Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 01:29 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,588 times

Advertisements

Hello JAX! I'd like to ask you for a little advice. My wife and I are in deep discussion about where to relocate to. Currently we're stuck in West MI. The unemployment, weather and taxes are bringing us down fast. We have lived in Virginia Beach before and are considering returing. However, housing costs have gone up so much we might not be able to do this. I believe JAX/VAB have much in common and I'd like to ask which do you prefer and why?

It would be great to hear from anyone who has lived in both areas. I see housing is less in JAX though crime is higher. Cost of living appears to be in JAX favor, but do RNs or auto mechanics (our professions) make less there? I believe JAX has a better zoo, but VAB is right by Busch Gardens. We have 3 children (7-13). We love ocean life, just worry about hurricanes. While VAB has a great oceanfront, I hear JAX Beach and others nearby are better. Can anyone say, from experience, which city has nicer residents?

Any other comparision would be great. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM

266 posts, read 852,895 times
Hi TNKY, afraid I don't have anything helpful to add but I am a fellow Michigander also hoping to get out! Being here sure is a bummer. It's looking highly possible that my husband may have a Jax job opportunity in the near future, so I've been surfing these boards for a while and have found tons of helpful advice from the locals.

Anyway, sorry I can't be helpful but I'm sure you'll get lots of straight advice soon. Just wanted to say hello from Miserable Michigan - I feel your pain!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 PM

96 posts, read 278,537 times
TNKY,

I lived in Newport News for 4 years and I've lived in Jacksonville for 8 years now and I love it. VA Beach isn't that bad but I think there is so much more to offer here. The cost of living, in my opinion, is more affordable and I have 2 children. Not to mention the options that are here for the family. I know Busch Gardens there in Williamsburg is ok but if you consider the amount of parks within a 3 hour drive from Jax, it doesn't stand a chance.

Weather here is more favorable...chances of snow & ice are almost 0 unless that's something you are looking for. I wish you luck with your choice, but I know that I will never move back up there unless my job forces me to.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 AM
TOC

36 posts, read 115,520 times
I am neither a resident of JAX or VAB, however I do vacation to each of them rather often...actually VAB not so much anymore.

I personally feel there is so much more to do in the JAX area. VAB area is ok in season but really drops off after the summer. I know some resort communities area nicer once the tourist season dies down, but VAB is really kind of boring.

My wife and I have actually crossed VAB off of our list of vacation spots recently. The only things that makes us want to go back are the few great mexican restaurants in VAB! We still visit VA annually, but now we only go to Williamsburg for the Howl-o-Scream at Busch Gardens (just went this past weekend and had a great time). Other than that, we pretty much have no desire to visit VA.

The JAX area, on the other hand, we have been visiting for years and still love it. I have gone in every season and have had a great time in each. We have been trying to figure out how to relocate there for a while now..its only a matter of time really. There is just so much more to do, the weather is amazing, its so laid back, the beaches are great, and your within close distance to tons of things.

As far as cost of living, I would not be able to tell you, however I do know that both are better than where I'm from in NJ!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 30,572 times
I've lived in both VaBch and Jax. Although they are quite similar, Jax has more to offer as far as affordable housing and job opportunities. VaBch is a lot more concentrated around the military than Jax.

Jax also has less concrete than VaBch, and better winters. VaBch in winter was always gray, drizzly, and freezing cold. Jax winters have more blue skies and brisk 40* weather.

If you live south of the city of Jax, more towards St Aug, you are out of the congestion, and that much closer to the attractions in Orlando. If you're used to the 1hr drive from VaBch to BG Wmsburg, you'll handle the drive to Orlando okay. Not as pretty, but easily do-able....

Old 10-22-2008, 06:10 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Hello JAX! I'd like to ask you for a little advice. My wife and I are in deep discussion about where to relocate to. Currently we're stuck in West MI. The unemployment, weather and taxes are bringing us down fast. We have lived in Virginia Beach before and are considering returing. However, housing costs have gone up so much we might not be able to do this. I believe JAX/VAB have much in common and I'd like to ask which do you prefer and why?

It would be great to hear from anyone who has lived in both areas. I see housing is less in JAX though crime is higher. Cost of living appears to be in JAX favor, but do RNs or auto mechanics (our professions) make less there? I believe JAX has a better zoo, but VAB is right by Busch Gardens. We have 3 children (7-13). We love ocean life, just worry about hurricanes. While VAB has a great oceanfront, I hear JAX Beach and others nearby are better. Can anyone say, from experience, which city has nicer residents?

Any other comparision would be great. Thanks in advance.
I have lived in both areas.

Jax area is close to Daytona (a popular tourist area), Amelia Island and St. Augustine. These are vacation hotspots that aren't far away. Disney and its affiliates are not too far away, either. There is a set of 2 outlet malls in St. Augustine. There are two mediocre outlet malls in Williamsburg.

Hurricanes are a concern for anyone and flooding is the major concern. However, both VA Beach and Jax are susceptible. I will leave it at that.

Regarding beaches, there are miles of wonderful beaches along the coast of Florida. They are not as crowded nor are they heavily commercialized.

If you want commercial beaches, then Myrtle Beach or VA beach is your style.

VA beach has high taxes (personal, property). FL has high property tax (no state income tax) but comparatively higher gas tax.

More hospitals are in the area of Jacksonville (Shands, Mayo, St Lukes, Baptist, Orange Park, St. Vincent's,Wolfson's Children's hospital, Memorial, Naval bases/clinics). There is ongoing expansion. I don't know the market of nurses.

Numerous hospitals are in VA / Hampton Roads (Sentara, Ches Gen, Norfolk Gen, Children's hospital).

Regarding FL, it has a higher inventory of houses and I believe you will get more for your money.

FL, in my opinion, has more Southern Hospitality but there are many Northern transplants, surprisingly. Many of my neighbors are from Canada, the midwest, New York, DC, etc. People are friendlier in FL, through my experience.

Traffic is a lot more painful in Hampton Roads, esp VA Beach. It is unbearable and I came from DC.

Traffic for Jax is not as bad, in my own experience (I live in Orange Park) - even during rush hour.

Summary of winners

Friendliness: FL
Cost of living: FL
Cost of housing: FL
Traffic congestion: FL
Beach quality: FL
Golf: FL (all year)
Outlet malls: FL (with future expansion)
Hurricane threats: VA

With that being said, my wife wants to move back to VA Beach and I will probably buy a beach house up there, and sell my house here.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 6,713 times
Jax without a doubt. I was born & raised there & now live in VAB because of my fiance's job. We can't wait to get back there! So far the thing we dislike the most about VAB is that everything is strip malls! We have only found a handful of restaurants that stack up to what we had in Jax, not to mention that there are so many great historical neighborhoods. If you want to live at the beach, I recommend Atlantic Beach. It's got great restaurants, & it's more residential & not so touristy. The beaches themselves are so much nicer! Just lots of white soft sand! If you are looking to live more in town, Avondale/Riverside is my favorite area. Lots of restaurants & shops, about 10 minutes from downtown, san marco, ortega. The one thing I would say is stay away from Orange Park! Crazy traffic, & lots of cookie cutter neighborhoods & strip malls...no originality! Plus Jax is close to lots of other cities that are great for things to do for kids & adults. St Aug is right down the road, Orlando is not too far for theme parks. Also Valdosta is pretty close for more theme parks. Another awesome area to check out is Amelia Island/Fernandina. Hope this helps & good luck

Old 07-04-2009, 01:24 PM

27 posts, read 152,691 times
Virginia Beach without a doubt. I lived there for 7+ years & now recently moved to Jax - Orange Park specifically. Oh & if you care about good schools, you probably won't be "living at the beach". Maybe you can afford private school education - but I can't. Most people in my situation end up in Mandarin or Orange Park because of the "A" rated schools. Which - pls don't get me started on that either. My son was in a gifted program at Ghent (Norfolk,VA) and came here to find out the kids are light years behind him.

Real Estate - Sure you can pick up a house far cheaper in Florida but you have to seriously weigh what is important in your family lifestyle. BTW - the houses around the "A" rated schools are very poorly built because they were thrown up during the boon years. Do not buy anything without an moisture & infrared inspection on your home!! Rain/moisture = mold here in Florida. No one warned this Northerner so don't make my mistake. I thought I was getting a steal of a home here in Florida, ha, ha, ha.

I felt that the Hampton Roads area had both family activities plus offered something for a child free night on the town. Family stuff: Neptune Festival, Blackbeard Festival, Strawberry Festival, Beach Artwork, hike First Landing State Park, Ocean Breeze waterpark, the aquarium, Busch Gardens AND Water Country only 45 minutes away. Beach bum at the oceanfront, Chrysler Hall for theater, Scope for sporting events, Norfolk Tides a great night out with the kids. Note that 95% OF THIS is within 30 minutes in either direction around town.

Jax is huge... drive, drive, drive, drive and drive some more. You want a roller coaster? You have to drive into Georgia or 2.5 hrs to go to Orlando. Eitherway you are staying over night so those "little" family outtings cost much more. For me to go to the beach....45 minutes to St. Augustine. Dining out in the Orange Park area is so depressing. So if you like to dine out - don't move here unless you want to drive to another part of the local area. I consider dining out more than sitting in Applebees or the drive through at Chick-fil-a. I felt that Virginia Beach had the Oceanfront & Town Center was so full of energy. The comedy club in Town Center was awesome. Norfolk had all of great bars & restaurants on Granby Street. Ice skate outside at MacAurthur during the winter. Want to fly away for the weekend? Two major airports were close in Hampton Roads.

Sorry Jax this New Yorker isn't quite feeling the love just yet. Orange Park people DO TELL me where I can go out to eat within 20 minutes of here!

Oh - gas prices are higher here in Florida too.... so all the driving you'll be doing takes a major toll on your wallet.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:17 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times
If eating out is your favorite pastime I would have to hand it to Virginia Beach. If sandy beaches and warmer winters are at the top of your list, then Jax takes the cake. But whatever your choice, Virginia Beach is the least family friendly city according to Forbes, an analysis that was based mainly of affordability. But I still like VB for an occasional visit .

In Depth: Best And Worst Cities For Families - Virginia Beach, Va. - Forbes.com

Last edited by cricketfan; 07-04-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 9,601 times
My husband and I moved here in Feb after living in Va Beach my whole life.

I would say the housing here is cheaper as well as the utilities. But the area is a bit more sketchy. We live in orange park, for its proximity to the base, so I can only speak to that area but it seems depending on which way you turn down the street you either get reasonably nice, though no where near as diverse, shopping; or about 4 or 5 nudie bars... Hampton Roads has its share of spots like that as well but most of them aren't at the Beach (they're more in Norfolk and parts of Poutsmouth)

We dont have children, and neither of us want to while hes still stationed here, but I know the Va public schools received much higher rankings than Fl according to the Chamber of Commerce. Va Beach as an area and on the whole seems much more family friendly to me.

The beach in Va is also nice because it offers a long boardwalk full of shopping and places to eat if you get tired of swimming and the city has also started offering street performances on weekends which were very family oriented. We've only been to one beach here and it was less crowded and maybe the sand was a little whiter... but it didnt offer anything else to do.

Jacksonville is also much more spread out than Va Beach, The beach is about a 45 min drive from us. In Va it was maybe 20. There are convenient restaurants and shopping here but in Va there was much more to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville