Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:30 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Karla has posted a great thread about an upcoming plant sale at the Mandarin Garden Club. I don't want to hijack her thread, so have started this one.

There was a fairly lengthy article about the Mandarin Garden Club and water conservation in the Mandarin Sun section of the TU on Saturday. MyMandarinSun.com: Crackdown on water usage is turning serious

I am going to call the Club to get ideas on what to plant in an area that has been stripped bare along the beltway, as well as about conserving water in our neighborhood. Had yet another argument last week with our lawn service guy who told me again that he has disabled our rain sensors (even though he has been told to turn them ON) and insists that "everyone in the business" will tell me that rain gauges do not work.

How have others addressed the issue of irrigation modifications to conserve water? And are there any success stories on getting away from the carpet of water-guzzling sod? How do you ease those who would have perfectly manicured, "every blade of grass 3.5 inches" yards into the concept of Florida friendly?

How do you get folks to warm up to Xeriscaping? In the minds of many, it means ugly and bare, but that is not always the case. How can we begin to make converts?

FYI...I have an "every blade of grass 3.5 inches" yard, dark and lush green, and for the record, I have No, that's right NO, irrigation system and I do not water ever. I leave it to mother nature to water it. The only time I water is in the spring, in which case I saturate the yard once a week for about 3 weeks, and that's it. Once the heat is here and kicking, the yard requires no maintenance other than cutting. I drive my neighbors crazy who water every day, fertilize every month, and then still end up replacing a bunch of sod every year. I keep telling them they are overdoing it, but I can't help but laugh while I sip my cold beer and watch them lay sod over and over again. What irks me is when I take my morning walk and see sprinklers running after it just poured down all night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 AM

604 posts, read 4,622,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post

Those mulches that are made from recycled tires you need to be careful if you have dogs because should they eat it it isn't good for them
Also the rubber can retain too much heat and "cook " your plant roots
when it's hot and sunny out you can smell them 3 houses away too!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
FYI...I have an "every blade of grass 3.5 inches" yard, dark and lush green, and for the record, I have No, that's right NO, irrigation system and I do not water ever. I leave it to mother nature to water it. The only time I water is in the spring, in which case I saturate the yard once a week for about 3 weeks, and that's it. Once the heat is here and kicking, the yard requires no maintenance other than cutting. I drive my neighbors crazy who water every day, fertilize every month, and then still end up replacing a bunch of sod every year. I keep telling them they are overdoing it, but I can't help but laugh while I sip my cold beer and watch them lay sod over and over again. What irks me is when I take my morning walk and see sprinklers running after it just poured down all night.
So, you don't fertilize and don't treat for weeds? Do you have any weeds? Ever? What turf do you have?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:

show off... JK. Is the length what makes it so maintenance-free? Do you have St. Augustine?

I've cut off the fertilizing and weed treatment from my HOA's lawn company. I will do that myself, as I think they just apply it whether it needs it or not.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
So, you don't fertilize and don't treat for weeds? Do you have any weeds? Ever? What turf do you have?
I have 2 different kinds of St. Augustine. One I got at a landscape supplier which is a specific variety tolerant of the heat. I did another small section of the yard with plugs purchased from Home Depot. The plug section is a shorter St. Augustine and does have a small problem getting thick enough to keep the weeds at bay. But the better stuff is taking over little by little so I just pull the weeds by hand.
And yes, the low maintenence comes from cutting the grass as high as you can set the lawn mower. It helps the blades to shade each other and keep them from burning up, as well as choke out the weeds. It kills me when I see these yards where people thing they are cutting Kentucky bluegrass from up north somewhere and try to cut the St. Augustine about 1/2" tall. It'll burn it up every time. Raise you mowers and lower your water bill.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Thanks for the tips, SS! I'd give ya rep, but apparently I need to spread the love a little more. haha!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:35 AM

859 posts, read 3,618,531 times
Quote:
I have 2 different kinds of St. Augustine. One I got at a landscape supplier which is a specific variety tolerant of the heat. I did another small section of the yard with plugs purchased from Home Depot. The plug section is a shorter St. Augustine and does have a small problem getting thick enough to keep the weeds at bay. But the better stuff is taking over little by little so I just pull the weeds by hand.
And yes, the low maintenence comes from cutting the grass as high as you can set the lawn mower. It helps the blades to shade each other and keep them from burning up, as well as choke out the weeds. It kills me when I see these yards where people thing they are cutting Kentucky bluegrass from up north somewhere and try to cut the St. Augustine about 1/2" tall. It'll burn it up every time. Raise you mowers and lower your water bill.
Where did you get the other type of St Augustine that is more heat tolerant. And how much are they?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:18 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
I get my sod from Register Sod right off of beach near Sams Club & the Post Office

Also what Shaken said
you should be mowing your St Aug at the highest setting your mower has
Also if it has been awhile sharpen or replace the mower blades to get a cleaner cut

Old 07-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
Where did you get the other type of St Augustine that is more heat tolerant. And how much are they?
I can't remember the name of the place, but it is off of Phillips Highway close to the Avenues Mall. I was told they sell the best sod in town and I would have to agree considering how my yard has done for years now. I know they have a bunch of piles of mulch out by the road and that's all I can remember.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmt View Post
First off, I think it's funny that here in the South we grow what in the north is considered a family of crab-grass.

Secondly, have any of you thought about rain water collecting or a cistern/well to run your sprinklers from? I know here in the Arlington area of Jax, I hit water about two feet below ground while digging holes for my fence posts. That will be one of my projects soon. I was also thinking of supplementing it with a rain catching system that I could water the plant around the house with.

About the pine straw, I have a good friend that purchased rubber pine straw that will not need to be replaced every year. It is made from recycled tires, so still a green product!
I had thought about catching rain water however the rain barrels would have to ALL be in my backyard and not visable from the road or other peoples backyards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville