Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:36 AM

661 posts, read 867,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camster99 View Post
Thanks Gromicide, we took a drive through 20 mile when we were there last year and loved it (the entrance alone was very impressive). Can you tell me more about why you chose 20 mile over say Coastal Oaks, GreenLeaf etc.......?

We plan to visit PVB when we are down there in a few months but we are leaning more towards the master planned community. Again, Nocatee was very impressive when we looked last year so real world input is awesome.

I see some really nice listings (resales) in GreenLeaf. They appear to be bigger lots, more privacy etc...any thoughts on that?
We went with Twenty Mile (which is really 9 different little communities and a 10th on the way) because it has a little bit more of a rural feel. The Town Center communities are great too if you want to be closer to the stores and amenities but 20 mile does have more trees but not necessarily in your yard just surrounding the neighborhoods. That is what I mean by rural feeling. At the time I also thought 20 mile might have more appeal years down the road if we want to sell. In 20 mile, we see Deer, Wild Hogs, Bald Eagles, Alligators, Snakes etc...Obviously people don't like the snakes part but it's part of being in the area.

Thundarr has a good point with resales too. Also with the whole MPC and gimmicky things to lure you in. IMO if you are willing to pay a CDD, I think Nocatee offers the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,498 times
Default New to Nocatee

Hi We are looking at homes in 20 mile. Any thoughts on builders? Like ICI on web, did a walk through of unfinished property. Bad reviews at other properties for ICI in FL. How would you stack rank David Weekley, Providence, ICI, and Dostie? And where do we buy the golf cart?

Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camster99 View Post
Hi all,

Our youngest child is starting college this year so we are finally ready to make the move to a tax friendly, affordable and warmer state! A colleague of mine mentioned Ponte Vedra. We took a trip down there last month and came across Nocatee and absolutely loved it! Clean, new, fun, bright and affordable (at least compared to NJ real estate). I’ve been reading a bunch of these threads and overall the feedback seems pretty positive. I would love to hear anything and everything that you can share.

1 - kids are grown but we’d like extra bedrooms when they visit.

2 - 500-600k budget.

3 - I’d rather not do Del Webb (not quite 55 anyway):

4 - Would love to hear from NY / NJ folks. My wife is still nervous about moving out of our comfort zone - more progressive, socially liberal environment. I’m trying to convince her that Florida is a ‘swing state’ and not complete red LOL. Seems like a lot of northeast transplants in Nocatee anyway but would love some feedback from anyone that made the move.

5 - Toll Brothers does some good work in NJ but I’m reading mixed reviews on these forums. David Weekly seems to have a great reputation. Am I on the right track?

6 - We took a drive through Pallencia and loved it as well but we are leaning towards Nocatee. Anyone have input on Pallencia?

7 - Alligators, snakes, things that attack you in the backyard? Is any of that true or is it just stuff that you see on the Animal Channel?

8 - Tell me about the diversity. We’d like a diverse environment religious, ethnic etc.....I didn’t get that feel at all from hanging out at the Nocatee Town Center.

9- Anyone concerned about resale? Let’s say we live there for a few years and decide it’s not for us. With new housing going up all over the place, is that a concern?

10 - Is Ponte Vedra considered an upscale area? It definelty appears that way but what’s the real story? Any crime, safety concerns?

11 - I am completely confused on CDD, Bond fees and HOA. Here in NJ we pay property taxes and an HOA fee for our townhouse. I saw a few posts that say watch out for CDD (if I’m even using the right term). What does this mean and what do I need to watch out for?

Anything you could share would be great - I’d love to hear it all! Thanks so much.

NE Florida is the "reddest" part of the State. South Florida is where the Blue Birds fly. That being said, if you're coming here for the "tax friendly" environment, and you move here and vote blue, you will just end up taking the "tax friendly" appeal of Florida away and we'll end up like NY, NJ, CA and all the other high tax states that people are moving away from. We don't need anymore Blue Birds, or we'll lose everything that has made the State such a wonderful place to live in the first place.

Northeast Florida is pretty much die hard red, so if political leanings are that important to you in choosing where you live, and you don't have an open mind to see the other side like many northerners I know who have moved here, and seen the difference in how policies affect quality of life, you might consider a locale further south, like Miami-Dade or thereabouts.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:38 AM

482 posts, read 419,379 times
^ Here here & +1!

OP appears to want to keep their liberal leanings, but do it in a tax friendly way. Typical. And define what "diversity" means to you, by the way & why it means so much to be "around it"? Are you a mixed race couple? Do you just like good Indian food? Are you an SJW who wants to feel good about themselves by having a black neighbor? "Diversity", as a word, is quickly becoming a pet peeve of mine as it's bandied about so much by people who don't stop to think what they truly mean.

If these things truly mean so much to you, be the change and work on repealing the tax laws where you are.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,746 times
Nocatee is a great place to live, it has a lifestyle you cant get in NJ. If your preconceptions are that you have to vote for Trump, then dont worry, its America, you dont have to. If you think you will be surrounded by KKK, dont worry, thats just fake news. People dont ask you what your political leanings are, they just try to live their lives. Worrying about diversity and red or blue will lead to trouble anywhere. Keep your leanings to yourself and just live and enjoy, you will be surprised about how life in America isnt like what CNN or NBC says it is. Florida is the best state on the east coast to live, and since coming to Jacksonville 13 years ago, im happier than i ever was in NJ. People are friendlier, weather is nicer, traffic is better, scenery is more pleasant, In St johns's everything is growing and new. I can go on and on, but maybe you should rent here first and see if you like it, so many places as nice as nocatee, maybe even better, popping up. see which is right for you.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:35 AM

103 posts, read 139,744 times
Palencia is a nice consideration if you are interested in larger lot options and a diverse age demographic. There are every age and stage throughout the neighborhood that is not confined to one particular section. Beautiful lots that back to the intercoastal. Golf course and clubhouse through private membership. Easy access to historic/downtown St. Augustine where you may experience a more progressive vibe than other areas of the county.

We were drawn to the larger lots full of lush preserve and trees. But yes, alligators and snakes call NE Florida home too. No alligators in the backyard yet, but snakes yes.

I would be less concerned about resale in Palencia say vs Nocatee where it is still far from being built out. While Palencia is still building, the new build section is a different price point on mostly smaller lots. Unless of course you build custom on the marsh or golf course.

Ponte Vedra Beach (32082) is generally considered the most upscale part of the county. Your price point there will likely get you an older, smaller home in need of improvements. But, location location location...

Generally crime in any of these areas are teens rummaging through unlocked vehicles at night. Basements do not exist in Florida, so storage is lacking and forces vehicles in the driveways at night vs garages.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2019, 05:49 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMO View Post
As I stated in the past, FL is only good if you are looking to retire. It's great state for those who are escaping from the higher taxed state post-retirement.
We're a relatively young family that moved from NJ to PVB looking for warm weather and outdoor lifestyle/beach life. We didn't have to leave but we had had enough of the cold so we left. Lower taxes and great schools here were a bonus. How is that aspect of it only good if we're looking to retire? I'm in my early 40s, wife in the late 30s (plus a 4 year old). There are a ton of young working families in PVB, Nocatee, St. Johns, JB, NB, AB etc.. Are they all bunch of idiots that moved to retirement communities? My development in Palm Valley has 350 homes. You'd be hard pressed to find people in their 70s, let alone 60s.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Because when you have $$$ to move into PVB, life is good. And no, they aren't a bunch of idiots with those with families. However, there's people like me and others who think living in those areas are boring and their income isn't high enough to afford in the nicer parts of the area. I make good enough income (closer to $50k), and with my income hosing in those areas are pretty out of reach. Now, if you moved from the north with a great income or retirement, then FL is wonderful. However, I really believe due to the low tax nature of this state, it attracts tons of retirees.
Well, you didn't quite say that but I respect your opinion nonetheless. I along with many other families who actually live in this area (not an outsider looking in) certainly don't find it boring. At any rate, I'm just pointing out how you made a generalization and stated that "FL is only good if you are looking to retire" which I simply don't agree with.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
And I agree a generalization wasn't the best response here. Me and the GF aren't fans of the suburbs format that's the norm in FL. Event time we go into PVB, we feel pretty poor and I swear the keep it up with the Joneses is big there. Then again, one person's perspective.
Yup I hear you. Have a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville