Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:29 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1981 View Post
I don’t want to hijack the thread but how much are you guys paying per month roughly for pool company to maintain your pool? Thx.
Pinch-a-Penny handles our chemicals for $75/mo. They visit every Monday. By comparison, one of my clients has a small pool company handling full service and they are charged $30/visit plus the cost of chemicals and a small "fuel surcharge".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 04:25 PM

203 posts, read 310,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1981 View Post
I don’t want to hijack the thread but how much are you guys paying per month roughly for pool company to maintain your pool? Thx.
No worries not hijacking at all, pricing was my next question. Lol

Old 01-10-2018, 04:26 PM

Can we swim in the winter in Jax with heated pool or is it too cold? How about solar heating? They work and cheaper?

Old 01-10-2018, 07:37 PM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma123 View Post
Can we swim in the winter in Jax with heated pool or is it too cold? How about solar heating? They work and cheaper?
If you are a polar bear it will feel just about right. Seriously almost no one swims here in the winter. Heating a pool will be prohibitive and solar won't matter that much. If you have a screen enclosure it will be even colder.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:09 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,059 times
Learning the pool chemical thing is SO EZ, and I have never had a pool chemical company not help me out IF I ever needed it. They are who you use for your chemicals and become friends with. You take your water to them in a baby food jar and they test it (until YOU learn the chemicals and buy your own test kit). They also sell fun stuff for pools: lights, rafts, fences for toddlers, etc. Here is the BIG secret for keeping your pool clean and in balance.....USE IT! Use it often and keep the water stirred up (which also stirs up any leaves etc in the bottom of the pool to get them out). Buy a long handled net to fish things out. We had a pool in Miami and NEVER owned a vacuum for it and never needed one because we swam in it daily and kept the water stirred up and the occasional frog, etc fished out. further inMeet your neighbors and allow them to come and use it when you don't feel like it. Most of my BEST memories as a kid/teen were of parties my Dad threw on the back porch at the pool.
I'm gonna retire in Jax in a year and open a pool care business if you won't learn it; I will certainly come and take your $$$!

Last edited by mooksmom; 01-17-2018 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: further info

Old 01-22-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
If you are a polar bear it will feel just about right. Seriously almost no one swims here in the winter. Heating a pool will be prohibitive and solar won't matter that much. If you have a screen enclosure it will be even colder.
Waaa! Sorry that is me crying that I won’t be able to swim in winter. I guess I will have to be happy with just the other months of the year. Lol. thanks so much for all the tips.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:17 PM

Thank you all for the great tips! It is so helpful. Now here’s another question? Does anyone know of a reliable pool builder in the area? Although we are hoping to buy a home already with pool, if we don’t find home we love that has one hubby wants to buy home without and put one in. We are estimating about $50k for a standard sized pool, hot tub and screen enclosure. Does that sound right?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:57 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma123 View Post
We are estimating about $50k for a standard sized pool, hot tub and screen enclosure. Does that sound right?
I'm not sure what a standard size is, but ours is a 16x33 free-form pool w/ enclosure and no hot tub or other water features. We paid about $55k. A screen enclosure will cost no less than $10k. Ours was $11k.

I won't recommend my pool company, not because they did a bad job, but because I wasn't overly thrilled with the way they treated me at the end. I also didn't think they did a good job selling me a pool with regard to features, etc, since I'm a first time pool owner. You can DM for their name, if you'd like.

I have a couple of friends who have used Breakwater Construction, and they were very happy with the finished product. I wish I had known about them. https://www.facebook.com/BreakwaterConstruction/

Old 01-23-2018, 06:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
That price is not even close. I can recommend Inground Swimming Pools & Spas | SurfSide Pools | Jacksonville, FL. We already have a pool, so we didn't need a new one, but they have an excellent reputation. For 50 k you can maybe get a plain pool and a possibly a screened enclosure but a spa needs a heater, 2 speed or variable speed pump, a bunch of valves and a concrete spa which is very inefficient compared to a free standing unit. We thought about adding one but the cost was prohibitive 15-20k and we decided against it.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:30 AM

Do most HOAs in the communities in St. Johns area all allow screens over pools? Is that something you have to get permission from them to build in your yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville