Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,990,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
True, but isn't a large majority of the 295 flow going South, across the Buckman?
The afternoon commute over the Buckman is the nightmare when heading north on 295 -- there are times when the traffic wanting to get off on Hwy 17 will back up onto the Buckman Bridge. In the morning, the flow on 295 is headed south, but the Buckman isn't that bad.

moderngnome - to give you an idea of commute times, we live in Fleming Island (just south of Orange Park on Hwy 17). Our commute - 17 to 295 to Pritchard (west/northwest area of Jacksonville) was normally 30 minutes - sometimes a tad less, sometimes a bit more. The snarls (thick traffic) were at Commonwealth, I-10, and 103rd St -- if any of those roadways had a problem, it would sometimes spill onto 295. A little less than half of the commute time was spent on Hwy 17 actually - a lot of traffic, a lot of traffic lights. However, for us it was totally doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 AM

111 posts, read 223,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
The afternoon commute over the Buckman is the nightmare when heading north on 295 -- there are times when the traffic wanting to get off on Hwy 17 will back up onto the Buckman Bridge. In the morning, the flow on 295 is headed south, but the Buckman isn't that bad.

moderngnome - to give you an idea of commute times, we live in Fleming Island (just south of Orange Park on Hwy 17). Our commute - 17 to 295 to Pritchard (west/northwest area of Jacksonville) was normally 30 minutes - sometimes a tad less, sometimes a bit more. The snarls (thick traffic) were at Commonwealth, I-10, and 103rd St -- if any of those roadways had a problem, it would sometimes spill onto 295. A little less than half of the commute time was spent on Hwy 17 actually - a lot of traffic, a lot of traffic lights. However, for us it was totally doable.
Perfect! One of the neighborhoods I'm considering is Fleming Island. My husband's work would be right off Pritchard. Thank you so much!

How is Fleming Island? Would you describe it as rural/suburban? Is it close to stores and restaurants?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:56 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,990,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderngnome View Post
Perfect! One of the neighborhoods I'm considering is Fleming Island. My husband's work would be right off Pritchard. Thank you so much!

How is Fleming Island? Would you describe it as rural/suburban? Is it close to stores and restaurants?
Well, I am totally biased because I live here! :-) It was the perfect location for us and we have no regrets buying here. Great schools, safe, and definitely family-friendly.

I'd call Fleming Island 'suburban'. It's definitely not rural, but there are tons of trees and undeveloped land (which, like most places, is slowly changing). We have everything right here except a bookstore, and although there are a number of restaurants, there could be more variety for sure.

The only nuisance is traveling Hwy 17. It's about 6.5 miles from my house to I-295, and it can sometimes take 15 minutes on a trafficky day, but I've never found myself tearing my hair out.

Door-to-door travel times: to the airport 40 minutes; to St Johns Town Center (fantastic open-air mall) 30 minutes; to downtown Jacksonville 30-35 minutes; to the beach 40 minutes; to St Augustine 45 minutes; to Disney World 3 hours (and yeah, I've done Disney as a day trip many times :-)

Old 03-17-2009, 09:05 AM

111 posts, read 223,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Well, I am totally biased because I live here! :-) It was the perfect location for us and we have no regrets buying here. Great schools, safe, and definitely family-friendly.

I'd call Fleming Island 'suburban'. It's definitely not rural, but there are tons of trees and undeveloped land (which, like most places, is slowly changing). We have everything right here except a bookstore, and although there are a number of restaurants, there could be more variety for sure.

The only nuisance is traveling Hwy 17. It's about 6.5 miles from my house to I-295, and it can sometimes take 15 minutes on a trafficky day, but I've never found myself tearing my hair out.

Door-to-door travel times: to the airport 40 minutes; to St Johns Town Center (fantastic open-air mall) 30 minutes; to downtown Jacksonville 30-35 minutes; to the beach 40 minutes; to St Augustine 45 minutes; to Disney World 3 hours (and yeah, I've done Disney as a day trip many times :-)
Thank you so much! This information is exactly what I needed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville