Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2022, 02:25 PM

319 posts, read 361,186 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to build soon and need recommendations for a new home construction inspector. Specifically I'd want someone well versed in house wrap, as SS has stressed the importance of this many times here in the group.

In my experience though I've found 'general inspectors' rather useless and opted to go without in my last two pre-existing home purchases. I opted to bring in a plumber and electrician instead, which I felt was the better way to go. However that worked back up north but doesn't address the housewrap question here in Florida.

That said, are there inspectors who specialize in certain aspects such as framing, slab, wrap, ect. I would rather bring someone in who is very well versed in certain areas, bring in a plumber and electrician and then do the 'general' inspection myself.

Thanks, NE40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 04:03 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
Getting ready to build soon and need recommendations for a new home construction inspector. Specifically I'd want someone well versed in house wrap, as SS has stressed the importance of this many times here in the group.

In my experience though I've found 'general inspectors' rather useless and opted to go without in my last two pre-existing home purchases. I opted to bring in a plumber and electrician instead, which I felt was the better way to go. However that worked back up north but doesn't address the housewrap question here in Florida.

That said, are there inspectors who specialize in certain aspects such as framing, slab, wrap, ect. I would rather bring someone in who is very well versed in certain areas, bring in a plumber and electrician and then do the 'general' inspection myself.

Thanks, NE40

Why not just hire a framer for the framing and wrap and an Engineer for the slab? I am not aware of any Inspector anywhere that specializes to that degree except for items such as EIFS/Stucco, mold, etc., and other problem materials.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:59 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Why not just hire a framer for the framing and wrap and an Engineer for the slab? I am not aware of any Inspector anywhere that specializes to that degree except for items such as EIFS/Stucco, mold, etc., and other problem materials.
Hiring a framer to do the wrap is like hiring a tile contractor to install your windows and doors. Framers in NE Florida haven't done housewrap in 20 years, and there's a reason for it.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks, NE40
This company provides 3rd party inspection services to some home builders. They may not do individual home buyer inspections, but I'm betting they can refer you to somebody who can help:

https://e3buildingsciences.com/services/

Old 06-07-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
This company provides 3rd party inspection services to some home builders. They may not do individual home buyer inspections, but I'm betting they can refer you to somebody who can help:

https://e3buildingsciences.com/services/

Interesting concept to seek assistance/services from the same businesses that perform 3rd party inspections for the Builders. These companies are the same ones that rely on Builder contracts for their survival. That's pretty much akin to the fox guarding the hen house analogy.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Interesting concept to seek assistance/services from the same businesses that perform 3rd party inspections for the Builders. These companies are the same ones that rely on Builder contracts for their survival. That's pretty much akin to the fox guarding the hen house analogy.
Having direct experience with the company and the tough standards they apply to their 3rd party inspection services, I was attempting to assist the poster in finding someone, which is tough in today's market.

Your contribution would be much more helpful if you could try and do the same. Did you have a recommendation or are snide remarks from behind your computer all you are good at?

Old 06-09-2022, 02:29 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding but I have been out inspecting new construction after the Builder's 3rd Party QC Inspector (a very large firm) was out there. Now I get to create a large report with all of the significant items the Builder's 3rd Party Inspection company apparently failed to find/report on. And that is why I would never refer any 3rd party inspection firm that makes their coin from large Builder inspection contracts regardless how reputable they may seem. Nor would I ever refer a client to those companies to clients for advice on anything including a lead to a supposedly independent Inspector for their work! That's no different than buying a used car and asking the dealer who a good mechanic is to inspect it before you buy it! What you have in that case is referring the client to the fox that guards their hen house.

Quote:
Having direct experience with the company and the tough standards they apply to their 3rd party inspection services, I was attempting to assist the poster in finding someone, which is tough in today's market.

What happened to BiltRite an apparent independent inspection company or any others you might be aware of? Did they go down the tubes already since February? The OP is looking for an Inspector and even you have advised that the company you recommended most likely would not do it anyhow.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62834300-post11.html

Quote:
I usually recommend Biltrite inspection company, but maybe some other posters could chime in with ones they've had good experience with?

Interesting that you recently posted how a lot of shoddy work is out there and how "a LOT of builders are now neck deep in construction defect lawsuits." (https://www.city-data.com/forum/62861308-post10.html). You also post a "a LOT" of defect pictures and generate posts displaying this. So how much of that is actually shoddy 3rd party inspection results? I've seen some of those reports, not only from 3rd party inspection companies but licensed Engineers as well, and can easily believe "a LOT" of the shoddy build work out there is linked to very poor inspections. So as for being "snide"

Quote:

Your contribution would be much more helpful if you could try and do the same. Did you have a recommendation or are snide remarks from behind your computer all you are good at?

As for being "snide remarks" those remarks come from "many times around the block" in my lifetime! We are decades past the time when you can go to a company in your recommended situation and believe you will be treated well. Money talks and so many companies out there have no allegiance to the specific consumer (even though that is who they serve) and instead they lay their allegiance with wherever they feel it will profit them most.

It certainly is "tough in today's market" to find a good Inspector. Of course we could educate the OP on Florida laws specifically the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulations services and resources. For example we could educate the OP that They can seek a licensed Home Inspector that is also licensed as a "General Contractor", "Building Contractor", or "Residential Contractor". That may help them find a person with the specific experience they need. DBPR also has a related license search and since they license both Home Inspectors and Contractors it would be easy to crosscheck the licenses. At least this way they can be assured that the Home Inspector they choose also has licensed Contractor experience.

Of course we can do a lot of things to help this OP or you can continue to take shots at me for whatever your reasoning is.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in responding but I have been out inspecting new construction after the Builder's 3rd Party QC Inspector (a very large firm) was out there. Now I get to create a large report with all of the significant items the Builder's 3rd Party Inspection company apparently failed to find/report on. And that is why I would never refer any 3rd party inspection firm that makes their coin from large Builder inspection contracts regardless how reputable they may seem. Nor would I ever refer a client to those companies to clients for advice on anything including a lead to a supposedly independent Inspector for their work! That's no different than buying a used car and asking the dealer who a good mechanic is to inspect it before you buy it! What you have in that case is referring the client to the fox that guards their hen house.

What happened to BiltRite an apparent independent inspection company or any others you might be aware of? Did they go down the tubes already since February? The OP is looking for an Inspector and even you have advised that the company you recommended most likely would not do it anyhow.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62834300-post11.html

Interesting that you recently posted how a lot of shoddy work is out there and how "a LOT of builders are now neck deep in construction defect lawsuits." (https://www.city-data.com/forum/62861308-post10.html). You also post a "a LOT" of defect pictures and generate posts displaying this. So how much of that is actually shoddy 3rd party inspection results? I've seen some of those reports, not only from 3rd party inspection companies but licensed Engineers as well, and can easily believe "a LOT" of the shoddy build work out there is linked to very poor inspections. So as for being "snide"

As for being "snide remarks" those remarks come from "many times around the block" in my lifetime! We are decades past the time when you can go to a company in your recommended situation and believe you will be treated well. Money talks and so many companies out there have no allegiance to the specific consumer (even though that is who they serve) and instead they lay their allegiance with wherever they feel it will profit them most.

It certainly is "tough in today's market" to find a good Inspector. Of course we could educate the OP on Florida laws specifically the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulations services and resources. For example we could educate the OP that They can seek a licensed Home Inspector that is also licensed as a "General Contractor", "Building Contractor", or "Residential Contractor". That may help them find a person with the specific experience they need. DBPR also has a related license search and since they license both Home Inspectors and Contractors it would be easy to crosscheck the licenses. At least this way they can be assured that the Home Inspector they choose also has licensed Contractor experience.

Of course we can do a lot of things to help this OP or you can continue to take shots at me for whatever your reasoning is.
That was a long response. I'm just gonna wait for the audio book to come out.

Now, we can continue to help this poster AND take shots at each other. That seems more fun!

That said, I quit recommending BiltRite after I started getting some negative feedback from posters on here. Hopefully one of them can chime in with someone they had a good experience with.

Old 06-11-2022, 02:22 PM

319 posts, read 361,186 times
Just came across this recently. What is the significance of the designation 'Certified Master Inspector'.

https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/

Old 06-12-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Just came across this recently. What is the significance of the designation 'Certified Master Inspector'.

https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/

For that you should closely read the application page at https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/become-a-cmi . Also follow the links on that page and read them closely. From that I am sure you will make an informed answer to your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville