Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 9,605 times

Advertisements

Would anyone care to share up-to-date opinions on the following neighborhoods?

Odoms Mill
Sawmill Lakes
Marsh Landing

Budget is 500-600k, a little more if something were absolutely perfect and needed no updating. prefer 4 BR, 3.5 BA.
We have 2 not yet school-aged children. We would like proximity to good public schools (under 4 miles).

I am not the biggest fan of the home styles in Odoms Mill, but I do like the proximity to the elementary school. Can anyone speak to construction quality in this neighborhood?

Sawmill Lakes seems to have a nice park for children but not many homes for sale that fit our wants/needs.

I don't know much about Marsh Landing at all and was curious how the amenities work. Is there anything you have access to without joining the country club? Are you required to join the country club by buying there? What do your HOA fees get you in that neighborhood?

Does anyone have suggestions of any other areas we should consider? We are looking in this area for proximity to 2 work sites and these areas are more geographically centered to where we will work without being too far from the beach (like Nocatee). We were not interested in Plantation due to the required membership in the CC. It seemed too expensive when neither of us play golf. It doesn't have to be a traditional "neighborhood"--we would actually like a bit larger yard than seems to be offered in most neighborhoods, but that's not a requirement.

Also, does anyone know the current membership costs to any of the beach clubs?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:16 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,795,328 times
Sawmill Lakes is nice and probably a good option in your price range. Has a nice park and pool. Location is great for schools. Odoms Mill will be mostly under your price range (maybe 300-500K).

Marsh Landing is mostly more expensive but you may find something around $600K. It's very big and the northern part is far from schools (esp high school). There are a couple of nice (small) parks for all residents. Golf/tennis/pool are all part of country club.

There are lots of other neightborhoods eg along Palm valley road. There is a new neighborhood by Richmond homes being built on Roscoe (500s).

Old 01-21-2015, 07:16 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,795,365 times
Palm Valley is nice.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:00 PM

581 posts, read 922,682 times
Palm Valley is in PVB?

Old 01-21-2015, 02:26 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,342,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
Palm Valley is in PVB?
The area from Roscoe Rd east of the ICW to A-1-A is commonly referred to as Palm Valley by locals.
It is even marked as Palm Valley on MapQuest. And Palm Valley RD runs right through the middle of it.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:13 AM

581 posts, read 922,682 times
I feel foolish...one of our favorite restaurants is Palm Valley Fish Camp!

Old 01-22-2015, 11:50 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,342,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I feel foolish...one of our favorite restaurants is Palm Valley Fish Camp!
Don't feel foolish, the old road that ran out through where Nocatee is now all the way to US-1 was also called Palm Valley Rd. Some parts of the old Palm Valley Rd still exist on the west side of the ICW.

IMO Palm Valley Fish Camp is an awesome place to eat, in fact my wife and I ate there last night.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,680 times
Can anyone clarify if you required to join the country club by buying there? What do your HOA fees get you in that neighborhood? thanks!

Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,680 times
I did some research and found out that Odom's Mill has no country club kinda facility so there is no charge other than HOA fee (something around $950/year).

Old 02-15-2015, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 9,605 times
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: