Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:24 PM

6 posts, read 7,055 times

Advertisements

I will be starting a job in Riverside soon, but am interested in living at the beach. I have an older truck and catch the bus to work currently (I live in Charlotte). I never really used public transport until I lived in NC and its pretty good here (light rail, bus, trolley, etc). I'm from JAX, so I know it's not the best there, but was wondering if there was anything better than commuting there and back the whole way. Any good park n rides from the beach? I like the Riverside/Avondale area, but im interested in renting at the beach as a transition from Charlotte (love CLT, but missed the beach). I looked on the JTA website, but it wasn't user friendly. Maybe I didn't spend enough time toying with it. Im thinking it might be best to stay near work, but wasn't sure if there was a somewhat decent public transport option from the beaches to downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
no, theres not really not much more to say than that lol.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:09 PM

375 posts, read 444,574 times
As long as you are commuting at normal times, ( meaning not traveling back after 10 pm or middle of the night) you can use the bus. It will probably require a bus change downtown. I know buses being on time used to be a problem but not sure if it still is since they have revamped the system. What times will you be traveling and which beach and what part of Riverside will you be?

Old 06-13-2015, 09:21 PM

http://tripplan.jtafla.com/HastinfoW...NiZTJlODJlZGMz

Old 06-14-2015, 12:36 AM

I actually looked it up when you first asked but didnt feel like sharing the results. Now that JaxNative has posted the tripplanner I'll mention that it was over an hour and a half to go from Downtown Jax Beach to Riverside with two transfers. Also expensive too...I think it was $5-6 ow. Would be a little shorter from Neptune Beach. I am assuming that over an hour each way is not worth it, but I guess you could feel differently.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:26 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprisby View Post
I will be starting a job in Riverside soon, but am interested in living at the beach. I have an older truck and catch the bus to work currently (I live in Charlotte). I never really used public transport until I lived in NC and its pretty good here (light rail, bus, trolley, etc). I'm from JAX, so I know it's not the best there, but was wondering if there was anything better than commuting there and back the whole way. Any good park n rides from the beach? I like the Riverside/Avondale area, but im interested in renting at the beach as a transition from Charlotte (love CLT, but missed the beach). I looked on the JTA website, but it wasn't user friendly. Maybe I didn't spend enough time toying with it. Im thinking it might be best to stay near work, but wasn't sure if there was a somewhat decent public transport option from the beaches to downtown area.
The Moon has better public transit than Jacksonville.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 7,055 times
Riverside Ave, next to the Yates YMCA. I have given it some thought and think Riverside/Avondale/San Marco will be the spots we need to monitor for a place to rent. If my office was downtown then I think I could do the bus thing, but having to transfer would get old.... quickly.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:18 AM

67 posts, read 108,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
The Moon has better public transit than Jacksonville.
really now?

and how's the public transportation in the Miami area?

Old 06-15-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder103 View Post
really now?

and how's the public transportation in the Miami area?
Not bad. Top-tier for a southern city.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprisby View Post
Riverside Ave, next to the Yates YMCA. I have given it some thought and think Riverside/Avondale/San Marco will be the spots we need to monitor for a place to rent. If my office was downtown then I think I could do the bus thing, but having to transfer would get old.... quickly.
One last option if you want to do the beach thing. If you are a bike rider you could take your bike and ride from the downtown stop to Riverside. Not a far ride if you are into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville