Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 02:33 AM

1,094 posts, read 809,221 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville definitely has a bad reputation when it comes to crime. There are some pretty upscale areas in Jax, but most are on the Southside and Southwest sides. People from the northeast and the rust-belt cites find Jacksonville to be tame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 04:46 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
If you're so into different cultures and diversity, why do you need to know which areas to avoid?

Old 08-09-2021, 06:43 AM

183 posts, read 146,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
If you're so into different cultures and diversity, why do you need to know which areas to avoid?
Bingo! So OP...B'klyn Boy.....from Arizona...(huh?)...wants safe, watered down diversity without the nastiness that sometimes goes along with true, real diversity. I don't get that either. One can't help but wonder if they really want that or if they're virtue signaling?

Old 08-12-2021, 04:38 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I sometimes drive down rt 17 into the city from Yulee and once you pass over the Trout River things look pretty poor.
That is the neighborhood that I grew up in. Although it has been about 15 years since I was last there, it was very apparent how far that area had declined since my childhood there in the 1960s. A lot of buildings that had been occupied by small businesses were either boarded up or had been torn down. The house that was across the street from where I lived growing up was torn down years ago, and no one has seen fit to rebuild.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:34 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
For the 10 1/2 years we lived in Jacksonville, it was in an apartment complex just north of The Avenues Mall. When we first moved there, we talked to a JSO (Jacksonville Sheriffs Office) Motor Officer that told us that we lived in one of the much better parts of Jacksonville. That turned out to be quite right!

But, down around Baymeadows and I-95, it can get somewhat "rough looking". A few murders in that area when we lived there.

So, there are definitely areas in Jax to avoid, but where we lived, definitely not.

In some ways we really miss Jax, but love being back in Colorado more!

Old 10-25-2021, 07:49 AM

197 posts, read 154,125 times
We moved here in April, live on the southside area and love it! Theres so much to do right in Jacksonville, just always be aware of your surroundings, even "safe" cities have crime, we came from a tiny town in south Florida that was considered a safe town and lo and behold, there were still robbies and shootings....Ys, I know there is more crime here, but we are a large city and that is part of the game.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-14-2021 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:19 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remirosie123 View Post
We moved here in April, live on the southside area and love it! Theres so much to do right in Jacksonville, just always be aware of your surroundings, even "safe" cities have crime, we came from a tiny town in south Florida that was considered a safe town and lo and behold, there were still robbies and shootings....Ys, I know there is more crime here, but we are a large city and that is part of the game.
Southside is nice, but there sure are pockets in the Southside that have it's crime, like Baymeadows/I-95 and Baymeadows/Phillips Highway.

This is why we are glad we are retired and moved back to Colorado and a city of 82,000, not over 900,000. But, Jacksonville, like other big cities, have the jobs. So, to have a descent paying job, crime-high population-traffic come with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville