Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 09:36 AM

194 posts, read 152,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFo View Post
That’s nice to know, but I’m not looking to move around the area. My question was more of a “hey, anyone from somewhere other than NE FL/Florida in general move to Jax and regret it?” And if so, why? I saw on a current thread someone mention they’ve lived here for 10 years are moving back to where they lived prior. In his case, Colorado. The taxes were just one thing for me as a why. Others could be the near-constant heat, lack of a traditional big-city downtown (live-work-play), lack of transit, etc. I’m just curious as to other transplant views.
My family and I moved here just about a year ago, and we like it, it just seems people here are not as friendly as we thought they were when we first moved here,(no smiles or nods when entering a place etc) I like all the great things to do, the location, the fun and close day trips destinations, I agree with you that the downtown was a huge dissappoinment, but I have heard that the revitalization is finally happening. I was also surprised at the higher crime rate here, I never realized that shootings would impact me in this city as I came from a small town in south Florida and crime was kinda non existant, but I knew that big city means crime, just has been happening a little too close to home and we are in a very desireable area of Jax. I do not regret it as we have been having a great time here, I am just re thinking our decision a little bit, but will give it more time, I just hope it gets better here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 09:41 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remirosie123 View Post
My family and I moved here just about a year ago, and we like it, it just seems people here are not as friendly as we thought they were when we first moved here,(no smiles or nods when entering a place etc) I like all the great things to do, the location, the fun and close day trips destinations, I agree with you that the downtown was a huge dissappoinment, but I have heard that the revitalization is finally happening. I was also surprised at the higher crime rate here, I never realized that shootings would impact me in this city as I came from a small town in south Florida and crime was kinda non existant, but I knew that big city means crime, just has been happening a little too close to home and we are in a very desireable area of Jax. I do not regret it as we have been having a great time here, I am just re thinking our decision a little bit, but will give it more time, I just hope it gets better here....
We had other reasons for leaving Jax, but crime was among them. Lived on the Southside, near Avenues Mall, for 10 1/2 years. Been gone now for 2 1/2 years and the crime goes on. I seriously doubt the crime will lower, because I don't see crime lowering in any big city in America.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've been here for over a year now and I go through stages where I really like Jax and stages where I'm disenchanted with it. But overall it's working for me. The main reason I moved here is for employment.
this is exactly how I feel! Glad I am not alone!

Old 04-22-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
We had other reasons for leaving Jax, but crime was among them. Lived on the Southside, near Avenues Mall, for 10 1/2 years. Been gone now for 2 1/2 years and the crime goes on. I seriously doubt the crime will lower, because I don't see crime lowering in any big city in America.
I have a coworker from NY and she said it said how the crime is skyrocketing there, I guess it is getting bad in more places than just here, sadly. What is the high d=crime issue, why can't they get it under control more?

Old 04-22-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFo View Post
That’s nice to know, but I’m not looking to move around the area. My question was more of a “hey, anyone from somewhere other than NE FL/Florida in general move to Jax and regret it?” And if so, why? I saw on a current thread someone mention they’ve lived here for 10 years are moving back to where they lived prior. In his case, Colorado. The taxes were just one thing for me as a why. Others could be the near-constant heat, lack of a traditional big-city downtown (live-work-play), lack of transit, etc. I’m just curious as to other transplant views.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
No. I love my city. A city is not made good or bad by politicians, but rather by the people who reside in it and determine how they are going to live their lives.

I've lived in Ohio, Minnesota, California and Georgia, and there is no where I'd rather call home right now than Jacksonville, Florida.

SS
I like your post! I like it here, but cannot put my finger on why it seems not the same as just a year ago.....

Old 04-23-2022, 10:05 AM

We have lived in So California, where we met. Then, after we got married, moved to Colorado, 28 miles south of Denver, for 5 1/2 years. Then, on to N. Carolina, just north of Charlotte, for a year/3 months. Then, to Jacksonville, FL for the next 10 1/2 years. And, now, back to Colorado, but the northern part, BUT leaving CO in mid 2023. Where to? Don't know yet.

But, in part, really enjoyed living in Jacksonville, but we learned we are definitely not "Southerners" at all. And, not a beach couple at all. Only went to Jacksonville Beach a few times.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:42 AM

33 posts, read 21,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
We have lived in So California, where we met. Then, after we got married, moved to Colorado, 28 miles south of Denver, for 5 1/2 years. Then, on to N. Carolina, just north of Charlotte, for a year/3 months. Then, to Jacksonville, FL for the next 10 1/2 years. And, now, back to Colorado, but the northern part, BUT leaving CO in mid 2023. Where to? Don't know yet.

But, in part, really enjoyed living in Jacksonville, but we learned we are definitely not "Southerners" at all. And, not a beach couple at all. Only went to Jacksonville Beach a few times.
You had to "learn" that? hey, FL is the south. It's not for everyone, neither is southern CA, thank God Almighty, oh, and JAX is not NY or Denver either.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:11 PM

30 posts, read 27,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Markus View Post
You had to "learn" that? hey, FL is the south. It's not for everyone, neither is southern CA, thank God Almighty, oh, and JAX is not NY or Denver either.
Yes people have to learn this. If you’re a non religious, moderate/libertarian type, who doesn’t like either side of politics (literally or society functioning wise) to be shoved down your throat, you’ll spend a massive amount of time trying to figure out where you belong. Our kind are very small in numbers these days.

Because fact is, you won’t belong anywhere. You’ll just need to find the least oppressive of it all, which probably means trying out areas in the South, North, and West coast until you’re at least ok, because let’s be honest most of the Midwest sucks and/or doesn’t have much going for it as far as natural draws.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omo33 View Post
Yes people have to learn this. If you’re a non religious, moderate/libertarian type, who doesn’t like either side of politics (literally or society functioning wise) to be shoved down your throat, you’ll spend a massive amount of time trying to figure out where you belong. Our kind are very small in numbers these days.

Because fact is, you won’t belong anywhere. You’ll just need to find the least oppressive of it all, which probably means trying out areas in the South, North, and West coast until you’re at least ok, because let’s be honest most of the Midwest sucks and/or doesn’t have much going for it as far as natural draws.
Now, this (in red) is seriously untrue, however a lot of areas of these states are either ranching, farming or both. But, the big cities in these states are sometimes very much sought after for jobs.

But, there are those that live in Florida, that don't even know where any of the mountain states, like Montana, Wyoming, Colorado are. Same goes for the high plains states.

The people we talked to in Jacksonville were quite shocked when we told them we were moving back to a "winter/snow/cold" area, but didn't even know where Colorado was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville