Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,528 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are planning on relocating our family to Jacksonville. I have read that the Saint Johns area is the best however it seems to be lacking in diversity. We will be working from home so proximity to work isn't an issue. Our kids will enroll in private school so the area schools aren't a deal breaker either. We will be looking for a house with at least 5 bedrooms for about $700k. We have a big family so the suburbs may be a better fit. Ideally proximity to shopping, diversity and a kid friendly area would work best for us.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 10:29 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jloveforever4 View Post
Hello,

We are planning on relocating our family to Jacksonville. I have read that the Saint Johns area is the best however it seems to be lacking in diversity. We will be working from home so proximity to work isn't an issue. Our kids will enroll in private school so the area schools aren't a deal breaker either. We will be looking for a house with at least 5 bedrooms for about $700k. We have a big family so the suburbs may be a better fit. Ideally proximity to shopping, diversity and a kid friendly area would work best for us.

Thanks in advance!
If diversity is what you seek, then why are you enrolling your kids in private school?

Jacksonville is mostly just black & white. There's a small percentage of hispanics & asians, but there isn't much culture or big city diversity like you'd find in NYC or Miami.

Keep your expectations low and Jacksonville will seem like a pretty decent place.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:23 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Suburbs with a $700K budget and diversity are near impossible just about anywhere, Jax is no different. The closest thing may be areas near the beaches - Atlantic Beach, Jax Beach, Neptune Beach......or possibly the Mandarin neighborhood.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:47 PM

370 posts, read 325,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jloveforever4 View Post
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
If you're looking for diversity, you're in the wrong place bub.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,528 times
Thank you Florida 2014. I found your response to be very helpful. I have heard about Mandarin from other posts so I will look into it deeper and will check out the other places you mentioned as well.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:28 AM

62 posts, read 136,141 times
Private schools pretty much guarantee an all white enrollment

Old 07-31-2017, 01:06 PM

140 posts, read 168,200 times
Whoever told you jax is not diverse must not go out that often and mostly Netflix and chill. I moved here a year ago from Midwest and i find jacksonville to be a pretty diverse city unless you live far northside which feels pretty much like rural Georgia lol. But i wait tables in a busy restaurant in a decent part of town ( kernan area) and ppl from all kinds of different countries come in to eat. Btw i am turkish and there is an ukranian, an Albanian and a Korean working with me also the hostess lady is half Puerto Rican and half Egyptian.... boss man is an Italian from Detroit area.... this is pretty much How it is in inner city .... I find foreigners to be well integrated to American culture/ Florida lifestyle so they don't stand out to much . Whoever is denying there is a huge middle eastern and Russian population in jax is dont know what the hell they are talking about . Good luck with your search!

Old 07-31-2017, 01:27 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada_yel View Post
Whoever told you jax is not diverse must not go out that often and mostly Netflix and chill. I moved here a year ago from Midwest and i find jacksonville to be a pretty diverse city unless you live far northside which feels pretty much like rural Georgia lol. But i wait tables in a busy restaurant in a decent part of town ( kernan area) and ppl from all kinds of different countries come in to eat. Btw i am turkish and there is an ukranian, an Albanian and a Korean working with me also the hostess lady is half Puerto Rican and half Egyptian.... boss man is an Italian from Detroit area.... this is pretty much How it is in inner city .... I find foreigners to be well integrated to American culture/ Florida lifestyle so they don't stand out to much . Whoever is denying there is a huge middle eastern and Russian population in jax is dont know what the hell they are talking about . Good luck with your search!
You didn't read OPs message - he/she is looking for diversity in a suburb of Jacksonville, not Jacksonville itself. I think most people know Jax is diverse.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:30 PM

I also like to add there is a serious amount of filipino ppl here they just opened their first international fast food restaurant and i believe it is the first official filipino fast food chain in united states if i am not mistaken

Old 07-31-2017, 01:32 PM

I am pretty positive suburbs on the southside of town is still going to be döverse lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville