Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 AM

17 posts, read 39,606 times

Advertisements

Before moving to Jacksonville (4 weeks ago) I googled some volunteer opportunities and found one where I could read to first graders. I loved this idea, but foolishly didn't bookmark the page. Now I'm ready, I can't find this anywhere. Not too sure if it was through United Way, but can't find it on their webpage. I'm hoping one of you great folks can point me in the right direction with a phone number, website, anything.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,491,899 times
This thread might be helpful:

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ksonville.html

Old 11-08-2008, 05:09 AM

549 posts, read 2,207,564 times
You're also able to volunteer at the schools...so if you're interested in reading to the kids, or perhaps become active in other ways, here's links
Quote:
volunteers
Volunteers are an important part of student success in Duval County Public Schools. More than 18,000 volunteers support schools each year, and the number is growing. Our office works to increase the number of volunteers in schools in order to improve student learning.

School Volunteers
All volunteers are required to complete an application and undergo a criminal background screening conducted through the Community and Family Engagement Department. All Principals have the decision-making authority regarding volunteers and volunteer opportunities at the schools. Approved volunteers are issued cards identifying them as authorized volunteers.

Volunteer Coordinator
Each school in Duval County is required to have a designated Volunteer Coordinator or Liaison. These Volunteer Coordinators/Liaisons are responsible for developing and encouraging strong partnerships with school volunteers and businesses.

Community Involvement Awards
The Florida Department of Education offers many awards and special distinctions to schools that foster involvement and participation by parents, business partners, volunteers and the community at large. Plan to work with your principal and school faculty to qualify and apply for these outstanding opportunities. The Community and Family Engagement Office sends award applications at least four weeks in advance of the deadline.

Surrogate Parent Program
Duval County Public Schools Exceptional Education and Student Services Department is looking for volunteers to serve as surrogate parents. For program details and information, contact Judy Glendenning, FDLRS/Crown, Parent Services at 904-346-4601.

Cynthia Humphrey
Technical Manager
390-2935

Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 AM

17 posts, read 39,606 times
Thanks for your input. I've found some interesting opportunities that I'll follow up. Really appreciate this forum. I don't post much, but I do read a lot!

Old 11-15-2008, 06:42 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,234,700 times
You may be thinking of Communities in Schools. They do great work here in Jax. cisjax.org - About Us

Also check out Volunteer Jax. They serve as a central registry for non-profits and offer many opportunities for involvement. Welcome to Volunteer Jacksonville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: