Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM

18 posts, read 38,104 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
This is my first post! My name is Teresa and I'm recently engaged. I'm planning a wedding in Jax (probably Atlantic Beach/Mayport area) for anywhere from 200-300 people in Sept 2010. We'd like to keep the budget from $5-10K. We are thinking it would be smart to have the wedding and reception at the same place as my family/friends will be flying in from Seattle for the event.

I'm posting to ask for places to have the wedding that are inexpensive yet spacious (that would allow us to bring our own caterers or simply cook ourselves), photographer recommendations, florist recommendations, places to get the tuxes, etc.

Thanks for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:24 AM

150 posts, read 577,046 times
I just got married last weekend, so I can definately try to help! There are a few things to consider. A wedding of 200 to 300 people is going to be kind of difficult to accomodate- most places that can hold that number are going to be more expensive. Also $5k-$10k doesn't sound like much for a wedding that large. Is that the budget for food only, or does that include DJ, photographer, etc.? A decent photographer alone is going to be about $1,000 and that may not include any actual pictures.

Anyway, I would look at Dolphin Plaza at Hanna Park. It can only accomodate 125 though. Dolphin Plaza

I have also heard good things about the Comfort Inn Mayport: Jacksonville Beach hotels, Comfort Inn Florida hotel close to the Gator Bowl, Jacksonville Beach FL

Best of luck!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
First, congrats on your engagement!

Second, phew! You're to be admired for challenging yourself to the task of planning a wedding from a bazillion miles away!

It can be presumed that not all of your 200-300 guests are coming from Seattle, right? Are the majority of your guests from the Atlantic Beach/Mayport area and that's why you chose that part of the First Coast? Only asking because that limits your options for reception space.

Perhaps this site can help you...
Event Planning in Atlantic Beach, Florida (FL) - Event Venues and Vendors

Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 AM

Thanks so much for the replies!!! That was quick! $5k-10k is the range I want to stay in for everything. I am still waiting to finalize budget with family, but I think that if we make the food ourselves, or even part of the food, instead of having it catered, then that is where we are going to save a lot of money. I had called around to a few places, the Hidden Hills country club, One Ocean Resort, and at Hidden Hills, the dinner prices start at $50/head and the One Ocean starts at basically $100/head. I just dont think that is what I'm going for. I don't want to go into debt over this wedding and at prices like that, that seems where it is headed.

So the guest list we tentatively comprised is from both Seattle/JAX people and their families. I guess out of the 130 people that I have invited from Seattle, that 30-50 people will actually come. My fiance said that in his experience, people in Florida don't need an invitation to come to a wedding, if they hear about it they will come. I don't know if that is the case all around, but I know that people will always try to come and you have to prepare for extras. So that means, that realistically, we are probably looking around 150-200 people who actually come.

I checked out Dolphin Plaza, and if we get the guest list down that far, that would be perfect! But not sure how plausible that is. And yes, most of his family is in that area. I was thinking a church would be great to have it at or a conference center, just not really sure what is offered. Anywhere close to the beach though, as I would really like the backdrop for pictures. If its close enough, the bridal party and us will just shoot over to the beach and get pictures, then head to the reception.

I'll check out the Comfort Inn too and will look at places on both jax beach and neptune beach. I'd even consider downtown jax, but I know its a drive from that area.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:26 PM

150 posts, read 577,046 times
I have never heard what your fiance said about Florida people just showing up to a wedding. That would be extremely rude, actually. Unless you tell people to just "show up" and spread the word around, instead of sending formal invites, I think you would be better off to estimate downwards (as in people saying they will come and not coming) as that is most people's experience.

I will tell you that I got my cake from Publix (grocery store chain) and it was the cheapest cake I could find in the whole city. It was delicious, but I was suprised at how expensive it was. If your budget is $5k-$10k, and cake is not critical to you, I would recommend getting a sheet cake instead of a tiered cake (kinda wish I had).

I will also tell you that I used Downtown DJ's (Jamie is the guy's name) as my DJ and I thought he did a fantastic job. I'm not sure what you were planning in the way of music, but his prices are posted on his website if you Google it.

Just since I already started babbling (and I am still recovering from my wedding which was in the same budget range as yours), I'll tell you who my other vendors were: Jerry Favorite for photography, Rev. Craig Grandstaff as officiant, and Anything With Plants and Flowers for centerpieces and bouquets.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Teresa

If other areas are an option you might want to look at the Ramada Conference Center (904) 694-4304 Jacksonville Hotel Ramada Inn | Weddings Events & Conference Center
It would be about 20 25 mins from the beach
I spoke with them regarding a fundraising event and they were able to provide the space for 200 and their prices were not bad at all
I spoke with Connie she was very helpful

I can also recommend a terrific DJ when you get to that point I was a DJ for 20 years so I am a little particular and I would let him do my wedding.

I also agree with what lightheaded1der said with regards to your cake , you can get a small tiered one for pictures of the "cutting of the cake" and have plain iced sheet cakes in the back for serving

Last edited by FLPL75; 05-28-2009 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: adding cake info

Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM

I know! I told him the same thing. He knows a ton of people from high school, it seems like everywhere we go he knows someone so I think he's just worried that they will just show up! It seemed weird to hear that too, I was like, who really does that, but maybe some people do?!?!? I don't know.

Thanks for the recommendations!!! You aren't the first person to mention Publix as a place to get the cake! I've heard that it saves a ton of money just getting a little cake to cut then some sheet cakes! I'll check out the places you recommended thank you so much!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 PM

Thanks Karla, I know another Karla with a K too! I checked out the Jax Ramada website and the buffet looks pretty reasonable! I'm going to request more information from them to check it out.

I'll take any recommendations you can give, I really appreciate the feedback!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for all your suggestions....I'm still trying to figure out where we are going to have the wedding. Now we estimate that there will be 150-250 people attending.

A few places I am considering are the Garden Club www.gardenclubofjacksonville.org
and the Ramona Pavilion www.ramonapavilion.com. I'm debating on whether to cater or not, I have thrown around the idea of having his family make the food (which they offered to do), serve buffet style and hire a few servers to make sure the food/beverages stay stocked, but I think that this could turn tacky very easily.

So the Ramada is probably out because we want to make sure that we can accomodate over 200.

Any other suggestions in Jacksonville? I am ok with going outside of Mayport area. Jax/Neptune beaches?

I'm planning a trip to come down in August to look at wedding sites, what other things would I need to take care of on this trip down there? Florists, DJs, etc?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgirl09524 View Post
Hi All,
This is my first post! My name is Teresa and I'm recently engaged. I'm planning a wedding in Jax (probably Atlantic Beach/Mayport area) for anywhere from 200-300 people in Sept 2010. We'd like to keep the budget from $5-10K. We are thinking it would be smart to have the wedding and reception at the same place as my family/friends will be flying in from Seattle for the event.

I'm posting to ask for places to have the wedding that are inexpensive yet spacious (that would allow us to bring our own caterers or simply cook ourselves), photographer recommendations, florist recommendations, places to get the tuxes, etc.

Thanks for any replies!
Hey, and congrats on the wedding. I was recently married and can tell you that for your budget, its gonna be really hard to accomodate that many people! Is that number the number you think will actually show up, or just the number you're inviting? Honestly, Jacksonville's wedding locations that will hold that many people will be out of your range. But I got married at Ocean Breeze Conference Center. Its on Mayport's Naval Base and is on the beach, you could check them out. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville