Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 11:06 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Respectfully, they weren't trying to 'overthrow the government'.. they were trying to withdraw from it.
Indeed

A lot of people forget that the Founding Fathers were against slavery, but knew they could never form the union of states by making it illegal overnight. They also feared a civil war would erupt if it was attempted too soon.
Needless to say that is exactly what happened, so as usual they were much wiser than some today give them credit for.

Heck the southern states were ready to bolt from the union if Republican John Fremont had won over James Buchanan, because as we know, the Democrats were the ones who supported slavery, and it was the Republicans who opposed it.
Ever wonder what the term "yellow dog Democrat" means?
Simple, the slave owning Democrats of the south said "they would rather vote for a yellow dog, rather than Republicans, who brought the scourge of carpet baggers upon them".

Hopefully the OP will be back to answer and comment on some of the replies we have posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 02:14 PM

332 posts, read 218,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
If you're in search of streets to be offended by, start by looking in your own backyard.
You and your SJWs can head over to Confederate Dr just 5 miles east of Kent.
Not surprised. The NE and NW parts of Connecticut are rural and filled with rednecks who seem to think they live in the south.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
"Any reasonable person"
So if someone is not offended by it, they are not reasonable.

Aside from various aspects of CT that you love, do you'll up there take pride in having one of the greatest schools (Yale) in the country?
We're very proud to be the home of Yale. Our public schools are some of the best in the country as well.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecticutSir View Post
We're very proud to be the home of Yale. Our public schools are some of the best in the country as well.
I suspected as much, and would feel the same way about Yale if I lived in CT.

Question: Has anyone made any attempts to rename this blatant tribute to a man involved in slave trading?

Old 04-30-2022, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I suspected as much, and would feel the same way about Yale if I lived in CT.

Question: Has anyone made any attempts to rename this blatant tribute to a man involved in slave trading?
Yes there have been. Activists in CT have had lots of symbols of slavery removed. For example, on the Waterbury town green there was a whipping post where slaves used to be publicly whipped. That whipping post was removed just a few years ago and apparently put in a museum.

Old 05-01-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yes there have been. Activists in CT have had lots of symbols of slavery removed. For example, on the Waterbury town green there was a whipping post where slaves used to be publicly whipped. That whipping post was removed just a few years ago and apparently put in a museum.
We both know there are multiple examples of such things, and to erase or even rewrite history is Orwellian.

You are worrying about a road name in Jacksonville, when the institution you are so proud of keeps it name. Frankly it does not bother me, but then again I keep things in historical context.

There are groups who try to keep the memory of their confederate ancestors alive, such as the Daughters of the Confederacy, and it does not bother me.
Both Bill Clinton and Hillary have praised them, and those were some of the people Trump was referring to in Charlottesville, when he said there were good and bad people on both sides.
Naturally Trump was vilified, but the Clintons were unscathed.

Regardless, we have so many other real problems in this world, it is amazing people want to get "triggered" over "microaggressions", and then become SJW's, to try and change things they don't like.
That is especially true of people from other parts of the country who want to change mascots, road names, awards, school names etc.
Yet many of those same people live in glass houses, not wanting to rock the boat for things they support.

Thus my OP friend, how about you get Yale's name changed in CT, before you start worrying about a roads name in FL.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
If you're in search of streets to be offended by, start by looking in your own backyard.
You and your SJWs can head over to Confederate Dr just 5 miles east of Kent.
Don't give them any reason to find something else to be offended by.
Heck that road in the OP's backyard might not even have anything to do with the confederacy of the south, but a SJW wont care. They must act on their own emotions and try to feel good about themselves in the process.

In general I find that SJW types are malcontents by their very nature. I cannot imagine living a life like that, as I already find enough things to annoy me in these modern times.
If I went through life being offended on behalf of other people, or looking for minor offenses, even going so far to differentiate them with names like "microaggressions" and need safe spaces to gather myself, I would seek psychiatric help to get those demons out of my brain.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:24 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
I mean, any reasonable person would be offended by something in the year 2022 paying tribute to people who tried to overthrow the government resulting in the deaths of 620,000 Americans because they didn't want to stop enslaving people.
Stay Home. Save Lives. Vote. Make a plan.

Blah blah blah......

Reasonable people see your post for what it is, mindless internet noise that's of no use in our daily lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: