Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:29 AM

9,397 posts, read 8,363,704 times

Advertisements

A realtor may not have all the information you need. For example, in our community there was a proposal to suddenly shift a good portion of the neighborhood away from the brand new K-8 school that is within walking (or bike riding) distance to most homes. There is just no way a realtor could have foreseen that as, really, this came as a shock to nearly everyone living here. Many parents pulled together to fight it and eventually the proposed rezoning was altered quite a bit, but these changes are never ending here until it's fully built out.............which may not be for decades.

Even the school districts themselves vastly underestimated the amount of kids going to these schools, evidenced by the temporary trailer classrooms that may now become permanent fixtures. Money, of course, is part of the issue but I was amazed when a brand new K-8 school that didn't even exist 4 years ago suddenly is maxed out well past capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 12:32 PM

110 posts, read 146,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
A realtor may not have all the information you need. For example, in our community there was a proposal to suddenly shift a good portion of the neighborhood away from the brand new K-8 school that is within walking (or bike riding) distance to most homes. There is just no way a realtor could have foreseen that as, really, this came as a shock to nearly everyone living here. Many parents pulled together to fight it and eventually the proposed rezoning was altered quite a bit, but these changes are never ending here until it's fully built out.............which may not be for decades.

Even the school districts themselves vastly underestimated the amount of kids going to these schools, evidenced by the temporary trailer classrooms that may now become permanent fixtures. Money, of course, is part of the issue but I was amazed when a brand new K-8 school that didn't even exist 4 years ago suddenly is maxed out well past capacity.
Florida2014 - sounds like you are talking about Willowcove in Nocatee and their getting switched out of VRA - we lived in WC for a while and I can tell you I did see that coming two years ago based on what 20Mile was doing! Parents acted surprised because they weren't seeing how many homes were going in all over and there are bunches that believe those schools are Nocatee schools - they aren't - no one was considering all the areas south of Nocatee that go to VRA.

These schools are only built on Noc land, but the county doesn't care - they simply zone for bussing routes. Honestly though, WC was never within walking distance to either of the Noc area K-8 schools, that is why only Austin Park and the GL areas were truly safe with VRA zoning. When we moved to WC the first thing I said to my husband was "when that new school goes in WC is going to switch - mark my words"

Of course then we were all thinking the new school was going near Coast Oaks the way the maps kept depicting "Proposed Future School", but since the new KK school was going to pick up all the Nocatee kids east of Palm Valley Road, WC was bound to go with it. I am surprised by their reasoning because this new school seems like it will have trailers on day one with now picking up the new community south of Coastal Oaks too! But VRA gets all the Florentine kids, the Walden Chase kids, Austin and ALL of those kids in GL - there are a ton in GL - it makes sense because WC doesn't have as many little kids as the other places. Sure there are some, but there is a big amount of older elementary and up.

And as far as the trailers that are at VRA - that school was over building capacity on day 3 that it opened. We went there and it was crazy big. We weren't happy about it, but like someone else said "with all this building it is bound to happen." Just sad that there isn't a way to balance it. I think that was the attempt when they zoned the Beach Walk kids for Palencia, but oh! What a commute!

The only way to keep up would be to know how many home permits are planned through 2025 and then they could strategically plan, but with these massive developers holding the land, it is hard to guess how they are diving the lots. At one time Noc was ok'd for a golf course (years ago in the 90s) but ask the community manager now and he will say "sure we applied for it at first, but we have no plans on building one now." So what do you think is going to go on those acres? More tract homes by national builders. Lots of them. I was just in CO last week for a client. The handed us a folder with lots - showing us where one was in the back - on that map this "curve" in the road had 6 lots. On the interactive map on the big table, that same part of the street has 9 lots! That is 50% more on one small section of a neighborhood street and that is what they (all the builders) are doing in all of these new communities. It maximizes their profit but hurts the schools big time with all the new enrollment.

Last edited by Jax2PVB; 02-23-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 12:55 PM

9,397 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Actually was referring to Durbin Crossing and Patriot Oaks Academy students and the proposed re-zoning.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:57 PM

110 posts, read 146,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Actually was referring to Durbin Crossing and Patriot Oaks Academy students and the proposed re-zoning.
So you guys are going through it just as bad? Like i said, the same stuff is going on in Noc and the parents tried hard but the district told me in December that it was set for next year. They are being a little more lenient with middle schoolers though, as they are letting them finish out VRA for the Willowcove kids or Landrum for the other communities' kids.

Durbin, I would say, is second only to Nocatee in size and growth - it's all insane. Best of luck to your kiddos. At least we know that the district does try hard to keep the standards up despite the nightmare this volume of building is giving them.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:37 PM

103 posts, read 139,744 times
And for anyone looking in the World Golf Village area....looks like the district's next idea for growth control is converting existing k-5's into k-8's.

District proposes K-8 expansion to handle growth - News - The St. Augustine Record - St. Augustine, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville