Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:44 AM

93 posts, read 287,508 times

Advertisements

Is anyone out there currently living in PVB and working in Orange Park?

We are moving to Jax and this will be our last Naval tour. We would like to buy a winter home at the beach in Sawgrass/PVB area to keep. Times ripe to buy in my mind.

If I could get an idea how the commute is on these routes it would greatly help me decide weather to buy in Ortega & sell in 3 years or bite the commute bullit and drive the 36 miles for 3 years.

JTB>9A>295(Buckman)>17(Roosevelt)>NAS
or
Palm Valley Road>Phillips HWY(1)>295(Buckman)>17(Roosevelt)>NAS

reversed in the afternoon/evenings.

We currently live in Philly and it takes an hour to go 15 miles any time of day anywhere. Jax is going to be wonderful.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by surferr; 01-26-2008 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:54 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,741 times
Ponte Vedra Beach wouldn't be my first choice - the commute will be terrible, no matter which route you take. Have you been in the Ortega/ Venetia area? It's absolutely beautiful there. You may fall in love with it and decide to stay.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:32 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
surferr
I just sent you a DM about the best way.
When I lived in PV it would take me about 35 mins from there to rt 17

the best way IMO is
JTB to 9As this turns into 295n which will take you over the bridge as you stated above

This will aavoid the worst part of JTB which IMO is 95 to kernan

karla

Old 02-02-2008, 07:19 AM

Default Hi Karla

Hello Karla
thanks again for the PM. I read there is construction work going on the JTB?
Do you know when this will be finished?
I also saw there are some web cams going up on the Buckman so I can look at the morning and evening mess I may be dealing with.

9A is a 2 lane with a grass median?

Looking forward to Jax. Have a great weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
surferr
I just sent you a DM about the best way.
When I lived in PV it would take me about 35 mins from there to rt 17

the best way IMO is
JTB to 9As this turns into 295n which will take you over the bridge as you stated above

This will aavoid the worst part of JTB which IMO is 95 to kernan

karla

Old 02-02-2008, 12:42 PM

surferr
here is a link that will show you the road map of the area
Jacksonville, FL 32258, United States of America - Google Maps

9A once you get past baymeadows is 65 mph (it is 55 between JTB & Baymeadows)
there is construction at 9A & JTB they are putting in flyovers so once they are done (not sure) it will be even faster

You also have a great weekend it is so beautiful outside I just spent 3 hours working in the gardens

Old 02-02-2008, 02:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferr View Post
Hello Karla
thanks again for the PM. I read there is construction work going on the JTB?
Do you know when this will be finished?
I also saw there are some web cams going up on the Buckman so I can look at the morning and evening mess I may be dealing with.

9A is a 2 lane with a grass median?

Looking forward to Jax. Have a great weekend
9A/I295 is very wide at parts - it's a new highway that encircles the city (the "center" is Downtown). It is a great road to commute on, at least on the 9A side (that's the side I predominantly use) - traffic usually flows very smoothly and quickly on 9A.

JTB is older but has been/is being expanded and it is already much better.

As Karla mentioned, the overpass exchange at JTB & St. John's Bluff Road is in its' final stages and will be enormous when completed - nearly as big as the 9A-I95 overpass exchange - both are really spectacular works.

The commute from PVB to OP is much better now than it would have been just 2 or 3 years ago - it is like night and day compared to what it was.

It's still a long commute - you're looking at going from the Ocean clear across Jacksonville and into the next county (Clay) - but considering your particulars, I think you'll be fine.

I lived in Intracoastal West and commuted over to OP for a while 3 days a week - getting to OP wasn't bad, it was getting out that took a long time. The worst part of the commute then was the I295 part and that hasn't changed.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks Riveree and Karla. You 2 have been a big help.

35 miles is a long way to commute but 3 day weekends in PVB just seem more enjoyable than 3 day weekends at Ortega or Fleming Island. Sorry if I insulted anyone. The Prius is a good cruiser and gas sipper too. As long as the traffic moves along, 35 miles can go by in less than an hour.

Hope to come down for a week in March and drive around then another week in August to look a bit more seriously at houses. I will give a call to your Realtor when time gets close. Thanks for the direction K.

Either you 2 ever been on either of the Navy Bases? Mayport or OP? Security might still be tight as they are up here.
Mayport must have nice beach access for Military.
I see the OP Base has 27 holes of golf and 2 large pools.
Jax has a decent military sized footprint? How is the towns attitude toward military personnel?

Last edited by surferr; 02-04-2008 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferr View Post
How is the towns attitude toward military personnel?
Very good, I would say. Jax is pretty laid back and accepting of everyone for the most part, and military is no exception. Plenty of retired military decide to make Jax their home, so you'll find military and retired military spread throughout the city.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:28 AM

surferr
let us know the dates and maybe we can get the PPP together for a pizza

Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Default Pizza

I've been reading the posts and YOU seem to be the Pizza aficionado.
I will definitely take you up on a slice once we get down there.

We are heading to visit my rents in Naples for a couple of weeks in March. Not sure if i can talk the wife into an overnight scout in Jax but hopefully she will be up for it.
Order us up some sunshine

Surferr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville