Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,639 times

Advertisements

Howdy, Foax! I have been surprised at my inability to discover any publication detailing the history of Jacksonville during the 20th century. I was born there in 1948, and my family's roots were there from 1865 - 1953, so when I attempted to rediscover key aspects of the city's development before and after the 1901 fire, you can imagine my amazement at finding that there seems to be virtually nothing available in the public domain. I've tried a variety of Internet search engines, to no avail. New Orleans had its Lyle Saxon, Darien, Georgia had Melissa Faye Green, and I would have thought that someone from the Times Union would have written about Jax, but it ain't happened. Do y'all know something about this subject that I do not? Are there any publications that you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 11:48 PM

560 posts, read 2,077,145 times
Go to the Jacksonville Historical Society's website. They have at least two books for sale that are right up your alley.

As for free information, there used to be this great website done by a local librarian named Glenn Emery, but he passed away. Check out this Historical Society web-link for an archive - obviously not updated anymore. The Jacksonville Historical Society

Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
There is a dvd of Jax history that came out a couple of years ago. They aired it at the Florida Theater when it first came out. I went to learn more about the city's history and purchased one for a relative whose family has been here for generations. He said how much his mother enjoyed watching it, as it brought back memories. I don't remember how far back the video went, though.

This is interesting. Site of Cow Ford - Florida Historical Markers on Waymarking.com The marker for Cowford (the first name of the city) is located at the courthouse. I have never noticed it- but wil look the next time I am there.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,639 times
A note of sincerest appreciation and gratitude to Joe 4520832257 and HIF for your responses to my query regarding Jacksonville history. (So sorry that I've taken so long to get back to you, but I have been sidelined as the result of a knee operation gone seriously sour.)

Best always, Walt

Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
There are some really good books on Jacksonville history written by Wayne Wood. Also, Andrew Bachmann and Maria Mediavilla did a nice small book full of old Jacksonville postcards with historical text below the image:

The Jacksonville Historical Society

Old 06-02-2013, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 5,677 times
There is a book about the fire. I have a lot of historical books about Jacksonville, I have gotten some from the Historical Society and tours of the Evergreen Cemetery. You can find out information about Florida at Florida Humanities Consul. There is so much information. The only problem is you have to patch your resources together to get good information. There are several DVDs one called the City of Bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville