Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 02:51 PM

565 posts, read 1,252,730 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Jacksonville for work. I want to live in a nice, safe area close to shopping and proximity to the beaches (and I would prefer to be on the beach-side of the St. Johns River). The attached map shows where my job location will be. My home budget will be no more than $300k - preferably less so I can pay down debt. I just don't want to find myself in a low-income, depressed part of the city. Any suggestions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Jax - nice place to live vs. work commute?-jacksonville-x.jpg  

Last edited by tricon7; 06-14-2019 at 03:28 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 04:30 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Are you seeking a sfh or condo? How many bedrooms?

Old 06-14-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Are you seeking a sfh or condo? How many bedrooms?

Home, not a duplex. Must be 4 bedrooms.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:42 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Hmm, so you will pretty much be fine if you are looking on the east side of the river. There's really only one bad region which is the area where the word "Arlington" is on your map and north of it towards the river. But you wouldn't want to look that far north anyway given your workplace. Maybe there are also a few other questionable spots here and there but they are either very far out of the way or they are just sketchy apt complexes (which obviously you're not looking for) so you don't really have to worry too much.

That said, I wouldn't go too far towards the beach. You would be reverse commuting but nevertheless farther east means longer commute. If you are concerned about schools then you could try St Johns County or Clay County. St Johns can get pricey but I think you might find your price range more inland.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:49 PM

I would love to live in Jacksonville Beach or Ponte Vedra Beach, but I'm not sure if I could afford a 4-br home there. And I just noticed that there's not a direct route from the west side of the St. Johns River on I-295 to either Ponte Vedra Beach or Jax Beach. making it a much longer drive. Why is that area directly west of Ponte Vedra Beach undeveloped anyway? (See attachment).

And I sure wish there was another bridge across the St. Johns River in between the other two existing bridges.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Jax - nice place to live vs. work commute?-jax-area-undeveloped.jpg  

Old 06-15-2019, 07:25 AM

486 posts, read 516,306 times
That empty area is about to become E-Town... a huge new development by the people who made Nocatee.

For your work location, price, and desire to be in a good area, I would think northern St Johns county(Fruit Cove, Julington Creek, CR210 area), Bartram Park, or Mandarin are your best bets.

Do you have kids in school? If so, St Johns has the best schools by far. All of this area is close to 295 and will give you a pretty quick commute.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:31 PM

661 posts, read 866,916 times
bit of a commute if you want to be close to beaches etc....this area here (link below) is close to beaches and shopping and a pretty decent neighborhood. I had a house built here 16+ years ago so it holds a special place. It's not what it used to be but it's still a decent neighborhood. The commute will be 45 minutes each way to work if your work hours are in the 9-5 range. Lots of congestion but that's the norm if you want to be close to beach but work on the westside. As you stated, it would be tougher to find something in Ponte Vedra, Nocatee, St Johns area in that price.

4BR pool home here in what is known as east arlington.

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Jacksonvil.../home/72799203

Old 06-16-2019, 07:05 PM

661 posts, read 866,916 times
here's another nice place. This is a great area. Price is under 3 but there might be fees beyond the HOA (like CDD fees). If you have kids, this is much better than the area I posted above. Also a bit easier commute but still somewhat of a grind.

https://www.redfin.com/FL/St-Johns/2.../home/62426063

Old 06-18-2019, 04:32 PM

75 posts, read 175,221 times
i would suggest anywhere off of atlantic and kernan area. alot of newer 2019 homes starting less than 300k. zip code 32225

Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I would love to live in Jacksonville Beach or Ponte Vedra Beach, but I'm not sure if I could afford a 4-br home there. And I just noticed that there's not a direct route from the west side of the St. Johns River on I-295 to either Ponte Vedra Beach or Jax Beach. making it a much longer drive. Why is that area directly west of Ponte Vedra Beach undeveloped anyway? (See attachment).

And I sure wish there was another bridge across the St. Johns River in between the other two existing bridges.
Where your job is located and living at the beach would be a daily commuting nightmare from Hell. You should seriously consider staying on the west side of the St. Johns, as 17 is one of the most unpleasant drives there is, and there is a wreck on the Buchman bridge almost daily.

Just my advice, take it for what it's worth.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville