Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:05 AM

318 posts, read 467,255 times

Advertisements

I have read all of the great comments about Fleming Island. We are considering a move there next year (or Southside, Jacksonville) We're mid-50s - not ready for retirement yet but want to live in a place where there are a mix of age groups. Price range $300 - $400K

I have a few questions - is it all young families?

Has there been any flooding problems with all of the creeks nearby and with the river right there?

Are you pleased with the shopping on Fleming Island and in Orange Park - the Blanding Blvd. which looks pretty close by to Fleming Isand?

Now Southside - looks so close to all the good stuff. Beach, shopping malls, restaurants, downtown Jacksonville, etc. Is it all young families or a mix of age groups?

The area of East Hampton looked nice, and also Deerwood County Club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 09:42 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
IMO, Southside is going to be a lot better. Fleming Island seems far from everything except car dealerships and congestion on Blanding. Essentially 1 way in, 1 way out, and the caliber of people over there seems a little less than those on the other side of the bridge.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:15 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
SaintCabbage you're entitled to your opinion! I have a different one though :-)

We lived in Fleming Island from 2007-2013. Loved it. Shopping for necessities is easy, close, and not congested (necessities being Publix and Winn Dixie, Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Kohls, Petco, Michaels to name, I think, all the big box stores, with a lot of others such as Hallmark, a Dollar Store, CVS, Walgreens, and nonfranchise stores, etc. etc.) Dining choices are satisfying enough. The post office, library, and YMCA are nearby.

We rarely went on Blanding - a lot more congestion than desired.

Personally for us we didn't consider Fleming Island far from everything. For us, a 30-minute drive to St. Johns Town Center or downtown was not "far". However, there really is only one way in and out of Fleming Island (Hwy 17), but honestly it didn't bother us. What bothered us more was the increase in traffic on the other side of the river, on San Jose, Baymeadows, Phillips, etc. We'd deal with that, and then it felt good to go home to Fleming Island to less people and cars. But that was just us, and not everyone would feel the same.

As for "caliber of people", that's not really fair. Orange Park is a bigger city and has a larger mix of demographics than Fleming Island. But there are millionaires who live in OP. And even those who aren't are nice people. Same with residents of Fleming Island. And FI residents are not mostly young families with kids.

All that said about the west side of the river and its benefits, there are great things about the east side, too, in Southside and in Mandarin. There's a mix of demographics there - financially, age-wise, etc.

The best advice that many give is to visit and drive around the different areas to see which feels more like home to you. Although you said you're not ready to retire yet, Turbogyrl, if there will be a job commute, that will help you decided. Traveling the Buckman Bridge can be a pain during commuter hours.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 AM

297 posts, read 573,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
IMO, Southside is going to be a lot better. Fleming Island seems far from everything except car dealerships and congestion on Blanding. Essentially 1 way in, 1 way out, and the caliber of people over there seems a little less than those on the other side of the bridge.

Just my opinion.
WTH does the bolded statement above even mean?

My husband and I moved to Fleming Island when a corporate relo - and for the benefit of those who would judge the caliber of people , it was the kind of relo where the company pays all expenses, including but not limited to house hunting trips, real estate commissions on the sale of our prior home, packing and moving services - brought us to the Jax area 12 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl
I have read all of the great comments about Fleming Island. We are considering a move there next year (or Southside, Jacksonville) We're mid-50s - not ready for retirement yet but want to live in a place where there are a mix of age groups. Price range $300 - $400K

I have a few questions - is it all young families?

Has there been any flooding problems with all of the creeks nearby and with the river right there?

Are you pleased with the shopping on Fleming Island and in Orange Park - the Blanding Blvd. which looks pretty close by to Fleming Isand?
We live in Eagle Harbor, which caters to young families, as does Fleming Island Plantation. I'm not familiar with the other subdivisions in Fleming Island. We've never had flooding near our house, but Black Creek floods.

It was a great place to raise our son, but as empty nesters, we'll be downsizing to a location east of the St. Johns River. Haven't decided exactly where yet, but I want to be closer to St. Johns Town Center, the beach, and the Mayo Clinic.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:50 AM

318 posts, read 467,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post

It was a great place to raise our son, but as empty nesters, we'll be downsizing to a location east of the St. Johns River. Haven't decided exactly where yet, but I want to be closer to St. Johns Town Center, the beach, and the Mayo Clinic.
Very good point about the town center and beach and clinic. Southside looks like a wonderful location east of the river, smack dab in the middle of everything. And Mandarin area looked like a possibility, based upon the maps I've seen - not quite as central, though.

Has anyone been to Hidden Hills (I think that is it) country club area? The houses look a little older there.

My husband first said he wanted to go to St. Augustine but I think that drive into Jacksonville for work everyday would be a difficult one. I think Fleming Island might end up being in that category as well.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:01 PM

297 posts, read 573,441 times
My husband has commuted from Fleming Island to downtown the whole time we've been here, and he hasn't complained much. He said it's not bad at all if you avoid the morning and afternoon commute times. But he had a really long commute in our prior two locations, so he's used to it.

Commuting from St. Augustine to downtown would be much too long. I'd seriously consider St. Augustine if my husband was going to retire soon, but I don't want to wait another 3-5 years to move. I've had enough of cleaning and paying to heat/cool rooms that no one uses.

I'm curious about Hidden Hills as well. I've never been up that way.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:19 PM

46 posts, read 60,945 times
Do you prefer newer construction? Hidden Hills has houses built ranging from the 80's to 2004, but most were built between '85-'95 Some very nice ones in your price range. The commute wouldn't be bad there. East Hampton sub are all late 90's to 2003 and has more homes in the $200k-$280k and a few in your range, and Deerwood late 80's to 2004 or so with many homes in your range.

If you like historic or older , settled communities you might like Riverside/Avondale or San Marco. All would have easier commutes to downtown.

Southside has a mix of older neighborhoods and newer communities, and they are building all the time. Plenty of shopping and restaurants there with Town Center and Tinseltown, several Country Clubs around too. Mandarin is also a mix, but would be a longer commute, and further from shopping/beaches/activities.

What would you say are your highest priorities?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:04 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:

Just my opinion.
Depends where you are on the Southside. Some very sketch parts of Southside. ( ie University Blvd or Emerson St) Blanding Blvd is not in Fleming Island. I would venture to say you have rarely vetured across the river

Old 10-02-2014, 06:22 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:

Just my opinion.
And your opinion is way off! Fleming Island is on US 17 not Blanding and its not near any car dealerships at all, unless you're counting the ones in Green Cove Springs. As per the caliber of people over there being a little less than those on the other side of the bridge, total BS as the people over there are the same as the relocated Yankee's on the other side of the bridge.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,120 times
What is with the "yankee" prejudice name calling? You sound like a redneck. No wonder the world and the United States is going backwards. I used to watch rioting in the 60's on TV as a kid. These protests look hauntingly familiar 50 years later. We have come so far we need to stop "back woods" thinking. We come from all walks of life & experiences. That makes us stronger & richer. People just want the best in life-you only live once. Why so territorial & where in your opinion is the "Yankee" dividing line where it starts & ends? WOW!!!! I did not ask to be born in Minnesota I hate the weather here & plan on moving to Florida in less than 5 years. I hope Florida natives welcome me with open arms. I agreed with what you said, but have to disagree with calling people yankees. That war ended so I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville