Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2022, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,910 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I recently moved to Jacksonville (St. John’s County) from NYC. We moved to Jax after tiring of NY lifestyle/mentality and liking weather, vibe of Jax despite not knowing anyone here. We moved into an apt community in St. John’s although many of the apts aren’t yet finished and the completed ones aren’t rented meaning not a ton of people living here currently. I’m going to be commuting back and forth to NY for work so there’ll be days when my wife will be alone (works remote) and given the apt complex isn’t full, other than the church she plans to join, I want to avoid her being lonely when I’m not there.

For those who moved to Jax from other cities, how did you find it the easiest to meet people. Her kids are grown so through school/PTA isn’t an option and she’s mid 50’s so bar scene by herself isn’t viable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions/feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 06:42 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
I don't live there, but I would suggest she join a group. Checkout meetup.com and browse groups. There are plenty of volunteering opportunities and non profits that need help. Fitness clubs biking/hiking/running groups around to meet others.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:03 AM

253 posts, read 190,433 times
You've answered your own question: She plans on joining a church. Let that pan out.

Remember, so many in St. John's Co. are transplants so she is not alone. Many people there I would bet are seeking to make connections as well.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:56 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Have her join a gym and sign up for the classes. Probably the fastest way to get to know people. I am not so sure about church, most people are there with their families, not certain that's a great place to meet people and establish relationships that go beyond the church walls.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
Since you're in St Johns, check out Creekside Christian Church. It's on Racetrack Rd, between St Johns Pkwy and the Durbin shopping area. We have 2 services on Sunday and there are life/family groups all over, so she/you will have plenty of chances to connect with others. I've been a member for 9+ years and I love it!

Old 11-23-2022, 04:10 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
pickleball...its easy, and she'll meet a lot of other 50+ people if she plays in the mornings after 8am, & upto 4pm.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:20 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
pickleball...its easy, and she'll meet a lot of other 50+ people if she plays in the mornings after 8am, & upto 4pm.
Oooh that's a great idea. I saw a 60 Minutes piece on the pickleball craze. It is really starting to spread.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:33 AM

116 posts, read 143,485 times
I moved here as a 41 yr old single woman knowing absolutely no one at all 3.5 years ago. I joined meetup groups (there are many that cater to women in this age group), went to business networking events, joined every activity that appealed to me, said yes to every invite, joined bumble - Bumble BFF is an app for women to meet platonic friends. Had a good group of friends in no time. I've found many folks here are transplants as well and in the same boat trying to make friends. There are also several facebook groups for women seeking friends - have her look up Jacksonville Ladies League, Jacksonville Ladies league over 45, that will lead to many others. There are some pretty active groups. There will always be something to do and people to meet with just a little effort.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:40 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukster99 View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife and I recently moved to Jacksonville (St. John’s County) from NYC. We moved to Jax after tiring of NY lifestyle/mentality and liking weather, vibe of Jax despite not knowing anyone here. We moved into an apt community in St. John’s although many of the apts aren’t yet finished and the completed ones aren’t rented meaning not a ton of people living here currently. I’m going to be commuting back and forth to NY for work so there’ll be days when my wife will be alone (works remote) and given the apt complex isn’t full, other than the church she plans to join, I want to avoid her being lonely when I’m not there.

For those who moved to Jax from other cities, how did you find it the easiest to meet people. Her kids are grown so through school/PTA isn’t an option and she’s mid 50’s so bar scene by herself isn’t viable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions/feedback.
I hear the Tinder app is great for meeting new people and keeping from being lonely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: