Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 2,501 times

Advertisements

We moved from DC a year ago and didn't know the city at all so decided to rent for a year so we would have time to figure out neighborhoods, schools, etc. We ended up renting at Cape House, it's one of those apartment complexes, gated community, pools, etc. It's on the 32224 zip code suggested above. Very convenient location, close to everything. My husband works downtown, his commute is less than 20 minutes, we're less than 10 minutes from the beach, 5 minutes from St Johns Town Center (shopping area). Chet's Creek Elementary is literally next door, I walk my son to school. And they allow pets - we have a golden retriever.

We actually just bought a house nearby (after a year, we decided this location is so convenient, we want to stay here). And we need someone to take over our lease from Sept. 17 to Dec. 31. It's a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit, first floor with open back porch so it doesn't feel like an apartment. It has all the model unit upgrades, including stainless steel appliances. Plus garage, valet trash and pet fee. Lease can be renewed after that. If you're interested I'm happy to provide more details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 12:11 PM

45 posts, read 42,172 times
I live in Atlanta now but lived in Jacksonville for 9 years (moved last year). For the first two years I lived in Lakeside apartments by the Avenues mall. It was nice for the first year of so (2007) but I personally wouldn't live there now bc of the crime. In 2009 I moved to a townhome off Baymeadows rd (close to Gate Parkway). Not sure where yall are working but that's a fantastic area imo bc you are close to everything but it's still relatively quiet.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:45 PM

195 posts, read 214,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelkisses0526 View Post
Hey guys, my husband is looking to work in Jacksonville. I know Jacksonville is a huge city and I'd rater not actually live there but maybe in the surrounding areas that are a bit more safe but have some fun amenities and that are family friendly. We also have three animals, 2 cats and a border collie - lab mix who is not small so we need a place that will allow animals. We aren't looking to rent a house but maybe a condo, townhouse or apartments. I don't know the safe areas outside of Jacksonville, so any suggestions?

Thank you <3
I lived in Jacksonville the majority of my life. The good areas are the southside, jax beach and Mandarin. Mandarin is probably the best area of town. Jacksonville is a VERY family friendly town.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'll give those places a look up. Any other suggestions on places to rent? It's hard finding condos, apartments or townhomes that allow 3 pets that are in safe areas. Being new to town we defiantly want to be safe So far though we are looking at Julington creek

Also, what about areas to avoid?
Phillips Highway is awful, anywhere near Pearl St., downtown is mostly awful, Moncrief is a nightmare, and the Arlington Trailer park near regency they call, "Sin City" is a nightmare. And when you cross the Pearl St. Bridge that is literally the worst section of town and they call that area, "Out East" and that is hands down the worst place in town.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, can anyone tell me about Mandarin, Bay Meadows or just south Jacksonville? Which areas are also considered to be suburbs of Jacksonville? Please and thank you for the feedback
Baymeadows is pretty nice. Mandarin is probably the nicest area of town, and is the deep suburbs.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
what if I'll be working at the airport?
Do not live anywhere near the airport. That is where all the hood areas are.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:22 AM

4 posts, read 4,333 times
I appreciate this thorough feedback as I prepare to relocate in the next month or so. I have been told to avoid the west side, the Northside, Arlington and to avoid the area around Southpoint from Bay Meadows Drive to Southside Blvd. Can anyone elaborate on why these areas would be a problem? I understand reasons not to live in West and Northside. But the bit about Arlington and Baymeadows contradicts some of the info here on city-data. As I said in another thread I'm seeking a 3/2 around $1300 (ideal) to $1500 (less ideal but manageable). I want to have a short commute time. I will be working in 32216 and my husband will be in Town Center. We are really excited to come, but as I have a young child who enjoys playing outside, safety is a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: