Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 AM

72 posts, read 464,785 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to start a worm composter & keep it in my garage. I was just curious if anyone does this locally & will the worms live in the heat of the garage through the summer? Would it be better to keep it on the screened-in patio? Is there a stench? Trying to get DH on board isn't easy!

Also, I want to stop using chemical/synthetic fertilizers & weed killers on my lawn. If you do this yourself, is it an easy process? I'm a busy mom with two young kids & a husband who works a ton. Where is a good place to buy green supplies locally? Are there any local companies that provide this service that are recommended?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 08:33 AM

725 posts, read 2,571,745 times
I have a composter that I keep in my service court. It doesn't smell but it does leak the "tea juice". There's a reservoir in the base to collect the liquid but since I don't want to empty it I just let it run out into service court and into the surrounding area. If it had a proper mix of dry grasses the drainage would be less but its kinda difficult to do because there's usually more compost than dry leaves on hand. The composter needs to be in direct sunlight to heat up. I don't know think that would work in a garage. I bought a second composter that snaps together on all sides but it busted open after I filled it with tons of oak tree leaves. I returned it. The tumbler kind are much better, fairly indestructible. It's absolutely amazing how much stuff I put into the composter! I keep a special pop-open lid garbage can in the breakfast area for only compost material, coffee grounds, banana peels, watermelon rinds and egg shells. The only problem is finding dry materials in the summer. In the fall there are tons of leaves but in the summer there aren't many dried up things so you have to make your own (grass clippings left to air dry a bit). Its a lot of fun composting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville