Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 949 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the St John's river. The property used to have a pier. What are the steps I need to follow and who do I contact to rebuild the pier? How do I get the original permit records?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 07:37 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyneedshelp View Post
I'm moving to the St John's river. The property used to have a pier. What are the steps I need to follow and who do I contact to rebuild the pier? How do I get the original permit records?
I know there a number of hoops to jump through even when a pier used to exist and some remnants of it are still there.

I wish I had an exact answer for you. But perhaps you could call the city and start your asking there.

To find the history of the pier, you could do a deed search on the property. You could start with the Duval County Property Appraiser site
Property Appraiser - Basic Search

and/or go to the Duval County Clerk of Courts site
Duval County Public Records Search Engine

Somewhere in those documents and deeds you might find a reference to the original permitting process.

(Apologies that the insert URL may not be working, so the above may not be links and must be copy/pasted into your browser.)

Old 06-20-2017, 07:51 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Your best bet is to contact a local contractor who has dealt with this issue on likely numerous occasions. Here are a few results from a quick search of Google:

Ashcraft Marine: Ashcraft Marine - Docks, Boat Lifts & Bulkhead Construction
Barefoot Marine Construction: www.barefootmarineconstruction.com

Old 06-20-2017, 10:10 AM

87 posts, read 79,680 times
Number one is don't touch anything. Just because it once had a pier doesn't mean you can replace it. LOL

Lots of considerations. Start with the building department of the county. Then go from there. There might be al litany of other processes now that are required that weren't required when it was initially built !

Also, you might get a break on some requirements - I don't know. The reason is that there might be some "grand-fathering" provisions that you might qualify for that might eliminate some of the newer requirements !But beware ! the county might not tell you that voluntarily in order for them to impose newer requirements that bring in more fees to the county. For that reasons and others, I could contact an attorney in your area that specializes in construction and compliance. It's the best money you'll ever spend !

For instance, years ago you could use a certain kind of pilings (treated, a particular diameter, sinking depth etc). The types of decking and how it was fastened was more liberal (such as nailed, not screwed, etc)

You also might be able to simply rebuild using still standing and solid pilings....I don't know. The county might "urge" you to replace with the newer materials, although not legally REQUIRED to do so....I don't know.

Also, there might be new requirements given the pervasive use of non-wood, composite (plastic really) decks.

There might be newer requirements such as water clearance height that you might or might not have to comply with, which might be cheaper if there's a grand-fathering provision.

In essence, there might be a lot of moving parts here...get informed, get stuff in writing....let your attorney navigate the nuances of what might be a real liability.

Lots of water-located built fixtures have evolved, not only in materials, but materials used viz the "ecology", pollution,
and safety (such as railings, steps, gates, etc).

Again, don't TOUCH anything until you get ALL of your ducks in a row. If you do make unauthorized changes, it might void a gran-fathering provision if one exists.

ALSO < DO NOT ACCEPT WHAT A DOCK BUILDER TELLS YOU WITHOUT LEGAL VERIFICATION !!!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Along with the city, doesn't the Army Corp. of Engineers get involved, too? Many waterways are sovereign right up to the high water mark.

63SeaRay - excellent to emphasize not to touch anything.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyneedshelp View Post

Whatever you do, don't consult with the City of Jax Beach!!

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville