Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 5,725 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My fiance and I will be moving to the Jacksonville area in early November. He will be working for the SDDC on Blount Island, we think, all the information hasn't been given yet. We will only be staying a year so we are looking for an apartment. We are both from Ohio, he's actually living in Virginia right now, so both of us getting together to go apartment hunting is a little rough. We are also getting married in October so we have a lot on our plate!!! I am a nurse and looking for a hospital to work in as well. I've been looking at Baptist Medical Center-does anyone have any suggestions in that department?? On the apartment issue, we are looking for 2 bedroom, gated community preferable. Thanks everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 AM

725 posts, read 2,571,745 times
Baptist is good choice. There is a new community that one of our posters posted pictures of out there on the Northside. Its new and probably gated. Anyone remember what that new area was called, Gradco (I think) talked about it?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 AM

725 posts, read 2,571,745 times
River City Marketplace | Jacksonville FL | Metro Jacksonville

I was thinking of this place but I don't see apartments nearby. Northside gets bad press but there are some nice areas but you have to find them.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM

13 posts, read 80,004 times
I looked at Mirador at River City when they first opened early last year. They seemed pretty nice, especially considering there aren't very many apartment complexes on the northside. Being very close to the River City Marketplace can be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it.

EDIT: Just searched the forum and found this old thread with pictures of the River City Marketplace. If you get towards the bottom, you'll start seeing pictures of the apartments at Mirador.

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...partments.html

Old 06-10-2009, 09:07 AM

Thanks everyone!! Mirador looks very nice, I'm going to check that out now. So Nothside is a good choice???

Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Thanks a lot for the Northside recommendation! It looks like it's about the same distance to his job and mine and everything is right there at River City, which is perfect when you're moving to a new area!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anleigh View Post
Thanks everyone!! Mirador looks very nice, I'm going to check that out now. So Nothside is a good choice???
Northside overall isn't the safest part of town, but like anywhere else, it's got some good parts. So it should be ok if you choose carefully, and it was probably recommended because of its proximity to Blount Island. Arlington is also close by, but carries a similar negative perception as well.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 AM

13 posts, read 80,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anleigh View Post
Thanks a lot for the Northside recommendation! It looks like it's about the same distance to his job and mine and everything is right there at River City, which is perfect when you're moving to a new area!
I think that if you are only going to live somewhere for a year or so, the Northside is just fine. I'm not going to lie, there are a lot of low-income trailer park-type neighborhoods and the like right around you. The River City Marketplace is as nice as it gets up there. I think you could do worse in Jacksonville (Northwest, for example). I would say the best way to determine if you can handle the area is to walk inside the Wal-Mart at River City. You'll usually see people at their worst in Wal-mart, so you can decide for yourself if you can handle it or not.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:07 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscmj84 View Post
You'll usually see people at their worst in Wal-mart, so you can decide for yourself if you can handle it or not.
lol.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 PM

200 posts, read 619,284 times
I live near Blount Island-so I am biased But we don't have ANY problems up here. A friend of mine is a cop on this side of town and says its a concensus that this is the cake walk zone! I feel safe and think that Northwest Jax has the negativity associated. It takes me 20 mins to get to everywhere. You could also try Southside/St. John's Town Center and try for a position at St. Lukes/Mayo and then your hubby would do the traveling..good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville