Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 05:56 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times

Advertisements

My wife and I may be relocating to the Jacksonville area, specifically south east Jacksonville near 202 and 295. We have an 8 year old german shepherd and will need a rental house that allows her to come along. Do you know of any property management companies that allow shepherds? Do you know of any property management companies that disallow the breed with no exceptions?

We would prefer a house, around $1500 a month is comfortable, but I could go higher if the property is worth it. I've already experienced a little sticker shock looking at rental rates in the area, but i'm hoping the lack of state income tax will offset the cost.

My dog is not destructive and well behaved. We've had her in 2 different apartments, 2 fenced houses and this un-fenced home with no problems. I telecommute, which means she is with me nearly 24 hours a day. When we were moving to Raleigh we had no problem finding homes that would allow German Shepherds, but when we moved to the coast it was a real struggle. How have other Shepherd owners fared while searching for a home in the area?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:18 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
I love your German Shepherd so much! We have two. They are the greatest dogs ever! They just are. Rent from a private owner. When we moved here we found our house on Craigslist. We were upfront about our Shepherds. The owner wanted a reasonable pet deposit and that's it.

We ended up loving the house and actually purchased it several years ago.

Don't get discouraged. You'll find something.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:27 PM

237 posts, read 496,581 times
I have a lot of prospective tenants call me who have a German Shepherds or other dangerous dog breed. And before I get posters saying they are not dangerous dogs, it is not about my opinion. As a Landlord I can tell you my insurance has German Shepherds on their dangerous dog breed list and not only can they drop your policy but will not provide protection if an injury occurs. And in this crazy country people sue the landlord for the action of a tenant's dog and win.

For that reason most knowledgeably property mangers just will not take the risk. As the other poster suggestion you can contact individual landlords as some of them might not even know the insurance rules. The other option I have given people is if they get a renter's insurance policy or pet insurance from a reputable insurance company insuring for any injuries caused by their pet.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:40 PM

222 posts, read 425,514 times
I echo what the other posters have said. While your Shepherd may be the sweetest, most docile dog ever the breed is on the restricted list so it will be very difficult for you to find a property management company who will accept a rental. Your best bet is to find a private rental.

I grew up with shepherds and have a soft spot for them. Yours is beautiful! I hope you find her (and yourselves) a great home to rent.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:15 AM

148 posts, read 425,262 times
Default Pet Friendly Landlord in Jax/St. Augustine and Nationwide.

Invitation Homes Houses for Rent | Single Family Home Rentals from Invitation Homes will gladly accept your German Shepard's and any other pooches. Jacksonville and St. Johns County are very dog friendly and Invitation Homes has some great homes for rent. Invitation Homes owns hundreds of homes in Jax and thousands nationwide. I have never had a better landlord. The only issues I have ever had with my dogs is with homeowner and rental insurance companies, they tend to ask quite a few questions about your dogs prior to issuing a policy. Good Luck.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,967 times
I see this is from 2015 but I'd like anyone who has stumbled upon this thread(like I) to know that Arium Luxury Apartments allow German Shepherds!! German Shepherds are the only exception to their aggressive breed list most likely because a lot of cops live at this complex! But I have seen pitbulls and other restrictive breeds here while walking my GSD No one seems to mind each other its great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville