Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:16 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
My daughter's portable classroom/trailer on wheels is a "villa"...
Seriously <LOL>? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Clear water, really? I agree about amoebas...

How will they prevent gators and snakes from enjoying it too?

And the guy in drawing is carrying a surfboard -- will it have a wave machine?
The gators will just wind up wherever they happen to wind up. They're not fussy about the waters they inhabit. Quite a few years ago - we had a new next door neighbor who had just moved from a high rise condo in Chicago. And she called us hysterical one morning - that there was a big gator in her pool (I took a look - it *was* a big one). And she wanted us to help her to remove it. Right .

I have honestly seen very few snakes here in 20+ years (OTOH - many snake skins). Perhaps one innocuous one every 4-5 years sunning itself on our driveway on a cold day. I've only seen a water moccasin once - wrapped up in a camellia bush after some torrential rains. Then again - I don't swim in retention ponds . Robyn

Old 01-27-2016, 05:49 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
And now more....townhomes this time: Townhome development planned near S.R. 207 | StAugustine.com

Old 01-30-2016, 12:13 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times
Default moccasins vs non venomous watersnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Fast forward 20 years. The developer may initially have nice water filtering to keep the lakes nice, but if the company goes bust or the the equipment breaks down, then you have retention pond filled with moccasins.
The majority of snakes you see could be harmless and beneficial watersnakes- they are being killed mistaken for moccasins.
we all should learn how fast identify them: blocky head on narrow neck with vertical pupils- moccasins,
otherwise - watercnakes.
Learn to ID here
Venomous Water Moccasin or Harmless Watersnake?

Old 01-30-2016, 03:06 PM

There are all kinds of critters in and around retention ponds. Fish - birds - gators - turtles - raccoons - armadillos - frogs - etc. Have never seen a snake - but it would surprise me if there aren't some of those there too. I'm not sure how you'd keep critters out of retention ponds - no matter what kind of equipment you use. Don't think aerators (which many retention ponds have) - make a dime's worth of difference. To my mind - the biggest pests around retention ponds these days are the Canadian geese. They make a big mess. Robyn

Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 AM

294 posts, read 340,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
To my mind - the biggest pests around retention ponds these days are the Canadian geese. They make a big mess. Robyn
Wow isn't this the truth! We live two blocks from Jarboe Park in Neptune Beach. It's a great park but now that our daughter is very mobile I have to watch where she steps. There are 'messes' all over- Jarbo has a very geese welcoming environment which causes natural obstacle courses when navigating to the different playground areas.

Recently we have been riding our bikes to Bull Park in AB. Shaded soft surface playground and zero 'messes'!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville