Springfield who have a 3k sqft house that they purchased for under $190k, and friends in Nocatee that have a 3,300 sqft house that was over $370k. Just looking around on Zillow I see the average home in Springfield going for $75-100 sqft. Nocatee looks to be around $110-175 sqft.

I know you like to claim that you only speak facts, so please prove me wrong on this.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
^he said new construction. Everything in Nocatee right now is new, but in Springfield and Riverside very little of it is...hence the higher demand. Also, those two historic districts have the strictest design requirements which adds significant cost to new construction. I can't vouch for FSU's numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's accurate.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

That said...FSU must admit that this revitalization has happened more slowly than expected. And in fact, some investors and speculators have lost money in real estate there. It's NOT all roses. I, personally, am not sold on Springfield being a surefire bet...I don't believe it has reached the gentrification tipping point. However, I do believe in Downtown Jax in the long run, so I do think that by osmosis Springfield is a safe bet in the long run...but isolated I think the trajectory has disappointed some early adopters and no doubt residents in the area wish the past several years had brought more growth than it has.
Yes, many people all over the world lost a lot of money in the housing bubble, including that neighborhood, and thousands of other neighborhoods. The bubble crash certainly put development on pause in most of the US for about 4 years. That pause has ended, at least in that neighborhood, in a noticeable way.

Yes, life is not all roses. Nor is any community I've experienced.

Again - don't take my word for it. Inquire of the local realtors that specialize in the area, inquire of the new home builders in the area, inquire of general contractors who special in historic neighborhoods, inquire of closing attornies. They'd be happy to talk about activity in that neighborhood. This is verifiable information, not opinion.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post
Source and/or links on this?

I'm calling complete BS here. I don't live in either neighborhood, but occasionally look around. I have friends in Springfield who have a 3k sqft house that they purchased for under $190k, and friends in Nocatee that have a 3,300 sqft house that was over $370k. Just looking around on Zillow I see the average home in Springfield going for $75-100 sqft. Nocatee looks to be around $110-175 sqft.

I know you like to claim that you only speak facts, so please prove me wrong on this.
Ok.

I know a few of the popular builders in the Riverside, Springfield, San Marco, Murray Hill neighborhoods of Jax, so I can just ask them.

$138/sq foot, per Low Country Classics, one of the new construction builders in the Springfield Historic District. That's how much their latest basic bungalow was, which closed a couple weeks ago.

The new constriction homes in Riverside just off of King Street go for a good bit more.

There are 6 new homes in construction/pre-construction now in the Springfield Historic District, last time I checked there were 5 in Riverside.

There's probably just under 100 buildable vacant lots in Springfield, far far less in Riverside.

Supply is finite, demand is only growing. Builders are fighting eachother to purchase lots at reasonable prices.

I know what I'm talking about.

Have a great weekend. : )

Old 09-27-2014, 02:42 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Ok.

Supply is finite, demand is only growing. Builders are fighting eachother to purchase lots at reasonable prices.

I know what I'm talking about.
OK this brings up a very important political point.

WHY is the state buying up all this property?

One of the absolute rights we have as citizens is private property ownership with a marketable property title.

SO NOW we're facing Amendment 1, wherein the STATE is going to gobble up MORE property with our tax dollars and the citizens don't get anything to show for it. Not even bonds let alone a marketable title.

THIS is why young people aren't able to get married, form family formations and stabilize society FOR EXAMPLE in Springfield. There is essentially NO AFFORDABLE property. Government "PLANNING" impact fees etc etc etc.

This whole business about minimum wage and other political scams is just that -a SCAM. Until people can buy PROPERTY - affordable - this whole bubble is just going to keep growing over and over and over.

COMMON SENSE- HOW are people going to afford ESCALATING housing prices with stagnant wages duh. Ergo the 2008 problem with BOGUS mortgages on inflated properties.

The 1841 Preemption Act gave property BACK TO THE PEOPLE and now we're giving it all back again.

BTW here in Indian River County even right at the Vero city limits we have THOUSANDS of acres available for affordable housing. JUST TRY getting it through the corrupt politicians. Disney was built faster than you could even get your first permit if AT ALL. Every single build is for huge HOAS that are out of the range of entry level or lower income buyers. And for the people with entry level housing who can afford to move UP - they're out of luck, too.

VOTE NO on Amendment One it's a SCAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville