Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2022, 11:25 AM

253 posts, read 191,082 times

Advertisements

While Jacksonville has come a very, very long way in upping its culinary game, it seems to lag behind St. Augustine. Why? Because it's a more touristy town? Because it's smaller and the local community seems more interested and/or vested in local joints? Is the vibe there more conducive to people wanting to open restaurants?

So far I have found the pizza (Italian in general), burgers, seafood and even BBQ superior in St. John's Co. to anything I have had in Jax. I mean, I even travel to St. Simon's Island for a superior steak over anything in Jax. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 06:56 PM

5,213 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912904 View Post
While Jacksonville has come a very, very long way in upping its culinary game, it seems to lag behind St. Augustine. Why? Because it's a more touristy town? Because it's smaller and the local community seems more interested and/or vested in local joints? Is the vibe there more conducive to people wanting to open restaurants?

So far I have found the pizza (Italian in general), burgers, seafood and even BBQ superior in St. John's Co. to anything I have had in Jax. I mean, I even travel to St. Simon's Island for a superior steak over anything in Jax. What gives?
You have a very concentrated area in Saint Augustine that is heavily visited by tourists and that area has a wide selection for tourists as far as places to eat.

Jacksonville in comparison is wicked spread out being one of th largest cities in the US land wise but not population wise.

Now we have found some really great restaurants in Jacksonville but you are not going to find them in a shared area. They are all over the place and there are a lot of of them but you are going to have to travel to get to them.

Out urban core is a perfect example. We just don’t have a restaurant district. The closest thing to a central district like that is the Saint Johns Town Center but you are mostly going to find chain restaurants.

We have been here 33 years and we keep hoping we will see the birth of a vibrant downtown with a bar and restaurant district. We have a beautiful waterfront but downtown is like a ghost town.

Old 11-24-2022, 05:17 PM

253 posts, read 191,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We just don’t have a restaurant district.
One could say the Riverside-Five Points-Avondale-Murray Hill districts act as such.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:48 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
I don’t normally order chicken at restaurants but when I was at The Ice Plant a few years ago, they had run out of their steak special so I ordered the chicken.

One of the best chicken dinners I’ve ever had.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:01 AM

662 posts, read 868,220 times
I grew up in St Aug in the 90's. It has exploded in the dining scene since then. Back in the day, Saltwater Cowboys, Creekside, Gypsy Cab, Colombia etc were all the rage for dining choices. Colombia might still be there on the short list but so much has changed.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:01 PM

5,213 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
I grew up in St Aug in the 90's. It has exploded in the dining scene since then. Back in the day, Saltwater Cowboys, Creekside, Gypsy Cab, Colombia etc were all the rage for dining choices. Colombia might still be there on the short list but so much has changed.
Definitely agree with your comments and to add I had a good buddy that moved to Saint Augustine in the early 80’s. It was so dead back then, I can remember easily finding parking spots when we went downtown to Scarlett O Harahs. I also remember he proposed at the Gypsy Cab Co to his then girlfriend.

I am glad I got to experience the small coastal town it was back in the 80’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville