Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 AM

22 posts, read 87,501 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm planning a move with my husband to either the Jacksonville Beaches or Saint Augustine/Anastasia Island area in December. Looking for your opinions and expertise on the best cell phone providers that we should look into. We are currently locked into a plan in Toronto for the next year, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to pay the early cancellation fee (~$400) and start fresh, or to hang onto our plan but with additional fees (~$115/month) for US coverage. Ideally we'd like to keep our current phones, but will purchase new if there's an issue. A bit about our needs:

Husband - iphone5s: Will use primarily for local calls in the Jacksonville/Saint Augustine area
Myself - Samsung Galaxy S3: Will use both in the Jacksonville/Saint Augustine area, but also travel frequently around the US for work (currently Texas) and would like the ability to make/receive calls while there as well

If folks can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. I know there are a ton of options, but oftentimes locals just know best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 10:03 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,162,334 times
Not as many options as you think in the deep south. AT&T is going to be your best coverage and dominate the local area. Verizon is available, but signal can be an issue at times. Sprint is for hobos who don't want their phones to actually be able to place calls.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:09 AM

164 posts, read 227,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Not as many options as you think in the deep south. AT&T is going to be your best coverage and dominate the local area. Verizon is available, but signal can be an issue at times. Sprint is for hobos who don't want their phones to actually be able to place calls.
lol

Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,992 times
In St Augustine metro pcs works and is reasonably priced

Old 09-16-2014, 11:35 AM

284 posts, read 379,322 times
You would think that moving out of the country (and being able to prove it) might be enough to get a company to waive early termination fees!

Old 09-16-2014, 12:57 PM

164 posts, read 227,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
You would think that moving out of the country (and being able to prove it) might be enough to get a company to waive early termination fees!
I don't think dieing gets you out of early termination fees. Hmm, seems there may be a punn involved in that last sentence.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM

22 posts, read 87,501 times
Thanks for the tips! So it sounds like my best bet is to try with AT&T and Metro PCS. Do you also know whether there are reasonable options with either carrier that do not involve locking into a contract? I actually just verified with my phone provider that my cancellation fees will be more in the ballpark of $650!!! I'm trying to avoid running into the same problem once in NE Florida...

Old 09-16-2014, 01:09 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,162,334 times
AT&T does not need a contract if you pick a data sharing plan, in fact it's much cheaper than a contract on a monthly basis.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM

139 posts, read 409,911 times
I've been with Solavei for almost two years now. My payment is $45.38 and that's unlimited talk but limits on data, I was on unlimited everything and it was $68 a month. No contract and no problems. They use T-Mobile lines. I believe T-Mobile also has no contract service available. Never had a signal issue either.

Honestly I can't understand the idea of locking into a contract with any service provider, their performance should be their security.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:08 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Go with Straight Talk. You can bring your own phone and you get unlimited talk/text/data* for $50/month and it uses both AT&T and Verizon's network. Phone choices used to be very limited but they're now doing the bring your own phone program.

*they can "throttle back" data usage if you go crazy during your month and slow things down; however, if you're a normal person and don't spend 10 hours a day with your head buried in your phone that shouldn't be an issue for you. If you go direct thru AT&T or Verizon you're definitely limited on the data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville