Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 12:15 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,904 times

Advertisements

Its also a college town. People in the city are more inclined to buy and go to FSU or UF games than the Jaguars games. If those two colleges had crappy football teams year in and year out, it might be a different story. Its also the location of Jacksonville. For example, Nashville is dead center of the state, so the state can come out and support the Titans. Jacksonville is close to Georgia, and many of those who live there are Atlanta fans. Go to Daytona, St. Augustine, or even Gainsville, and they are Tampa Bay or Miami Fans.

In General, I don't think Florida as a state can support 3 football teams. I don't think as a state, they could support 3 NBA teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 03:33 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
Well it's been 20 years now, and overall the interest doesn't seem to be waning!
Interest is growing that's for sure. The first generation of fans who grew up with the team (and therefore didnt have allegiances with another NFL team first) are in early adulthood now. Eventually we'll have families with kids who grow up in diehard Jags households, and you'll have people in there 40s and 50s supporting the franchise whose only team ever was the Jags. The hope is that when that happens, the franchise is in solid footing.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:24 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,529,767 times
Jacksonville should get nothing, and this coming from huge Jacksonville sports fan and Jacksonville supporter, until the people of the Jacksonville METRO show they love their teamS, the city should get nothing else, just go for events, but to join leagues like NBA and MLB I say NO!

Old 10-14-2014, 03:10 PM

410 posts, read 363,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Now this, lol. The Green Bay Packers have been around since before The Great Depression. The Jags have only been here for, what, 20 or so years? Apples to oranges. If you're going to compare NFL franchises, the Carolina Panthers would be a better comparison as they arrived at the same time as the Jaguars are in in a somewhat similar sized market.

Regardless, in terms of ticket sales and annual attendance the Jags are consistently in the low to mid 90s percentage wise of attendance capacity in their stadium, which happens to hold more capacity than teams such as Pittsburgh, Detroit and Indy.

So while the team may suck, I don't see any threat of Jacksonville losing their franchise any time soon. Especially if all of this young talent currently on the roster gels and starts winning games. Like I said, winning fixes everything.........unless you're a minor league baseball team.
well charlotte is a bigger market than Jacksonville.....and carolina is also in the bottom third of the nfl in terms of its overall brand and support.

And no jacksonville is not in the 90s in terms of attendance capacity in their stadium...that may be the number of sold tickets, but a quick look at the crowd at peak capacity time in the game indicates the actual attendance isnt even close to that. And that matters because even if you sell 90% of your tickets technically, if the attendance lags well behind that it means they are 'soft' sells generally and the secondary market is very weak, additional ticket revenue will be hard to come by, pricing per ticket suffers, etc....

whether or not jacksonville stays or goes all depends on two things- the whims of shad kham and how much some other city will do to lure them their. Winning is about #3836423 on what would keep the jags in Jacksonville.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 PM

49 posts, read 174,439 times
The best chance for another pro team is a soccer team. That is why NASL awarded Jacksonville a new team. If they do well I could see MLS maybe wanting to bring a team. Jacksonville is a big soccer town. Highest attendance numbers for any
USMNT soccer game in the Southeast.

The Jaguars are not going anywhere. Breaking the lease would cost about 125 Million at least. Shad Khan is committed to keeping them in town. Fan base has 50,000 season ticket holders with only winning about 6 games in the last three years. That is a strong base of fan support for a bad team. Once they get back to being a .500 team they will have 60K season ticket holders. The new stadium experience is good and they are working hard to make it the best possible. Winning cures everything, A winning team and they will sell out every game. Football is king of all sports.

In the next year you will see Raiders, Chargers, or Rams moving to L.A. Maybe two of those teams. The Jaguars will not be one of them. They also will not move to London. NFL will make every team play one game there is more likely. They like the market, but the logistics of having a team full time would be a nightmare. Playing one game on west coast and flying back to London and having time to practice before and after. The Jags are making a bunch of money playing there on this 4 year contract, but they will have to pay them more to renew after that.

Just my two cents...

Old 10-15-2014, 06:16 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,379,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
well charlotte is a bigger market than Jacksonville.....and carolina is also in the bottom third of the nfl in terms of its overall brand and support.

And no jacksonville is not in the 90s in terms of attendance capacity in their stadium...that may be the number of sold tickets, but a quick look at the crowd at peak capacity time in the game indicates the actual attendance isnt even close to that. And that matters because even if you sell 90% of your tickets technically, if the attendance lags well behind that it means they are 'soft' sells generally and the secondary market is very weak, additional ticket revenue will be hard to come by, pricing per ticket suffers, etc....

whether or not jacksonville stays or goes all depends on two things- the whims of shad kham and how much some other city will do to lure them their. Winning is about #3836423 on what would keep the jags in Jacksonville.
Was trying to make the point not to compare smaller market teams such as Green Bay who have a loyal following and have been around for almost 100 years, used Carolina as a good example since they started in the NFL at the same time as the Jags.

Low 90s is ticket sold, yes. Attendance is less than that but that's the number (seats sold) that the Shad and the NFL would focus on to pick up and move a franchise. BTW - have you seen a Bucs or Dolphins game lately? Plenty of empty seats in those stadiums as well with much larger markets, but I'm not hearing any threats of them moving either.

I don't think you're understanding my point - winning increases attendance, which increases revenue, which increases brand loyalty, merchandise sales, etc. etc. etc. So winning is not #3836423 on the list, it's #1 on the list, why do you think teams put so much effort into putting a winning team on the field???

Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 AM

Another blackeye

With ticket sales down, city barely breaks even on NBA game in Jacksonville - Jacksonville Business Journal

I told you so.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 AM

Please. A preseason NBA game between the Wizards and (gag) Pelicans and that's the litmus test we're using to determine if Jax could support another franchise? You think if this was a Cleveland/Lakers game this would even be a story?

Put this same preseason game in any non-NBA city and you'd see similar results. This has nothing to do with Jacksonville and everything to do with the product on the court.

I was excited when I heard an NBA game was coming and had it been just about any other teams I'd have gone. I couldn't even name two players on the Pelicans right now and I try and follow the NBA as much as I can.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:20 AM

Again the people of Jacksonville and surrounding counties SHOULD support what they ALREADY have. Anything more will stretch the resources already in place. Jags definitely need to get back to a position of winning or that LA talk crap is going to start again. People need to visit Bragan Field more often too, especially when they are WINNING.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:49 AM

I agree. Folks also need to understand support can come in other ways other than forking out $500 for 2 tickets and some hot dogs at the game. Buying Jags clothing/merchandise does it too, as does supporting the Jags' sponsors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville