Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:44 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times

Advertisements

mawipafl gave some spot on info. I'll add that the BOA tower is the tallest building in the state outside of Miami, and when you visit you can see 5 bldgs that were at one time the tallest building in FL. Jax has had 6 over the years, but one of them was demolished. Also, the skyway is free to ride and not a bad way to get a quick overview of the architectural landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 12:15 PM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
mawipafl gave some spot on info. I'll add that the BOA tower is the tallest building in the state outside of Miami, and when you visit you can see 5 bldgs that were at one time the tallest building in FL. Jax has had 6 over the years, but one of them was demolished. Also, the skyway is free to ride and not a bad way to get a quick overview of the architectural landscape.

Don't forget this little hidden gem....................pretty good food spot for lunch!

https://www.zomato.com/jacksonville-...r-jacksonville

Old 11-10-2015, 02:58 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
MawipaFL: Wow, that is a fantastic tour to see all downtown has to offer! I can't thank you enough for all this info. I will put that into gmap and bring a printed copy along! Should be fun.

Robyn55: Thanks for those additional tips! Those sound like good spots as well.

I think it is somewhat of a SunBelt thing, as far as not being as crowded, because generally Florida cities weren't quite formed the way older, denser cities were, where cities were the focal point of EVERYTHING. New Orleans is an exception, but even that isn't entirely, because far and away it's main draw is the FQ.

Those are certainly some interesting thoughts/theories about the way things developed, thanks for sharing. I do think though that in upcoming decades, the successful New Urbanist models could come through and really shape up cores everywhere.. That's where tearing down older buildings becomes a slippery slope, because at least so far, there has not been evidence that we'll be able to start recreating the Pre WWII building aesthetic, though that certainly isn't a requirement, it's nice to have.

I do think it will be interesting if the 60's to 00's architecture ever starts to dwindle, and how much of that will be saved in the effort of "historic preservation". Probably easier to replicate, but still, interesting.
I think you're right that it's predominantly a "sunbelt" thing - where most cities came into their own post WWII and the ascendancy of the automobile. E.g., we stayed in downtown Houston (a much larger city) for a few days last year. And there wasn't much "there" "there" downtown either. Pretty much all there was to do at night was go to a baseball game - so we went to a baseball game . We were in Los Angeles last month - and - although downtown there is getting "revitalized" - it is more of a "fits and starts" thing - as opposed to a going great guns all the time everything will be finished tomorrow thing. So JAX certainly isn't alone.

When it comes to New Orleans - I think it is a different animal because it is such a tourist oriented downtown. From the FQ to the Convention Center area to other areas. You get things in areas with tons of tourists (which we don't have) you won't find elsewhere. Everything from I-Drive in Orlando to the Las Vegas strip.

One thing that helps IMO is putting up housing that's suitable for younger people. One of my nieces lives in a large new apartment building in downtown Los Angeles - and she is far from alone. Before she moved to Los Angeles - she lived in Brooklyn (NY) in a similar building. Along with many other people her age. People won't necessarily come if you build it. But they certainly won't come if nothing is built.

BTW - I find a "renovated" building like 11 East Forsyth (in downtown JAX) a poor substitute for a zippy new building (especially one that is built with the thought of 2 or 3 younger people sharing a place - not uncommon today - as opposed to living alone). And I think at least some younger people feel the same way (they want/demand things like great wifi everywhere):

4. I paid for my studio what two friends in the Berkman were paying, per bedroom, for a 2/2. The Berkman is a condominium but it's about 50/50 owner/rental at this point. Mind you, we're paying the same thing per bedroom, but the Berkman has a 24-hour concierge, a sauna, a fitness center, a library, a juice bar, a pool, a penthouse community room, river access, boat slips, etc. 11 E has a fitness center and a community room. Not even close to comparable amenities.

11 East Forsyth Apartments - Apartments - LaVilla - Jacksonville, FL - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

In any event - I think the issue of "preserve" or "replace" has to be approached on a cost-benefit case-by-case basis. Keeping in mind that JAX is not a very high priced spread kind of place with tons of money floating around.

BTW - you're right that the Stadium and some other sports/entertainment venues are on one end of downtown - and things like big office buildings - the FTU Center and especially the Convention Center are at the other. With either not much of anything (including a lot of surface parking lots) or seemingly incongruous things in the middle. The Maxwell House factory smells good. But it is an industrial use. Ditto with the new Intuition Ale Works brewery. With all the planning that has gone on - it doesn't seem like anyone has come up with a coherent master plan. It's more of a hodgepodge. Robyn

Old 11-10-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Don't forget this little hidden gem....................pretty good food spot for lunch!

https://www.zomato.com/jacksonville-...r-jacksonville
This closed back in the spring...when the building was sold the new owners shut it down.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
ProjectMaximus, I checked the site, yeah there definitely is a lot of information available! A model for other cities to follow. I will also say that sounds like a good grouping of projects. The Union Station, is that an impressive landmark? Cool to hear that you are so in tune with the happenings of the city.

Cool to hear about the Skyway! I will have to ride it then.

Jax seems to be, perhaps more than Tampa, the "oldest city" in FL in terms of being established. And that lunch spot sounds awesome!

Yeah LA has made strides, but for how large and powerful it is, it isn't a downtown to match even some smaller ones. But of course that depends what your standards are. DTLA is home to places like Santee Alley and Olvera Street that wouldn't exist if it were more gentrified.

This really is interesting to see how much insight you all have into Jax and developments compared to what others have to share in some cities. Very detailed thoughts. I think in some ways young people want it all, since many of them seem to also be the most ardent supporters of historic preservation which isn't a bad thing either.

Maxwell House... Is that like Maxwell House coffee? Sounds like some interesting industrial sections.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
This closed back in the spring...when the building was sold the new owners shut it down.
Wow, believe it or not the lunches were pretty good and the views were beautiful.

Sad to see it close!

Old 11-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
ProjectMaximus, I checked the site, yeah there definitely is a lot of information available! A model for other cities to follow. I will also say that sounds like a good grouping of projects. The Union Station, is that an impressive landmark? Cool to hear that you are so in tune with the happenings of the city.

Jax seems to be, perhaps more than Tampa, the "oldest city" in FL in terms of being established. And that lunch spot sounds awesome!

Yeah LA has made strides, but for how large and powerful it is, it isn't a downtown to match even some smaller ones. But of course that depends what your standards are. DTLA is home to places like Santee Alley and Olvera Street that wouldn't exist if it were more gentrified.

This really is interesting to see how much insight you all have into Jax and developments compared to what others have to share in some cities. Very detailed thoughts. I think in some ways young people want it all, since many of them seem to also be the most ardent supporters of historic preservation which isn't a bad thing either.

Maxwell House... Is that like Maxwell House coffee? Sounds like some interesting industrial sections.
I think we have been promised the world over the last thirty years as far as downtown development. There has been so many highs and lows and disappointments. Everyone is hanging on the hopes of Laura Street now, as contamination of the Shipyards property has knocked the wind out of a lot of sails.

In 1989 when my wife worked downtown for Barnett Bank it was pretty vibrant and hopes were high....the Landing was a bright shiny penny at that time.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:

Yup - it's Maxwell House Coffee. "Wake up and smell the coffee". And the factory does smell great a lot of the time when we've been downtown. But big deal industrial uses like Maxwell House don't mix well with residential and similar uses IMO.

Question. As a younger person - where would be your dream place to live? And why? Note that CD is in large part a "where do I want do live" chatboard. And I am curious about your opinion - from the POV as a younger person. Robyn

Old 11-10-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah...the coffee. If you come back next fall there might be a distillery and a microbrewery in the building next door.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:50 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Yup - it's Maxwell House Coffee. "Wake up and smell the coffee". And the factory does smell great a lot of the time when we've been downtown. But big deal industrial uses like Maxwell House don't mix well with residential and similar uses IMO.

Question. As a younger person - where would be your dream place to live? And why? Note that CD is in large part a "where do I want do live" chatboard. And I am curious about your opinion - from the POV as a younger person. Robyn
Good question. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's just one answer to that for me. Being in student affairs, it has always been a dream of mine to live/work internationally, perhaps for a few years, perhaps in multiple places, just to get the cultural experience. Perhaps Beijing/Tokyo, Mexico City/Buenos Aires, Auckland/Sydney and Vienna/Helsinki all rank highly on my list, all for different reasons of course. Who knows whether that will ever be realized, but it's what I'd enjoy.

I have found more and more recently that there are things about every city or place that could make me happy, even if said place wasn't my ideal. I'd say that's accurate for FL, which while it has many nice qualities, wouldn't necessarily be my dream place. Though right now, I'd say my "dream location", is anywhere I could find a job.

Perhaps it's because of bias, but one of the highest places on my list is the upper eastern midwest, my home region (Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Pitsburgh, others). I like that there are definitely some New England-y/East Coast aspects to living and qualities, however, the cost and pace of living are distinctly midwestern, and there's just a unique identity and sense of place within these cities. It sounds silly to say it reflects in the sports teams, but I would say it reflects in other parts of life as well. And I do enjoy seasons. I like to keep things in perspective and be positive always, but I will say that FL isn't my "most ideal" climate.

I also have an affinity for the PNW, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, SF area if it weren't unaffordable (same reason I wouldn't actually go for N.E.), because of the fact that it seems to offer the type of terrain that I crave and is gorgeous, but is also very, very green with trees around everywhere, and a climate that I would say is my most favorite (my ideal temps range is anywhere between 45-75). I'd like to try anywhere out on the west coast at some point in time for that matter though, just to get a feel for something different.

However, while I enjoy that type of temperature, my fiance doesn't, and would be much less likely to desire a move than I would (she enjoys Florida and finds it to be her ideal, and wouldn't want to not be around her family, which certainly makes sense). I have certainly thought about the compromise eventually of the Atlanta area, or somewhere else further up in the Smokies, because those places have some of the northern characteristics (terrain, seasons) that I love. However, I also understand that I may be in Florida long term, and ultimately I am okay with that if that makes her happy (and we are able to travel frequently). Out of the Florida cities, I have certainly given thought to Jacksonville, because it is a little further north, which means easier access to out of state attractions, more terrain than other areas within the state, quieter pace of living than other cities in the state, more history in the area than many areas have, fall starts earlier/summer comes later than even in Orlando.. Those things are all attractive to me.

So, probably more detailed than you wanted, but, there you go. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville