Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 PM

26 posts, read 71,230 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need your advise seriously. My future is on the line. I am moving and my company is located in San antonio and jaksonville. I have never been to either place however I did live in West Palm Beach and was in hurricane Jeanie, francis and wilma. That scared the cr_p out of me. I now have decision to make and am not sure which is the best choice. I am afraid of what is said about Texas but also concerned about the high cost of home owners ins , hurricanes and alligators all over again. The bug situation was also a problem, I have dogs and horses. So can someone please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 AM

4 posts, read 11,108 times
We moved from San Antonio to Jacksonville for a job just over a year ago. San Antonio was very family orientated, great shopping (unlike Jacksonville, San Antonio has a Macy's and a Nordstrom) and don't get me started on the amazing food and culture.

Since moving to Jacksonville we find that it is more humid here and there are a lot more bugs but both places are nice.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 AM

541 posts, read 2,287,014 times
I have not seen any Alligators here in Jax. I saw numerous in South Florida though.

I think the alligators moved south for a good italian deli they heard about. Couldn't find a decent one here in Jax. Crazy alligators

Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I have not seen any Alligators here in Jax. I saw numerous in South Florida though.

I think the alligators moved south for a good italian deli they heard about. Couldn't find a decent one here in Jax. Crazy alligators
I am sure that there are gators in parts of Duval, we have many here in PVB, and I don't think the gators understand county borders, if the gators want an italian dinner all they need to do is seek you out

Old 04-23-2008, 08:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
Having horses might help you decide. In Jax, unless you either luck out or have a large budget, it can be hard finding enough acreage for horses in the more populated areas.

So for acreage, you then have to move to the outskirts of Jax or out of the county...doing so could add significantly to your commute and in some cases the culture can change quite a bit from what you find in the more populated parts (if you're a big Lynyrd Skynyrd fan, it won't be a problem ).

Gators are around, but in the populated areas they tend to be small if they're even seen at all. I would not advise walking your dogs close to the water's edge of lakes and retention ponds, but other than that, there are no real concerns.

Homeowner's insurance does not have to be high if you choose your home and location carefully....I think the greater concern is getting the coverage, not the cost (North Florida is not like South Florida with the cost of insurance).

Jacksonville is not like West Palm, we're more like Savannah than West Palm, so your visuals of alligators and bugs and hurricanes and homeowner's insurance do not apply to Jax in the same way as West Palm.

That being said, one of my friends moved from Jacksonville to San Antonio and he loves San Antonio and has no plans of moving back to Jax! He loves the food and the culture there and the low cost of housing (cheaper than Jax).

I personally will never leave the East Coast again, so my vote is for Jax!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post

I have never seen bugs in my house here in South FL. I think they got tired of the taxes and the rude people and moved to Charlotte .

Hey, I have yet to find an exceptional slice of pizza down here (found one in Orlando though, go figure) and also yet to find an exceptional bagel (found one in Tampa, go figure).

Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 PM

870 posts, read 2,181,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell4655 View Post
=I am afraid of what is said about Texas

What is said about Texas? I lived in the Dallas area for 7 years and enjoyed it. I have never been to San Antonia, but I hear it is one of the prettiest cities in the state. (Austin is the other.) I remember Dallas as being very windy...the wind blew all of the time. I don't know if the entire state is that way or not. On all of my video tapes (of the children), you can hear the wind whooshing if we were taping outside.

My husband did not want to stay in Texas, which is why we moved, but if it had been up to me, I would have stayed. And, I LOVE Jacksonville (now that I'm here).

I think you will enjoy both cities.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 AM

541 posts, read 2,287,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
I am sure that there are gators in parts of Duval, we have many here in PVB, and I don't think the gators understand county borders, if the gators want an italian dinner all they need to do is seek you out
I think the alligators were seeking Italian food....not Italian people for a meal. Although, either way south florida has more of each !

Old 04-24-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
What is said about Texas? I lived in the Dallas area for 7 years and enjoyed it. I have never been to San Antonia, but I hear it is one of the prettiest cities in the state. (Austin is the other.) I remember Dallas as being very windy...the wind blew all of the time. I don't know if the entire state is that way or not. On all of my video tapes (of the children), you can hear the wind whooshing if we were taping outside.

My husband did not want to stay in Texas, which is why we moved, but if it had been up to me, I would have stayed. And, I LOVE Jacksonville (now that I'm here).

I think you will enjoy both cities.
wHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT IT SO MUCH? WOULD YOU GO BACK TO TEXAS AND WHY? HOW AR THE PEOPLE SPECIFICALLY THE TEXANS VS JACKSONIANS. ARE THEY REDNECKS IN TEXAS OR I JACKS? IT THERE A LOT OF CLASSY FOLKS ?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbymuffin View Post
We moved from San Antonio to Jacksonville for a job just over a year ago. San Antonio was very family orientated, great shopping (unlike Jacksonville, San Antonio has a Macy's and a Nordstrom) and don't get me started on the amazing food and culture.

Since moving to Jacksonville we find that it is more humid here and there are a lot more bugs but both places are nice.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
so where do you shop? how are the beaches - none in texas. are the people just as nice in jacksonville as san antonio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville