Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:11 PM

12 posts, read 82,784 times

Advertisements

I need help. I am moving to florida in march. We found a beautiful home in Jacksonville on east 12th st.32206. I have a friend who lives in Arlington and he says I should reconsider my location. Something about not going over the Matthews bridge. Can someone please help me out here. I do not want to live in a bad area I have 5 children and we live in staten island ny...suburbs of nyc. My children will not be use to anything different. Although my husband is from spanish harlem born and raised but has lived in staten island for 17 years. I on the other hand have lived here all my life. Don't get me wrong I love the city life but after awhile I miss the quiteness of staten island. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 04:15 PM

60 posts, read 258,014 times
Hello,

That area is refered to as Springfield. It is under a huge renovation at the moment. But the crime can be a bit scary at times (murders, home invasions) and if you have children you may want to reconsider your location.
I can recommend a few areas. Arlington is nice...but East Arlington is nicer, Southside is newer and more safe than other areas of the city, NW Jax- stay away!!, Northside area (ie Oceanway area) is growing and gaining lots of newer homes. Fort Caroline area is just over the Matthews Bridge and a much nicer area.

I guess it all depends on what you can afford and what you are used to....

Keep your eyes on the news and visit that area where the home is....
I moved to FL 3.5 yrs ago from Rochester NY and miss certain things about NY a ton!!! FL is a huge change....

Old 12-30-2006, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 77,131 times
yep, stay away from anything in 32206...it's "up and coming" but i wouldn't live there with kids just yet, too iffy--too much crime...if you like big, old houses like springfield try the riverside area (32204)...it's close to downtown, has lots of character (funky shops and good restaurants), and is still safe and affordable...i live in avondale which is right next to riverside and also has the charm and the old houses (32205)..but if you want more modern suburbia then try mandarin (32257, 32258, 32223) or east arlington (32225, 32224)

all depends on what you're looking for and your taste of course...hope this helps

Old 12-30-2006, 08:35 PM

It's really hard because the house I found is a beautiful newer home and I just love it. But dare I say I am really afraid of making such a big change as to move from NYC to Florida and then on top of that being afraid of the location I pick. Will it provide a decent enviroment for my children? As for me I can adjust. This move is for the kids to be happy and even though we're from NY, let's just say my kids have been very protected from alot of things. I want them to enjoy the change not hate me for it. Thanks so much for your help. If any one has any more input. It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:51 PM

How about Paxon, Brent wood/evergreen?

Old 12-31-2006, 01:53 PM

I am going to recommend that you read about the different areas on here before making any final decisions...

http://www.jacksonville.com/discover/2005/communities/index.shtml (broken link)

Have you visited here yet? How many times? Have you driven around these areas you are looking at? I am going to make a suggestion....before you buy a home or rent anything, take a trip to the grocery store in the area you will be living in. Look real good at the people there shopping...and ask yourself a question...are these the people that you would be ok with having as neighbors? This is an easy indicator to see what the area and people are really like, without going door to door and asking!

Jacksonville is very different and diverse in every area...some areas are nicer than others, some may be more comfortable for you than others. This is a huge move. Before we purchased our home in the Southside area we rented an apartment for 6 months in Mandarin because we thought that was where we wanted to be. It turned out it was not. We were happy that we were able to quickly move after that 6 months to an area we really felt comfortable in.

I HIGHLY recommend renting first in the area that you "think" you want to be...then take it from there.

I wish you the best!!

Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,935 times
I highly recommend staying AWAY from that area and surrounding areas. I would never even drive my kids over there, much less get out of the car. There a certain areas we just dont go. Too much crime, when you hear about all the murders and crime in Jacksonville, its mostly over in that general area.

It would help us if you would post your price range and what type things you are looking for and we can help guide you to better areas. Its hard moving to a new area without knowing where to look.

Daisies

Old 01-04-2007, 06:55 PM

My husband I have been saving for a long time and our price range is between 70,000 and 90,000 cash. We do not want a mortgage at all!!! We have 5 children to raise and after years of high rents from 1200 - 2000 dollars a month we finally have decided to just throw in the towel. Iam looking for 3 to 4 bedrooms, nice sized yard... you know just a nice home. I have spoken to several agents that say, Oh, just put down 50,000 and mortgage the rest. Nope will not do. It's hard enough to pay rent, car notes and raise 5 children. Going to Florida is for us to relax a bit and give our children a chance to enjoy the outside and nature. Yes I recently visited Florida last Nov. We drove down there. I have a friend who lives in Arlington, my grandmother lives in Interlachen, and I have a few friends in Tampa and Wesley Chapel. I know my friend in Arlington made it real clear not to cross over the Matthews bridge at all. But us being from NY, my husband from spanish harlem... He said how bad can it be. I say yeah we're New Yorkers no problem. Yeah right... I know they say don't believe everything you read in the paper but my stepson went over there on a vacation and said he couldn't believe half the things he saw and heard of while he was over there. I believe one woman was sleeping and never woke up... bullet went through her bedroom window and just like that she was gone. It sounds awful. I love Florida but Florida is weird how it's divided. Talk about back woods, where my grandmother lives in Interlachen Oh my God. Picture this I'm in Interlachen driving in a Scion XB with NY plates. The so call precint only has 2 cop cars.. So image how we drove him crazy wondering what the hell we were doing out there. Confeterate flags all over the place. I was just wondering why my grandma even went down there. Oh yeah cheap property nice mobile home. My husband dark skin hispanic and I am a very light skinned hispanic. Well we're lost on Rt. 301 at around 3:30 a.m. asked anyone who was around for directions everyone looked at us as though we had the plague. One woman comes out from behind a Subways, gave us directions and made it very clear to my husband that black people belong on the other side of the tracks. I said excuse me.. What are you talkin about. She said "honey if you ain't lighter than a pecan you black, now get on up out of here before the boys catch ya". I just caught on automatic visiual of AL Sharpton.. How in NY she would have been plastered all over the front page by morning. All I thought was how dare she talk to us like that. This is 2006 what is she crazy. This was Starke County. Funny thing about this story is that they looked at us funny, the way we talked, dressed everything. But the minute we spoke they looked as if they were lost in our fast talking NYer lingo and they loved it. Let's just say if I said Fabulous... They would be stuck on every syllabol of the word Fab-u-lous.(LMAO) Kind of stuck on stupid. I would never move there. They can give me 40 acres and 10 mules... No way, no how. The ATM machine was using dial up service. I felt lost. Then I went to Wesley Chapel ...loved it over there actually stayed 4 days. People so nice. but houses are very expensive. Jacksonville reminded me of Manhattan NY. I couls still get the feeling of home (NY) But in the South. I just want to be happy... That's all. But I rather live in the Bronx before I put up with nonsense in Jacksonville. Wesley Chapel is my first choice but I can't find anything in my price range. That's when I bumped into a gorgeous house in Jacksonville on E.12th st. Springfield and then I landed here. Go figure....HELP

Last edited by NycLatinRose; 01-04-2007 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-05-2007, 10:12 AM

how about college park/ Ribault area?

Old 01-05-2007, 06:00 PM

Wow...I have never thought of comparing J'ville to Manhattan...nothing alike at all!!!

Ok...5 children. All school aged I am guessing?? Please pick your area carefully. You really need to make sure they go to an "A" rated school to get a good education down here. I know how great the school system is up in NY...but it is 100% the opposite down here. There are many people who shell out $1,000's a year to send their kids to private school to get a good education here.

Oh yeah and don't forget to search for Sexual predators...dont want to live with your kids near any of these sickos either...

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/Search.jsp

A few suggestions now that I know our housing price range. Why not look up into the Fernandina Beach and Yulee area? You may be able to get a home in that price range (yes it would be a bit older) but it is safer and schools are a bit better.

Also, check out these links for school ratings....look up Duval, Nassau, Baker, Clay and St Johns...all area counties..and compare the differences. You want the link called School Grades are available in Excel format:
All Districts ( 986k )

http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/

Yes the violence and shootings are real. A young girl was killed in her bed while she read her book...a bullet came through the wall at her. Another kid playing video games, minding her own business, bullet though the wall. All of these are problems due to drugs, gangs etc...they were stray bullets not intended for the innocent.
Yes, crime here is scary. But if you pick a better area you will be further away from it. Please listen to your friend. Stay AWAY from anything on the other side of the Matthews Bridge. Unless you plan on living downtown in one of the nice ritzy condos, keep away.

Um Yeah Interlachen...Outback redneck area. All of FL is not like that (or I would not be here either, can't stand those people). Lucky for me growing up in NY I was exposed to all different kinds of people from all ethnic backgrounds. Prejudices are still VERY apparent in certain areas here in town...I see it all the time, there is no real escaping it. But to buy a home in an area cause you are not "afraid" of it, it is really not the answer...here is another good site for you. It shows what kind of crimes for each area...

http://maps2.coj.net/crimestatsdiscl.asp?sJAxGIS=Y (broken link)

Just click away on the map...check out the stats and make your informed decision.

As for College Park and Ribualt area..not sure. I stick to Southside, beaches and St Johns county.

Last edited by 4merWNYer; 01-05-2007 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville