Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 08:10 PM

10 posts, read 19,060 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am a 29yr old male entrepreneur thats moving to Jacksonville, FL. I will be renting an apartment for my first few months in town and have considered Riverside (the strand) and Jax beach (bluewater). My friends that live in Jax say pros/cons of each.

From what I am told, young early 20's consume all of Jax beach night life and I will most likely be shoulder to shoulder and ignored ...but your at the beach.

Riverside is more trending with professionals, buy majority of the ppl are married and not much night life....

Can someone shed some light on the pros/cons of each of these areas? I just visited this weekend and liked everything I saw but this is the information ive been provided about my living options. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Riverside vs Jax Beach-img_0938.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 09:37 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Welcome!

First thing right off the bat...The Strand is NOT in Riverside. It's on the southbank, which is across the river from downtown. Some folks consider it part of downtown. It's an awesome building with amazing views but the lifestyle of the neighborhood is not at all like Riverside, which is much more walkable and vibrant. The only reason to choose it is you have easy access to downtown if needed (skyway is right across the street) and if you're lucky, the best views in the city from your balcony. In all other ways it pales in comparison to Riverside or the Beach.

So I'm not sure where your info went awry, but it's also off in that Riverside actually has a ton of nightlife. For many folks it's the #1 area (it's pretty much Riverside and the beaches as 1a and 1b). 5 points in the heart of Riverside is a major nightlife cluster, and King St, closer to the western edge of Riverside is considered the primary nightlife corridor. But remember, this is not where the Strand is located.

Bluwater at the beach is a nice new complex that's pretty close to the ocean and nightlife. Beach life is worth a try if it appeals to you. There's a ton of truth in what you've been told as the nightlife out there skews heavily towards a young, college-ish crowd, but it's hardly ALL that there is. There's a decent young professional contingent in fact.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:09 AM

Maximus,

Thanks for the reply! Yeah that was my bad. I knew the strand wasnt "riverside" haha I am a new guy and figured things along the river were rounded into that term. I do not have a huge NEED to be near downtown as from what ive hear DT is kind of lacking. However, it seems close to riverside (like a 3min uber). I guess I need to look at apartments "in riverside". I am assuming that they will be leased at a premium and the strand may have an advantage over that. I can tell that the view would be a +.

Thanks for the update on beaches being kinda true. Not sure thats what I should get into, but who dosent want to live on the beach. that and im sure a costal breeze is nice.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:38 AM

Downtown is lacking. It's got some interesting spots and hosts some cool events from time to time, but it's not what a downtown should be.

Strand is close to Riverside...I mean all the urban core neighborhoods are relatively close to each other. You will Riverside, San Marco and Springfield are all practically adjacent to downtown (San Marco begins about a block away from the Strand) and then Avondale and Murray Hill are on the other side of Riverside, so maybe 10 min drive from the Strand. These are all the hip, walkable, charming urban core neighborhoods (by Jax standards). You might also hear "Brooklyn" which is between Riverside and downtown, but like the Southbank it is pretty much considered part of downtown by most people.

That's the main dilemma for most young professionals coming to Jax. Deciding between the urban core and the beaches. Cause they both offer pros and cons and unfortunately they are so far apart geographically that it's basically an either/or.

P.S. You will hear St Johns Town Center come up as well as a popular area to be in. And in a way it's a nice compromise as its more or less halfway between downtown and the beach. Just note that while there are a ton of YPs in this area as well, it is far more suburban feeling and as a "nightlife" destination it's a bit behind what you find at the beach or Riverside. It is more of a shopping destination (lots of stores that are only there and no where else in town) and it's quickly developing attractions like Top Golf and iFly...a microbrewery just opened there, etc. but it's just not quite on the level of the others, imo.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Max

you have been great man. My business is most likely going to be off of Hendricks Ave right under San Marco area, however I think for me, it may make more sense to live on the beach... or at least thats what I am leaning towards. It has a nightlife, I can walk my dogs on the beach easily (mornings and evenings), and its relatively a bit cooler along the coast as well. Its a little bit of a drive, and not 100% of my night life will be focused on the beach, but thats just what Im thinking fits better.

Anyone else have any feedback? Thanks again Max!

Old 06-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshubbard View Post
Max

you have been great man. My business is most likely going to be off of Hendricks Ave right under San Marco area, however I think for me, it may make more sense to live on the beach... or at least thats what I am leaning towards. It has a nightlife, I can walk my dogs on the beach easily (mornings and evenings), and its relatively a bit cooler along the coast as well. Its a little bit of a drive, and not 100% of my night life will be focused on the beach, but thats just what Im thinking fits better.

Anyone else have any feedback? Thanks again Max!
No problem! I'm surprised no one else has chimed in. I guess my advice is just too good that there's nothing to add

Yeah, can't go wrong with the beach but I hope you can do off hours at your business then. While Jax traffic isn't bad, I would guess that going to San Marco between 730-9am and heading to the beach from 430-6p would double your commute time. So if you can avoid those hours then much better.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:14 AM

306 posts, read 328,397 times
Go Bravos! Look at the reviews on Bluewater, the place looks nice but the reviews seemed a little sketchy. I've always wondered the draw to downtown Jacksonville I guess having family at the beach for years I never really ventured into downtown, and my dad grew up around the Avondale area, herschel st so occasionally we would cruise down there when he wanted to remember the old days lol, but the beach always seems to me like the best spot to be and your still in your 20s so you would probably fit in well there! I had been looking at some places down there recently, definitely were some cool apartments in the St. John Town Center area that had great reviews, also some other nice looking complexes are in the marsh landing/ponte vedra area right of jtb near the chickfila and publix so might be worth looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: