Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 AM

18 posts, read 33,868 times

Advertisements

I personally find it amazing that people think that they can run from crime, race, or a demographic by moving to a certain neighborhood. Sure the frequency of crime is reduced by where you stay but I think we need to be honest to ourselves and admit that this world is getting more evil and corrupted every single day. Doesn't matter if you live in Queens Harbour or Moncrief. You're still surrounded by criminals. Can any of you tell me what a murderer looks like? How about a thief? A rapist? Of course you don't know because they come in all colors, shapes and sizes. The criminal mind never takes a day off. Its almost comical when I hear people say"I never thought I would see this in Jacksonville." Really? Whats so special about Jacksonville as opposed to Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Philly, or Los Angeles. If you want low crime statistics move to Lake City or somewhere nobody has ever heard of. But, if you want to remain in Jacksonville, you're going to have to come to grips that its going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Unfortunately, thats the way it is in the big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 02:52 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Actually, you're wrong about it getting worse.

Violent crime has been decreasing in Jacksonville (and nationally) for OVER a decade.

It's been a steady drop for many years.....so you're safer now than you were 3 years ago, even than you were 10 years ago. I think the peak was the early 90's.

I can give you actually stats if you like.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Im From Orlando. And Everyone On Here Tries To make Dade Seem SO bad When it really is not. I would love to move to dade but Im not Fluent in language so it makes no sense. Media puts a fear in people with Miami and it sickens me because like you said there are some excellent areas in the county who really is not bothered by the overwhelming crime.
No matter where you live - or what the crime profile of the area is - it's important to take reasonable steps to avoid being a victim. Steps that are appropriate in light of the crime level where you live. I live in a nice gated community in PVB - and there's crime here. Most is petty theft. Things like laptops being taken from unlocked cars parked in driveways - golf clubs stolen from garages left open all day. Simple remedy is don't leave laptops in your unlocked car. And close your garage door. Worse crime may call for more aggressive measures. But sometimes - I just don't know. My brother in Miami Beach once had his house burglarized while he was working on his boat (in his backyard). Burglar came in through unlocked back door - and left through the front door. I don't think I'd like living in a house where I had to lock my back door when I was on my boat in the backyard.

I guess the most important lesson I learned in Miami was never wear a gold Rolex watch. My husband bought me one for our 10th wedding anniversary (long time ago) - and I put it in the safe deposit box after a bunch of friends (including a federal judge) were bopped on the head and robbed while wearing that watch (in their driveways - in their workplace parking garages - in mall parking lots - etc.). You can wear a watch or a diamond ring that costs 5 times as much and no one will bother you. But a gold Rolex will get you every time (they're very easy to fence).

One thing always to take into account when trying to prevent crime. Don't come up with a cure that's worse than the disease. Don't put in burglar bars that might result in your getting trapped in a burning house. If you want a nice bolt lock (and most houses should have them) - get the kind that have panic lever door hardware on the inside (they're more expensive - but you won't be fumbling at the door if you have to get out in a hurry). Robyn

P.S. I think you're right about Spanish in Miami. It's an important job skill in most jobs/professions (I do ok - and my husband actually became fluent - he took private lessons for 2 years). My niece is a first year medical school student in Arizona - and we gave her a present of Pimsleur Spanish I (she will really need Spanish being a med student there). Said we would pay for the whole course - but she still hasn't finished the first series of lessons. Too bad.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

Violent crime has been decreasing in Jacksonville (and nationally) for OVER a decade.

It's been a steady drop for many years.....so you're safer now than you were 3 years ago, even than you were 10 years ago. I think the peak was the early 90's.

You know what they say. There are lies - da** lies - and statistics .

I don't think crime stats were accurate in the past - or are accurate today - so there's no way to compare. There's a difference between crime - and reported crime (and - as areas cut back on police - there's probably a tendency to report less crime).

Doesn't really matter. Unless people have their heads in the sand - they tend to know what's going on in their neighborhoods. And they can take appropriate steps to minimize their chances of becoming a crime victim. Sheriff Shoar (St. Johns County) comes to our community about 2-3 times a year to tell us what's going on - and to make recommendations (makes sense - he has to run for election ). Suspect the same goes on in various neighborhoods in Duval County. Robyn

Old 12-01-2010, 04:25 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Sheriff Rutherford has come to Ortega a few times in the past year to update the residents on what JSO was doing to control the increase in burglaries, home invasions, and assaults in the area. Nothing happens in Ortega anymore (it was only a 3-4 year stint where certain gangs/cliques had missions to do damage in Ortega and steal people's driver's licenses in the process). Gypsies took a back seat to hoodlums for a while

I do agree with FSU813, though, that overall very violent crime has gone way down. Back in 1992 when Jacksonville only had about 675,000 people there were about 200 homicides. Now Jacksonville has close to 850,000 people and will most likely have less than 100 homicides this year (was only 113 last year). I couldn't speak for the other crimes, which may largely go unreported, but I don't think full on murders go unreported for the most part (makes for a great news story )

Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

Do you really believe that you're safer now? I am never an advocate of statistics because most of the time they are littered with "technicalities."
I am from Carol City, one of the worst neighborhoods in Miami and probably Florida. It was recently brought to my attention that the statistics showed a decrease in violent crimes there as well over the last couple of years. As a matter of fact I dare anybody who doesn't live in Hialeah, Carol City, Liberty City or Opa Locka, to tell me with a straight face the violent crimes have decreased. Fsu813, I truly believe you have the stats to back up what you're saying but sometimes there is more to a problem than a piece of paper could ever show. Don't let statistics give you a false sense of security about Jacksonville, or any other city for that matter.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Im From Orlando. And Everyone On Here Tries To make Dade Seem SO bad When it really is not.

Well....to be honest with you it is that bad. If you visit the part of Miami I grew up in, you might change your perspective on life in Dade County. Its not Vietnam, but on some nights it seems like a pretty good re-enactment.But to be fair I did read one of your earlier posts and I agree its not a countywide epidemic like some may think.

Last edited by CanesFan81; 12-01-2010 at 06:33 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 05:46 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesFan81 View Post
Do you really believe that you're safer now? I am never an advocate of statistics because most of the time they are littered with "technicalities."
I am from Carol City, one of the worst neighborhoods in Miami and probably Florida. It was recently brought to my attention that the statistics showed a decrease in violent crimes there as well over the last couple of years. As a matter of fact I dare anybody who doesn't live in Hialeah, Carol City, Liberty City or Opa Locka, to tell me with a straight face the violent crimes have decreased. Fsu813, I truly believe you have the stats to back up what you're saying but sometimes there is more to a problem than a piece of paper could ever show. Don't let statistics give you a false sense of security about Jacksonville, or any other city for that matter.
Yes, but a lot of violent crimes that happen in Liberty City, Carol City/Opa Locka and parts of Hialeah are by people involved in drug hustling or who have disputes. Even in those hoods, you can live safely.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 PM

Just FWIW - my first job in Florida was in Liberty City. Legal Services of Greater Miami. Don't ask me to remember exactly where (it was 40 years ago). About 69th Street a block or two west of I-95. Near an old Morrison's Cafeteria that probably disappeared decades ago. Don't know whether Carol City is worse. Would be hard to handicap that race .

I think one has to take sensible precautions no matter what. When I first moved to Philadelphia in 1972 with my (then) new husband (he's my old husband now ) - he had a townhouse apartment on 19th and Spruce (nice neighborhood) - and one night someone climbed in our window and stole stuff from our bedroom while we were sleeping. We sued the landlord - and moved to a high rise the next week.

I have always felt the same amount of "safe" since (or more - but have been careful about where I live). OTOH - when I go to certain areas on foot (not in JAX or elsewhere in the US - areas outside the US) - I sometimes take some extra precautions. One in particular is "dressing down" - like in the winter wearing sweat pants and a sweat shirt and one of those pull over your head/ears hats (the kind that looks like a bowl - mine say TPC Sawgrass - but i don't think anyone looks that carefully ). Sneakers. No jewelry. Crummy looking purse that is always "face front" (can't be cut from the rear). I always feel warm and safe. Robyn

Old 12-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Im From Orlando. And Everyone On Here Tries To make Dade Seem SO bad When it really is not. I would love to move to dade but Im not Fluent in language so it makes no sense. Media puts a fear in people with Miami and it sickens me because like you said there are some excellent areas in the county who really is not bothered by the overwhelming crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Yes, but a lot of violent crimes that happen in Liberty City, Carol City/Opa Locka and parts of Hialeah are by people involved in drug hustling or who have disputes. Even in those hoods, you can live safely.
Oh, indeed you can live safely. I lived in that neighborhood(Carol City) for 21 years. I saw some things that would make some people pack up and move the same day but I grew immune to it, which is rather unfortunate I guess. Like you stated, drugs are a major problem in most inner city neighborhoods. I was one of those people hoping that weed would be legalized because if it was I think you would see some of these senseless crimes decrease in numbers. Well, at least I hope they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville