Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 23,045 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility that I will be attending UNF... I have never been to Jacksonville. I have heard that it is not very safe. I know every city has its good and bad. What is the real deal with Jacksonville?? What is the cost of living? What is the nightlife like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 03:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
The area around the University of North Florida is positively without a doubt very safe.With all of the road construction there doing in and around that area ,traffic is sometimes a hassle depending on the time of the day.

Jacksonville is a very spread out area a consolidated city,quite industrious blue-collar in nature type of town. The cost of living is quite high commensurate to the salaries and wages that companies pay. This city is growing at a pretty decent pace and will continue with all of the space that it has to expand.

As far as nightlife there is quite a bit at Jax Beach where there are quite a few places to go to without traveling too far to each one of them.In the City of Jacksonville that is a different story,the Regency area around the mall there are a lot of places to go for dinner,movie etc.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
Jacksonville is no dangerous than most other cities, always be aware of your surroundings,hang with the right people and U should be ok.Jax is more laid back than most Florida cities. There's no thing such as a safe place in today's society,more like a safer place maybe,,crime can happen anywhere and at anytime and in any city. I live on the westside and feel safe in my area,but I am always aware of my surroundings. Make sure you check the Landing out downtown and walk along the riverwalk,we have some decent parks and there are a few places to have a drink or two if thats your thing,,,welcome,,,

Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
Jacksonville is: A Tranquilizer

Safety: I heard of nightly robberies of students walking from their cars to their apartments at the Silver Spring Apartments. Avoid those. Lots of safe surburan areas elsewhere though. I wouldn't let safety keep you from coming.

Cost of Living: Dirt cheap.

Nightlife: Well, I don't think UNF itself would have much. Very little student housing on campus. Certainly a commuter school. I could name hundreds of other schools throughout this country which have a campus nightlife. UNF is not one of those. UNF is mostly for Jax residents and the nightlife I assume reflects as such. Nightlife will be away from campus....at house parties, the beach, etc. Hope you will have a car.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:58 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
I went to UNF for 6 weeks because jville sucks. The campus is across the street from a mega mall. The only thing to do was house/apt parties or the beach Campus security, police, RAs are insanely strict and are on the prowl hardcore during the night.

Are you in the special ed/summer program? If so do not take jazz.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 PM

65 posts, read 256,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
Certainly a commuter school.
Which is how they make money.

I'd visit first and see if you like it. UNF is a pretty good school, albeit all the administrative troubles they've given me. The campus is safe, yes, some kids have gotten robbed, etc & so forth, show me a campus where this hasn't happened.

I do believe it's a dry campus (as far as housing is concerned), because there are always reports of kids being busted with booze in the "crime" section of the "school newspaper" (and I use that title loosely, ours could use much improvement).

In the way of free entertainment, UNF offers its share. They have free movies once a week or so (they showed 300 a while ago and apparently it was a big deal, all the manly men had to glorify their manly movie) and other various campus activities like concerts, comedians, lectures, club things and such.

If you're going to live off campus, do some research and find a decent apartment complex to live in. A safe, livable apartment will run you anywhere from $700 (shooting low) for a one bedroom to $1300 (shooting high) for a two bedroom, depending on what's included with that (e.g. some complexes offer the cable, internet and water in the rent).

If you like the beach and nightlife, I'd suggest living somewhere between UNF and there. You'll be able to commute to both easier and stay within a reasonable rate for an apartment.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:21 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I went to UNF for 6 weeks because jville sucks. The campus is across the street from a mega mall. The only thing to do was house/apt parties or the beach Campus security, police, RAs are insanely strict and are on the prowl hardcore during the night.

Are you in the special ed/summer program? If so do not take jazz.
I can't believe you could only take Jacksonville for 6 weeks!! Was it the lack of olives that sent you packing?

Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 21,521 times
Default don't go to UNF

Living in Jacksonville is like living in Mayberry RFD. The police are unsophisticated and out of control. Campus police are bullies. The classes are ok, but the school cares more about "protocol" than it's students. Last year they set up freshman through the dorm and cafe in a drug sting. Only freshman. They raided the dorm at 5 a.m with semi automatic weapons and dark masks -- because students were oooo smoking pot. They told the community that it was a drug ring. Yeah, 18 year old freshman in the dorm operating a drug ring. uh. no. All the kids who didn't turn in their friends were charged with felonies and kicked out of school and the dorm. Don't go to UNF and think about drinking or smoking in the dorm or doing anything that might cause the scary overweight UNF police to come get you.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 14,560 times
Default It's not that bad

UNF is OK...just be ready to spend a crap load of money on parking passes and tickets. I haven't met a single person who has gone unscathed from parking there. Also, the cops aren't that bad, just make sure not to go more than 7 over, don't drink/do drugs on campus if you even do that.

There's no social life at all on campus but they are building a new student life building out there which should be completed in a few months, so that'd be worth hanging out at. Construction is continual in Jacksonville, so get used to it.

Also, the drug ring that was busted up was a bunch of kids who bought from each other and smoked out in the dorms, and they were arrested by UNF Police, Jax Beach PD and the Sheriff's Office. Get your facts straight Linoleum.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getouttahere891 View Post
Also, the drug ring that was busted up was a bunch of kids who bought from each other and smoked out in the dorms, and they were arrested by UNF Police, Jax Beach PD and the Sheriff's Office. Get your facts straight Linoleum.
Isn't that pretty much what he said?? And whether you're smoking pot, cigarettes or drinking alcohol, you still gotta buy it, no? I guess because they purchased pot it was a "drug ring".

All I know is I can sleep safe at night knowing these dangerous criminals are behind bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: