Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:06 AM

260 posts, read 388,140 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions? Not a fan of Trader Joes. How is Winn Dixie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 10:40 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,152,796 times
Winn Dixie on Solana is ok. Publix in Sawgrass Village seems to have better variety. If I had to breakdown our grocery shopping by store in the past year, it would look something like this:

40% Costco (St Johns Town Center)
50% Publix (Sawgrass Village/Palm Valley Circle)
5% Winn Dixie
5% Fresh Market (mostly for meats)

Try and be aware of the BOGOs (buy one get one free promos) at Winn Dixie/Publix any given week and stock up. Savings add up after awhile.

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 11-02-2016 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 10:53 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCt View Post
How is Winn Dixie?
Winn-Dixie was decent until nearly 20 years ago. It is not doing well in Jacksonville-Duval County. Several stores have been announced to close or have closed already, and several other stores will convert to another Southeastern Grocers banner, Harvey's Supermarket.

Publix has been the obvious choice over Winn-Dixie for a long time.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Winn Dixie on Solana is ok. Publix in Sawgrass Village seems to have better variety. If I had to breakdown our grocery shopping by store in the past year, it would look something like this:

40% Costco (St Johns Town Center)
50% Publix (Sawgrass Village/Palm Valley Circle)
5% Winn Dixie
5% Fresh Market (mostly for meats)

Try and be aware of the BOGOs (buy one get one free promos) at Winn Dixie/Publix any given week and stock up. Savings add up after awhile.
Thank you. That is very helpful. Costco has always been my first stop. Publix is a nice store but there are very limited choices in the deli case. Boars Head seems to have it sewn up and I don't care for Publx brand deli roast beef. Stop and Shop attempted to go exclusively Boars Head a while back and they lost business. Not that there is anything wrong with Boars Head, except the price.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:08 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
We are pretty much like Ivan. Our "go-to" store on a regular basis is the Publix at Sawgrass (love the BOGOs ). We do buy a fair amount ($$$ wise) at Costco. But go there maybe once every week or two. Buy a small amount of stuff at Fresh Market - and hit Whole Foods in Mandarin every 2-3 weeks. Also shop at JAX Oriental Market when we go to Whole Foods. Never shop at Winn Dixie. Ditto when it comes to Trader Joe's. Buy specialty items (everything from real red beans to poussins) through mail order.

Don't buy cold cuts for the most part - so I don't know the best options there. Publix isn't the best for meat IMO. Although we don't eat a lot of it. If we use a pack or two of 3-4 prime rib eye steaks (from Costco) in grilling season - that's a lot. Whole Foods has choice rib eyes that are often are better than the Costco prime ones. Publix does have ok St. Louis ribs (often on sale). And I just made a Publix corned beef that I picked up on a great sale post-St. Patrick's day (many days of Reuben sandwiches - yum).

The food shopping here is - overall - excellent. You'll just have to figure out where you can find the things you like to buy at a price you care to pay. We are only 2 people - and don't eat a ton of food. So cost isn't a factor for us. Robyn

Old 11-03-2016, 05:15 AM

I went to the Publix next to Target. I will look for the other one. I came from a small Ct. town but we were within 5 miles of 6 different grocery stores; Stop and Shop, Big Y, Geisslers, Costco, Highland Park, and Shop Rite, all with the exception of Costco actively competed against each other for price and value. We had a "few" restaurants. Conversely, there are so many restaurants here, within ten miles that one wouldn't have to eat at the same place for months, but not many choices for grocery shopping. Just an observation.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:42 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,391 times
That's because Publix is practically a monopoly in Florida.

It's a good chain, but I've seen much better....like Wegman's or even the new Super Shop Rites that include a huge section of tons of types of prepared foods and bakery etc.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCt View Post
I went to the Publix next to Target. I will look for the other one.
Sawgrass Village is on A1A about 5 minutes or 2.5 miles south of JTB.

Publix is kind of like Stop & Shop or A&P but with better customer service. You'll get used to it.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
That's because Publix is practically a monopoly in Florida.

It's a good chain, but I've seen much better....like Wegman's or even the new Super Shop Rites that include a huge section of tons of types of prepared foods and bakery etc.
I miss Shop Rite!

Old 11-03-2016, 09:26 AM

6,425 posts, read 4,917,410 times
We have been spoiled by Wegmans here in Western New York. Publix is nice as well, clean, with nice employees. Wegmans monitors the local prices and is always competative plus its on the vanguard of the latest trends. There doesn't seem to be as much competition in Florida as there is here. Here the competition comes from Walmart mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: