Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 12:14 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,791,583 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Zone AE requires Flood Insurance?

St. Johns County Flood Zone Map:

http://www.co.st-johns.fl.us/FloodFa..._Zones_web.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 12:32 PM

237 posts, read 497,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post

I think most mortgages will require flood insurance in high flood area, just check with who ever will be writing your mortgage.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:42 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Quote:

check with the county office they should know. I am not in a flood zone but have it anyway for the heavy rains we get.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:

Yes, unless there is something specific to the property that got it exempted such as Letter of Map Amendment or similar.

Even if flood insurance is required it might be a few hundred dollars a year. It's pretty common in much of FL and not necessaril something to run away from.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:59 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,153,663 times
We're in AE and had to get FEMA flood ($513/yr).

Old 07-17-2016, 01:32 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,791,583 times
Thanks for quick responses!

And the flood maps seem updated from when I looked a couple years ago.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:49 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
We're in AE and had to get FEMA flood ($513/yr).
We're in a similar flood zone. And - even though we're not required to buy flood insurance (we don't have a mortgage) - we do. Cost us $587 for the max this year. $250k for the house and $100k for contents. We self-insure for the rest (it would cost us more than $250k to rebuild if we had bad flooding). I don't recommend buying anything less than max flood insurance because flood insurance works in very disadvantageous ways if you're "underinsured" (and there aren't many houses in PVB that would cost less than $250k to rebuild and have less than $100k in contents).

Note that the little I've seen in this area in the way of bad flooding hasn't really come from "floods" per se. It's been caused by backups of water through inferior drainage systems (or the lack of any drainage systems at all) - after heavy rains. I can't recall exactly off the top of my head - but I seem to recall that some things like damage caused by sewer system back-ups are covered by your homeowners' policy - not your federal flood policy. And that it's an optional coverage. Best to go through your homeowners' policy with your insurance agent - find out what all the optional coverages are - and to buy those that are appropriate. Robyn

Old 07-17-2016, 03:12 PM

237 posts, read 497,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
(and there aren't many houses in PVB that would cost less than $250k to rebuild and have less than $100k in contents).Robyn
Man, I must live a simple life. Even if you counted the kitchen cabinets, I can not imagine my personal property contents would be anywhere near the $100K mark. I feel I need to go out and buy more expensive belongings. And lets say you have expensive jewelry, I know regular insurance puts a cap on that. Does flood cover unlimited jewelry damage? I must be a pauper, I just can not even imagine my used furniture, TV, computers and etc. even being worth $25,000. Maybe if I get bored I should make a list of all my personal property and figure out a value, better to be done before you need the list for insurance purposes.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:00 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbil View Post
Man, I must live a simple life. Even if you counted the kitchen cabinets, I can not imagine my personal property contents would be anywhere near the $100K mark. I feel I need to go out and buy more expensive belongings. And lets say you have expensive jewelry, I know regular insurance puts a cap on that. Does flood cover unlimited jewelry damage? I must be a pauper, I just can not even imagine my used furniture, TV, computers and etc. even being worth $25,000. Maybe if I get bored I should make a list of all my personal property and figure out a value, better to be done before you need the list for insurance purposes.
When it comes to contents - we're talking about replacement value. And yes - you perhaps lead a simpler life than we do. My kitchen cabinets cost $30k 20 years ago - and I put in $25k worth of floor coverings a few years ago. I put in a new $2500 double oven a few years ago too (have other appliances as well). We probably have at least $20k worth of electronics in the house - if not more. I probably have several thousand dollars worth of shoes (not to mention other clothing and things like handbags) - and perhaps $10k+ in china/flatware/pots/pans/small home appliances. And that's not taking furniture into account (it is easily over $100k in furniture). Then there's golf equipment - and all manner of other stuff (everything from lawn equipment/gardening tools to who knows what). It kind of adds up - even at the very basic levels. Even if you live modestly - you might be surprised if you go around - and look and see what you have - how much it might cost you to replace everything today. $100k doesn't go very far at all.

FWIW - although it does make sense to make a list - I also suggest taking pictures. Like they say - a picture is worth 1000 words . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville