Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 04:59 PM

276 posts, read 1,135,984 times

Advertisements

America's Best Cities For The Outdoors
In Depth: America's Best Cities For The Outdoors - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 10:09 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Wow! Looking good!

#1 San Francisco
#2 San Diego
#3 San Jose
#4 Jacksonville

We're in good company!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:04 PM

65 posts, read 256,792 times
" San Diego, San Jose, Calif., Phoenix, Tampa, Fla., Austin, Texas, Las Vegas, and Virginia Beach, Va."

Really? I disagree with all of the above, especially Jax. I can't vouch for Virginia Beach, but I don't think I'd want to be outside in any of these places.

Give me North Carolina or Colorado. Or Oregon. Or Rhode Island. Or Maine.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toops View Post
" San Diego, San Jose, Calif., Phoenix, Tampa, Fla., Austin, Texas, Las Vegas, and Virginia Beach, Va."

Really? I disagree with all of the above, especially Jax. I can't vouch for Virginia Beach, but I don't think I'd want to be outside in any of these places.

Give me North Carolina or Colorado. Or Oregon. Or Rhode Island. Or Maine.
I am with you! They must mean outside in the winter, they listed all hot places where you need sunscreen!

Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
The rankings are correct based on their computer ranking system, but that computer has never lived in Jacksonville.

As a human being who does live in Jacksonville, I will make a few comments on this. Now, the beaches and water sports here make it good to get outdoors. And you can go out almost 365 days a year without a jackset on. But, growing up in the northeast, I would go exercise outside every day too. Nothing like running in the cold on a snowcovered path through the woods. Just layer up baby.

But I over and over again here this crap....oh Jacksonville has so many parks....blah blah blah. These parks are hidden and hard to find out about. Also, you have to drive probably 4 or 5 miles to the closest one. If you live on the southside and can walk to a park from your home or apartment without crossing a 4 or 6 lane road let me know.

I think it is pretty obvious that the park system is poorly integrated into the neighborhoods and is almost an afterthought. The strip malls, gated communities, condos, and 4 lane highways were built first....and then throwing in an obscure pocket park if federal funding comes along is second priority.

I also think it is hilarious how they literally build parks here. They cut down the trees or mow the fields and then build a pond, bring in palm trees, picnic tables, speed bumps, grass, and then put up a sign. Wallah. 1 million dollars later you have yourself a park. Can't they just put walking trails through the existing woods/landscape like the rest of the country?

Also, just another note. The grass here makes it very difficult to go outside and lounge around in the grass. It is like walking on spikes. Not soft like the northeast or midwest. Also, about double the bugs.

So unless you want to spend everyday at the beach or own a boat, the outdoor life here sucks compared to the northeast or midwest. Sucks.

Last edited by vdecapio; 06-01-2008 at 12:17 PM..

Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
Of course not everyone will agree, but to wind on like some spoiled child who wants candy before dinner is really sad. If you hated so, then get to packing I'll be happy to help you. Give me Florida any day over the North or Midwest,have been to all those places and would not want to live there thats me I have nothing negative to say about the places mention above(NC Oregon,Maine),but I will say this if those places are so great why are people not flocking to them like they are Florida and other places. Florida does and Jax has natural parks if people spent the same amount time doing some research as they do complainning they would know this. Hit the road Jack and dont ya come back!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:09 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-n-Jax View Post
Of course not everyone will agree, but to wind on like some spoiled child who wants candy before dinner is really sad. If you hated so, then get to packing I'll be happy to help you. Give me Florida any day over the North or Midwest,have been to all those places and would not want to live there thats me I have nothing negative to say about the places mention above(NC Oregon,Maine),but I will say this if those places are so great why are people not flocking to them like they are Florida and other places. Florida does and Jax has natural parks if people spent the same amount time doing some research as they do complainning they would know this. Hit the road Jack and dont ya come back!
I think that is part of the problem, you have to research to find parks. But I guess that is the down fall of such a large spread out city.

Last edited by apanda; 06-01-2008 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 PM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-n-Jax View Post
I recently read that the flux in and the flux out is equal in Jacksonville. No net growth. There was some increase due to net births over deaths.....but in terms of relocation....there was no net growth for 07.

I will be leaving Keith....be patient. It will be sad though. I will miss the days of living within a 5 mile radius for basic necessities, a 20 mile radius for beyond basic necessities, and a 3 hour plane ride for city amenities. I have really fallen in love with this unnecessarily sprawled out, non progressive small town.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
vdecapio, you are so predictable. In your eagerness to jump all over a report that says something favorable about Jacksonville, you are overlooking the fact that this is NOT a report just about parks.

Yeah, I agree that parks is not the first thing you think of when you say "jacksonville". But the report is based on a bunch of different criteria. Where Jacksonville lacks in terms of parkland, it makes it up in different areas. The criteria has different scores and a report will rank a city according to an aggregate score. You and I may not agree with every score or every criterion but that is the report. I'm with you on the parks.

Spending Per Resident: $64
Park Land As Percentage Of City Land: 19.2%
Forbes.com Recreation Index Rank: No. 7
Average Annual Percentage Of Sunny Days: 63%
Days With Temperature 90 Degrees Or Higher: 80
Days With Temperature 32 Degrees Or Lower: 15
Days With Measurable Precipitation (0.01 Inches Or More): 110
Days With Unhealthy Air Quality: 1.3

I'll give you credit for one thing, though. When it comes to this city you are consistent. Unfortunately (or fortunately) we all know what you are going to say before you say it.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:44 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
I think that is part of the problem, you have to research to find parks. But I guess that is the down fall of such a large spread out city.
d'oh, what do you mean I have to actually find places to do my recreation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville