Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:03 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,523,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Thank you for posting this, I am considering a move to JAX from MD where I was born and raised. Don't get me wrong I love MD, but JAX sounds almost too good to be true. Nice weather, good balance of rural and urban, and I can't believe how cheap it is.
What part of MD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:08 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,523,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
I think lots of people get very confused by our large city limits. They honestly think they are moving to a city of 1.2 million people, or whatever the CMSA is these days. Then they get profoundly dissapointed when there's not much "city" here at all. They don't really understand that Jax is a "city" of about 200,000 people (around the pop of the pre-consolidated city) surrounded by a big 'ol suburb with the extra 1,000,000.

Furthermore, all the malcontents always seem to live out in the middle of nowhere anyway. You don't find too many residents of San Marco, Riverside, Avondale, Ortega, or San Jose talking about how much they hate Jax. It's always someone who moved out to some faceless subdivision out in the scrub pines.
I have to agree with Joe 100 times!! Man I used to hate those kids in school. The Navy would move them here and all would hear was Jax is boring, Jax is boring, but then you find out they don't have a car and they live in a 3 bedroom apt near 103rd & Chaffee. Of course life will be boring!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:19 PM

541 posts, read 2,287,014 times
Its a shame that posts with any sort of non-positive comments about Jacksonville get removed. This site is moderator biased towards positive posting and therefore is highly unrealistic. Can somebody pass the kool-aid?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:30 PM

238 posts, read 783,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
Photozel is exactly the type of person Jacksonville is made for. The sad part is Jacksonville is only designed for people like Photozel and does not provide for a good living experience for people who like diversity or city amenities or who are single and would like to meet an EDUCATED, QUASI SOPHISTICATED person on occasion.

So, you end up with a bunch of Photozels walking around who can't understand why a person who expects Jacksonville to have some city amenities or some sort of social scene that is not exclusively for UF/FSU/UNF alumni might actually complain about Jacksonville.

I mean this place is so small town, I can't even get a freaking haircut after 630 on a Saturday night. I guess I need to plan my day around the sun or something, like I am a farmer living in the middle of nowhere.

Well, I have to (as usual with your posts) respectfully disagree. I have lived in a couple different large cities, and I do enjoy diversity (ethnic,cultural, culinary, artistic...whatever) and I find a nice balance here in Jacksonville. It sure as heII isn't seattle, or New York or wherever you wish you were living right now, but it has some great characteristics EVEN for people who like to meet sophisticated, culturally diverse people. My gf is from north Jersey/ny city area and has grown to love jax. There was an adjustment, but there is def. things that we both love here that are not found in other cities. To each his own. But don't categorize everyone who "jacksonville is made for" into the op's situation.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:33 PM

560 posts, read 2,077,590 times
Quote:
Greatest Things to Do in Jacksonville

1. Drive to WalMart.
2. Drive over speed bumps in my apartment complex.
3. Laugh at the people on the local news.
4. Eat at some chain restaurant or walk around like a consumer zombie at the Town center.
5. Go to sleep at 11 on the weekends even though your in your 20's.
6. Plan a move to a real city.
7. Travel out of Jacksonville.
8. Drive around.
9. Drive.
10. Drive.
Aren't you the guy who lives out at JTB and Hodges?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if I lived out in an apartment complex off Hodges, I would hate Jacksonville too. Don't you think it's slightly unrealistic to live where you live and complain that Jacksonville isn't a good place for 20-somethings?

It's like living in Schaumberg and complaining that Chicago sucks. Or talking about how boring Miami is because you live in Homestead.

Regardless, your complaint about driving is totally valid, no matter where you live in Jax. The suburban sprawl is a huge problem, no doubt about it. However, I don't really think it's valid to bemoan the obvious pitfalls of suburban Jax, if you aren't attempting to take advantage of the great activites closer to town.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM

924 posts, read 2,605,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
What part of MD?
I'm originally from Silver Spring but now I live in St. Mary's county.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:01 PM

41 posts, read 132,233 times
Quote:
Its a shame that posts with any sort of non-positive comments about Jacksonville get removed. This site is moderator biased towards positive posting and therefore is highly unrealistic. Can somebody pass the kool-aid?
I guess I should inform you that I am a college graduate. Yep weird ain't it. I have a great job and great friends, and guess what, they are some college graduates, some are not. But you know what, that does not make a difference. It is the size the mind that is open, their heart that is there for friendship.

Please understand that being a negative demeaning person is not how to win an argument or disagreement.

If making your point is what you are after. Point taken.

I find JAX to be a great place to live and raise a family. If you do not, then I suggest going elsewhere and leave those of us who do, here, to waste away on our little beaches, with our small town attitudes. The terribly warm and humid weather that you seem to find here.

You will not be missed . Constructive voices of discontent are always welcome, yours seems to be more negative, just because you can.

If you see issues, offer up a solution.

Sorry, for the rant, but all these negative posts.......ugh.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:19 PM

Tried to go to a Panera today (Sunday) at 730.....closed....since 7. Yeah Jacksonville is awesome....awesome baby!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-VA-FL View Post
Well, I have to (as usual with your posts) respectfully disagree. I have lived in a couple different large cities, and I do enjoy diversity (ethnic,cultural, culinary, artistic...whatever) and I find a nice balance here in Jacksonville. It sure as heII isn't seattle, or New York or wherever you wish you were living right now, but it has some great characteristics EVEN for people who like to meet sophisticated, culturally diverse people. My gf is from north Jersey/ny city area and has grown to love jax. There was an adjustment, but there is def. things that we both love here that are not found in other cities. To each his own. But don't categorize everyone who "jacksonville is made for" into the op's situation.
Seriously, what could you love here? There are no parks, no public hangouts, no walkable neighborhoods, no public transport, flights are expensive out of the airport, the nearest big city is 6 hours, the mindset of the city is backwards, everything you see while driving is chain restaurants and box stores.....I mean if you had to plan a city that offered its people little character and lots of driving this is your place.

And the social scene sucks. I mean meeting a college educated person from a well known school in their 20's is like finding a needle in a freaking haystack. And the next time you see a hangout for people in their 20's that doesn't involve getting sloppy drunk while listening to dated hip-hop music let me know.

That's what Jacksonville's scene for 20's is: a drunken sloppy fest while dated hip hop music plays in the background.

Glad you found a Jersey girl!!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Aren't you the guy who lives out at JTB and Hodges?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if I lived out in an apartment complex off Hodges, I would hate Jacksonville too. Don't you think it's slightly unrealistic to live where you live and complain that Jacksonville isn't a good place for 20-somethings?

It's like living in Schaumberg and complaining that Chicago sucks. Or talking about how boring Miami is because you live in Homestead.

Regardless, your complaint about driving is totally valid, no matter where you live in Jax. The suburban sprawl is a huge problem, no doubt about it. However, I don't really think it's valid to bemoan the obvious pitfalls of suburban Jax, if you aren't attempting to take advantage of the great activites closer to town.
Come on....lets get serious here.

I have lived in different places on the southside. All the same. Suburban. closes at 10....if you're lucky that is. Usually closes at 7. Drive everywhere. Can't walk anywhere. Low density. I know the southside...whether you are at Southside and Baymeadows or Hodges and JTB its all the same. You might as well live in a cave.

Riverside and San Marco I must admit are cool....for the south. I mean some cities are nothing but Riverside and San Marco type neighborhoods...but I will give Jacksonville some credit for them. But, they are an older crowd 40 and 50's (San Marco) because few 20 year olds can live there. But it does still close at 10...if you're lucky. And there are like 4 or 5 restaurants there and there are no grocery stores. So, again I would drive lots in those "WORLD" class "SUPERFANTASTIC" neighborhoods.

As for Riverside, I tried to live there, but I didn't have enough tatoos and piercings on my body. Figured things would not workout. And again, that place is shut down by 10 except for the tatoo parlor and the punk rock joint. Do I sound like the type of guy is looking to go to punk shows? I mean give me a break.

I feel you are gonna come back with a what about the TownCenter post. Well, yes....it has always been my dream to pay NYC prices to have a view of a movie theater called Tinseltown from my apartment and yet still have to drive to it....even though I can see it from my apartment.... thanks but no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville