Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 23,198 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Moving to Jacksonville at the end of the month and considering St. John's Plantation apartments complex.

They seem to be nice for the price which normally means they are in a bad area.

Any feedback is great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 05:43 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubrus1 View Post
Hi All,

They seem to be nice for the price which normally means they are in a bad area.
I'm guessing you're relocating from a more expensive part of the USA? The rents at St Johns Plantation are not what I'd consider so cheap as to send up red flags. The Baymeadows area where they're located is a good one. Safe, convenient to shopping and highways, etc.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:17 PM

159 posts, read 655,945 times
I didn't care for them. When I was looking that was one of the ones a realtor sent me to. They said they had one like I wanted but the people had just moved out and it was being cleaned, not ready to show yet. Okay. So I drove over to it after I left the office and saw the screens were off and it looked like it might have been thru a little war. Maybe an eviction? Dunno but I was repulsed. The girl in office had piercings and tattos and certainily wasn't dressed businesslike. I had to wait since she already had a woman at the desk who was waiting for her to get off the phone. That woman was asking for the maintenance she'd been promised when she moved in several months before...okay.

Third stike was the cars in the parking lot. I learned that a long time ago. I judge the clientelle of a place by the cars in the parking lot. If you pull into a complex and see ghetto cruisers, keep driving! Same goes for restuarants, bars, malls, shopping centers - everything. That's my personal take on it and it's never failed me.

I ended up in Avenue Royale. My neighbors used to drive nice cars - like Jags - suddenly everyone is moving out and the rattletraps are moving in (called "move in specials"). Soon as my lease expires I'm outta here too. Rents are dirt cheap now and this place was as much as a mortgage but it was much nicer than most and much roomier.

Another thing is ask about "water bills". This place lied and told me I would "get a little water bill from the water company - oh, don't worry it's only about $10). I asked them who the water company was since I am in the city here. She "couldn't remember the name of it". I emailed the manager and she gave me the name of "it" which is a billing service that the apts use to charge you WATER, SEWER AND GARBAGE which starts out about $30 a month and jumps $20 a month! The apts are on city water and garbage. The bills are dreamed up. They found a loophole in the law that allows them to charge renters whatever they want and they are taking full advantage! They call it the RUBS method of billing. Best bet is to walk around the complexes and talk to neighbors. They should tell you the real truth about the utility bills.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville