Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 05:57 PM

203 posts, read 310,559 times

Advertisements

We are continuing our research of the St. John's area before out trip there in a few weeks. One thing I do not see a lot of is fitness centers/gyms. Are there any planned in the new shopping centers coming up? No LA Fitness or Golds Gym? I see a place called Body Control but that looks like only group fitness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 10:03 PM

284 posts, read 379,036 times
St. Aug has Planet Fitness, World's Gym (2 locations), Anytime Fitness and Anastasia Fitness. Edit: almost forgot about Funkytown Fitness.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:14 AM

43 posts, read 80,298 times
Not sure what you're looking for but there's a Y in PVB and various other locations in the area. We plan to join there once we move next month.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:38 AM

Thanks. Prefer to have some thing within 5-10 min drive as my husband goes very early on the mornings. Seems like most are in St Aug

Old 07-19-2017, 01:42 PM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma123 View Post
Thanks. Prefer to have some thing within 5-10 min drive as my husband goes very early on the mornings. Seems like most are in St Aug
What part of St Johns County will be you living in? There is a lack of really good gyms in our area currently. I happen to belong to two decent ones:

1. Bailey's Powerhouse Gym (Mandarin) on San Jose - typical big box gym with tons of machines, free weights, classes and even a kid's area. Probably my favorite gym thus far. Sometimes finding space on the squat racks and some of the cardio machines can be challenging as there is a serious lack of gym etiquette there by several members who will just use the same space for 30+ mins at a time. And there are some crazy people there. Like literally crazy.....as in they're homeless and possibly schizophrenic but spend the $20/month and use it for the locker rooms and when they workout they scream and dance and everyone steers clear of them. But the 2 I see only come in a few times a month that I've noticed.

But Bailey's has several gyms in/around Jax so if you get a membership here you can use any of their gyms (one further down San Jose, Orange Park, Jax Beach, Beaymeadows off the top of my head). It's open 24 hours, which is nice. It can be a little meathead-ish but as long as that doesn't bother you it's a good choice.

2. EveryBody Fitness on 210. They've recently expanded to make it a respectable gym with most all of the basics. My wife loves this gym for their weekend zumba/yoga classes. Also has a daycare area. I find this gym to be a tad depressing at times. No TVs, music is stale and frankly the people who workout there are a bit older and it just creates a sort of blah atmosphere. If there are more than 5 people in the free weight area it can feel crowded. But since they expanded everything is still moderately new and clean.

I did try a few times at Body Control and that gym is really tiny. I would only consider that if you're one of those people who likes to do classes as I know that is their specialty.

I have heard rumors of a YMCA opening in the area....a REAL one (the one in Bartram has no weights...huh??).....but that's internet chatter and unverified. I'm hoping with all of the building in the area an LA Fitness or something similar opens up close by.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:10 AM

I just picked up a flyer (ironically from a pizza joint, lol) that indicates an LA Fitness will be built on Old St Augustine Road near 295. I know nothing about this gym though......there are 2 or 3 already in Jax. I would assume it is similar to the Bailey's gyms. Gym is slated to open spring 2018.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Thanks! Think that may be a little further north than we are looking. We are looking in Durbin crossing, julington creek area and along 210. Good know LA Fitness is coming to that area, huge nice gym. Was hoping the my would build one in Durbin park. I prefer the good cardio machines over classes and hubby likes cardio and free weights.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma123 View Post
Thanks! Think that may be a little further north than we are looking. We are looking in Durbin crossing, julington creek area and along 210. Good know LA Fitness is coming to that area, huge nice gym. Was hoping the my would build one in Durbin park. I prefer the good cardio machines over classes and hubby likes cardio and free weights.
We're in Durbin and have a laughably small gym at the South Amenity Center that you might be able to use for your cardio. It can be a real challenge to find any space in there in the mornings and the weights and machines are minimal.

If Bailey's on San Jose is too far for you (I make that drive daily) I would consider Every Body Fitness then. It's the best close option we have in Durbin at the moment.

There is a Planet Fitness on Old St Augustine and 95 that might suit your needs but your husband sounds like me - prefers free weights - then Planet Fitness is not the best gym for him.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Also, Bailey's isn't too far of a drive from Julington Creek. In fact, most of the members who I interact with there all live in JCP. If you go early enough it's less than a 10 minute drive depending on which section of JCP you choose. There is also, I believe, a small Anytime Fitness on SR 13. No idea what that's like though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville